Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:03 AM   #11
lj2blessed
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: *planned c-section* Help me make my birth plan!

The one thing I wish was different from my section was that they either wait until I'm numb "down there" to insert my catheter or either announce it first. I was lying there and felt hands between my legs which was NO BUENO considering a baby wasn't coming from there, KWIM? I think I squoze my legs together quickly and said, "Oh no!?!?" THEN the nurse said, "Oh sugar, I'm just puttin in your foley!"

Advertisement

lj2blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #12
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
I am slowly assembling a birth plan, and because I like to be thorough, I'm including a birth plan for a repeat cesarian section just in case it does become necessary, although my first and most vehement choice would be a VBAC. My cesarian was a last minute decision, so I knew nothing of my choices going in, nor could I make them known.

Things I am including:

I must not have my arms strapped down. This was probably the most traumatic part of my cesarian the first go around. I was not expecting it and being restrained caused me no end of panic. That and I couldn't signal when I had a mouth full of vomit and couldn't expell it, which make me panic more.

I want my husband and child to follow me to recovery. Being separated from my newborn baby, knowing that everyone in my family was getting to hold her before me was torture. I felt so cheated.

I want to nurse ASAP - if not on the OR table, then in recovery.

I definitely don't want a second scar if possible.

Unless absolutely necessary, I don't want to be knocked out. I recognise that sometimes in emergency situations that's required, but short of that, no thanks. I plan to find out what method/drug the anesthetist used during my cystectomy earlier in the year, because whatever it was I reacted badly to it and couldn't stop vomiting - I'd like to avoid that this go around.

If I cannot be with my child because the baby is ill and needs help elsewhere, my husband is to go with the baby. I want one of us at minimum to be with him or her.

I want something other than morphine for pain once the spinal wears off - morphine makes me loopy and tired.
All those sound good! I want to make one this time too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj2blessed View Post
The one thing I wish was different from my section was that they either wait until I'm numb "down there" to insert my catheter or either announce it first. I was lying there and felt hands between my legs which was NO BUENO considering a baby wasn't coming from there, KWIM? I think I squoze my legs together quickly and said, "Oh no!?!?" THEN the nurse said, "Oh sugar, I'm just puttin in your foley!"
Oh yeah, that part sucks, I made them wait until I was numb, they didn't mind, so yes let them know.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #13
png_lovebirds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj2blessed View Post
They didn't wait?!? What?! They gave me a choice.....like I was going to choose to feel the catheter go in! So, they waited until I was numb to insert it!
png_lovebirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #14
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by png_lovebirds View Post
They didn't wait?!? What?! They gave me a choice.....like I was going to choose to feel the catheter go in! So, they waited until I was numb to insert it!
I think they did mine before I even went down, so I felt it. But yeah, some warning is nice....
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmeow View Post
After my first thread for support on c-sections i have realized I still need a birth plan, this is going to be different then any other plan i have set up with my other 3 babies! SO Id like help getting this started.. Im starting with a totally blank plan! What i really want is for my baby to not leave mine/BF's eye site.. I want her in the OR with me and to follow me to recovery. I want her to nurse ASAP! -- i really know nothing about sections as my first one was a total emergency and i was put under!

and let the ideas/comments and SUPPORT begin!!

Jessica
Should be totally doable, mama!

I just had my second c/s, and while it wasn't the VBAC I was hoping for, it went very well.

I had an epi (had gotten it a few hours prior while in labor). My arms were not strapped down (the doc said they liked to do it to prevent your arms from falling off the table, but he had no problem leaving me unstrapped). My doc did cut into my old scar. Baby was out about 15 minutes into the surgery, DH went with her while they weighed her, etc. and he was able to bring her back and sit by me after 10 minutes while they finished stitching me up. It took about 30 minutes for them to finish after baby was out, and then we all went to a little recovery room right off the main surgery room so they could monitor my BP, heart rate, and whatever else for 15-20 minutes. I was able to nurse DD about 30 minutes after she was born. The only problem I had during the surgery was nausea, but I got IV meds for that and it went away immediately.

Except for the 10 minutes right after she was born, baby didn't leave my side for our entire hospital stay.

Last edited by sisu; 11-29-2011 at 01:25 PM.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #16
ho11yb
Registered Users
seller

You may have seen my earlier post about my recent repeat C section, bUt what made it a much better experience was not having my arms strapped down, having the baby brought to me immediately so I could touch him. He wasn't able to be laid on my chest during the procedure, but dh was holding him & I could touch his hands, stroke his face, etc. While I was put back together dh went with the baby to the nursery for weighing, etc. As soon as I got to the recovery room, the nurse with me called to the nursery and DS was brought to me naked except for his diaper & wrapped in a blanket. He was immediately placed on my bare chest for skin to skin contact. He had not yet been given a bath. Even though I was still largely numb, he was on my chest & the nurse helped us to nurse with me still laying down. It was only after I was moved back to a regular room and I agreed to it was DS given his first bath. We had hours of skin to skin contact first. Anytime DS was out of our room for hearing tests, etc. Dh was permitted to go with him.

