Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #1
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
night weaning ?

Well, I actually don't want to night wean. DS is 8 months so I don't expect him to go from 7p-7a without nursing at least once. I just wish he would sleep a little longer. I start him in his crib but he often wakes 1-2 hours later. I have to nurse him back down, then he might sleep another 2-3 hours, then I get in bed with him, as it's usually midnight or so and we co-sleep the rest of the night but I feel like he nurses ALL.NIGHT.LONG!

So, I wonder how I might be able to cut back? Is it possible? My older 2 were finger suckers but this one doesn't do that OR take a paci, so he fully relies on nursing back to sleep.

I'm not opposed to some CIO, more like fuss it out, but I won't let him get hysterical, but so far that hasn't worked.

Got any tips??

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Leaner
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: night weaning ?

No help, but man Natalie is the same. way. Last night she nursed every 45 mins for a moment or 2 but then my 6 yo had a nightmare and slept on me as well. I got NO sleep at. all. yawn.
Leaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

We're going through this right now too. There is an 8-10 month sleep regression, apparently. I'm just trying to tough it out....
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

man, I felt like I got him out of the 4 month regression in that he would sleep 4-6 hours and now another one?!? Ugh...My 2 older ones NEVER did this. They started STTN by 8-10 weeks (and I mean 10 hours!) and always have, except for illness. They did start getting a bottle of formula around 4-6 weeks and at that point started sleeping 6 hours. Lots of mamas here tell me the formula has nothing to do with it. Part of me believes that b/c I do know of plenty of FF babies that didn't STTN and plenty of BF babies that have, but it's hard not to think it had something to do with it since my other 2 did so well. At least that's what DH thinks...

We're headed back east in a couple of weeks to visit family for Christmas so I know he'll get screwed up then anyway.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Different babies are different. DD1 was a GREAT sleeper. DD2, 4hours is good, at 11months! I think Bfing can have a small effect, as breastmilk digests more quickly, but formula is clearly no guarantee. If it's really worth it you could try it, but it may not matter. Some people just have more trouble sleeping
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No help here either, but going through the same thing. DS, also 8 months, is down around 7/7:30, and wakes up att least two and often three times a night. I'm so tired, but when he nurses he is a very active eater.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think it's fine to see if other comfort measures will help him settle in the night if you have just nursed him within the last couple of hours. You might need your DH to do them, though, maybe even with you in another room, for that part of the night. Patting, shushing, even rocking, maybe?

My DS takes a pacifier, so that's different, but last night he woke up about an hour after I'd last nursed him, so I just replaced the pacifier, patted his tummy, and shushed him a little bit. He slept 5 more hours after that!! (Of course, my 3 year old woke me up in the middle of that time, so I didn't get to enjoy the long stretch . . . .)

My DS is such a relaxed baby, though--my DD would never have done something like that.