Eta-my doc routinely cuts out the old scar so you only have one scar.

Blame the typos on the iPad!

Last edited by ho11yb; 11-29-2011 at 09:10 PM.
ho11yb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

My first c/s was traumatic for me- though it was necessary (dd arms were wrapped up around her head and folded backwards on top her head- she was wedged in my pelvis, and came out with bruises on both sides of her eyes and up and down both arms because of the way she was stuck during 13 hours labor) during the c/s the docs wouldn't listen to me when I told them I was dizzy- I can't lay flat on my back without my head being raised at least a little without getting dizzy. Well, between that and my blood pressure dropping, I passed out, missed DD moment of birth, and her first cries- all that- I don't really remember much until later when she had already been in the nursery for several hours, had a bath, been given a bottle of sugar water, etc.

Fast forward to DS birth- I was planning a VBAC, but started having contractions, which petered out after a few hours, but I thought my water had broken, called MW, who said to come in just to be checked- turns out it wasn't broken, but I changed my mind while there, and decided to just have the repeat c/s- mentally, I was done with being pg (it was 2 days before my actual dd)

It turned out that my second c/s was very healing for me in terms of being a positive experience that overshadowed my DD c/s. Everything was different this time- the mw stayed with me and my DH, they made sure my head was raised a bit so I didn't get dizzy, kept good control of my BP, told me everything that they were doing as they did it. They held DS up for me to see all bloody and gunky, and had positioned the warmer and scale where I could see them- so I could see DS while they checked him over- and I got to see him being weighed for the first time right then. they wrapped him and DH held him while they finished on me, then once they put me back on the gurney, they handed him to me while I was still in the OR and I was able to latch him once they got us int othe recovery room a couple minutes after that.

The whole hospital stay DS only left my side a couple times- and that was at my request so I could get a couple hours sleep- and they brought him back as soon as he started rooting so I could nurse him again.

This pg, I am planning a VBAC again, but we will see- I have placenta previa- but it has moved a lot according to the u/s we had on friday, doc thinks it will move in time. I really am preparing myself for a VBAC, but am at peace with the fact I may need to have another c/s- or I may decide last minute to change my mind- I'm keeping my options open :-)

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #18
Twinvillageiowa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just an FYI, 2nd sections usually take longer if they go through the old scar because they have to cut through all the scar tissue and adhesions. I was a doula for my friend and her 2nd c-section took like 40 min. longer just because they had to cut through all that stuff! So do whatever you have to in order to stay comfortable in case it takes longer.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm planning a HB but I do have a hospital plan jic of transfer. Here's the info pertaining to c/s. I've been told that it's important to highlight/bold/underline what you find important for when staff get too busy they see the most important parts when scanning it.

I do not agree to student doctors being present during my treatment

If a cesarean section becomes necessary, I would prefer to remain awake with epidural or spinal block anesthesia. Please avoid single layer suturing and have uterus closed in two layers. I would like my partner to stay with me at all times, and would like to breastfeed the baby as soon after birth as possible.

If there are problems after the birth:

If I suffer a severe post-partum hemorrhage, please do not perform a hysterectomy unless it is the only available course of action.

Please do not admit my baby to Special Care simply for observation, but only if there is a specific reason for concern. If my baby is admitted to Special Care, (husbands name) is to be with Baby at all times.

I would like my partner to stay with me at all times, and would like to breastfeed the baby as soon after birth as possible.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 PM   #20
Lilmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First of all I want to thank EVERYONE for sharing BOTH your expierences and your plans for future births!! I feel like having a plan in set is SUPER important to me.. especially for after she is out of me.. I feel like thats more important to me then the actual procedure.. BUT without you ladies I would have NO IDEA what to ask for or mention to the dr come the 8th when i go.. I had no idea about the spinal vs the epidural.. i didnt even think they would hold my arms down.. my mom mentioned it to me today and i was like oh hell no... and she said YOU HAVE TO but it was 26 years ago she had her section Im sooo happy i have these thoughts and questions for my dr!!

I have a horribly high scar that is HUGE still even 2 years later! Dr said she plans on going waaay lower then the one i have and not use this one.. im totally okay with that especially since PP said it will take less time to get through and put back together.. HOLY cow you guys.. that reeeally freaks me out.. I kinda figured it was quicker then that... 30 min to "put everything back together" is a loooong time!! that reeeally freaks me out.. ugh.. i hope i goes by fast...

PP said that she freaked out about not having baby with her at all times because of the thought of family and everyone holding him/her before her.. HOLY cow im so stinkin selfish this is one of my biggest fears :X ... After DS was born I refused to let anyone have him... it was hard for me to let ANYONE have him in the hopsital or at home.. it took me weeks to let go of him.. i slept with him in my arms NO JOKE for the first 3 months... SO i reeeally need things to go smoothly.. I dont want to be so crazy this time

AH you ladies totally rock! im bumping this up for more ideas , stories and expierences!

sorry i suck at spelling!!

Get Free Twitter Followers
Lilmeow is offline   Reply With Quote