Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #31
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: *planned c-section* Help me make my birth plan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SootheBaby View Post
I've had two c-sections-both totally different experiences. My advice is to find a doctor you love and a hospital that will work with your needs.

As for the scar, my second doctor cut out my first scar when she made her incisions. The old scar tissue is gone, and I have a (much nicer looking) small line in its place.

Another last bit of advice: Do NOT get staples -- request stitches instead. My staple scar looked horrible and bumpy, but my new scar is barely noticable. Looks like a plastic surgeon did it!
I had staples and glue, they are tiny staples and my scar is very small and barely noticeable at all. The dr who delivered my last two kids though, removes the staples the following day of the cs both times. When I had dd, he came in the next morning to remove the staples and I freaked out, I knew others who had them left in for 2 weeks and had them removed at that first 2 week pp appt, my dr didn't do that so maybe that's why my scar is flat?
My scar was also done nicely, the dr cuts off any scar tissue so your scar lays flat and you have minimal scarring at all. I need to write down some things to ask this new dr I am seeing.

Advertisement

Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #32
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristin View Post
Are you familiar with "natural" c-sections? They are gaining popularity - thank goodness! Here's a great video that explains them. If I end up having to have another c-section, I'm definitely going to request this type of experience!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg
wow, that is very interesting!! I would love to get this kind, with my ds2, I didn't get to hold him until 5 hours after he was born, i saw him briefly when he was born then didn't see him at all again until about 5 hours later, I was not happy about it. I want to keep my baby with me the whole time.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #33
Lilmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

SO i had my check up last week and I was able to get a few questions in about the section we will be scheduling.. First of all looks like Monday the 19th of March is going to be our date.. it isnt penciled in tho.. SO i guess ill find out for sure (hopefully) next appointment which is on the 5th of next month!

***When do they normal "pencil" you in for a section? Ill be a few days shy of 29 weeks at my next appointment***

I asked about the baby coming to ME after she was delivered and the dr said NO.. she will go right to be cleaned up weighed and checked out.. I told him how important it was for me to have skin to skin contact with her RIGHT away..he sort of brushed it off...He did say that DAD will always be with the baby but she would go right to the nursery after she was cleaned up and i had a peak at her.. WHICH means.. she wont be staying in the OR with me for that 20min or so that im being put back together this bothers me SO MUCH! How do I get my way here.. I have a feeling I wont

I asked about cloth diapering and it threw the dr in a loop.. He did say he has NEVER had anyone suggest/use or ask that question before (WEIRD to me lol) and that he thinks it could be a violation of health code but wasnt sure and advised me to contact the head of the ob department for the hospital (she is going to get used to me it looks like lol..ive already talked to her 2 times regarding the vbac..) When i call ill also be asking about why i cant have her on my chest right away.. and why she cant stay in the OR with me.. IT BUGS ME that bf will get to have her before me.. it reeeeaaallly does bc as sad as it is.. i know hes her dad.. BUT he will not be there for her forthe weeks/month after birth like i will... I want that bonding with her FIRST.. he had Ocean first too while i woke up from recovery (better then noone tho bc i was knocked out..) and really that was the only time he cared for himtill he was like over a year old.. AND im already anxious about this.. like im going to make sure that there is NO family there so that she doesnt get passed around before I get to bond withher.. and she gets to smell me i ireeeally dont want that :/ selfish or whatever you want to call it i dont care but im bugged by this..HELP!

oopsie.. did that turn into a vent?

Get Free Twitter Followers
Lilmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #34
Lovinmama3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For my last c-section I got to see the baby when he was born and saw him getting cleaned up (right next to my head) and weighted. Then he was handed to daddy for about 5 minutes and then taken to vital. Daddy went with DS2 and it lasted all of 15 minutes and by that time I was being wheeled into the recovery room in which I stayed for 2 hours until they were ready to wheel me into a long-term room for my 3 day stay. Anyway, DH wheeled DS2 into my recovery room after his 15min vital check and he stayed with me from then on. I had a wonderful experience and I did write a brief birth plan including - do not give me a play by play of the surgery, keep the nausea meds coming during surgery as I tend to get nausous, DH will stay with baby at all times and we delayed a bath until hours after birth, I wanted to nurse right away within 30 mins from giving birth, no shots for baby at the hospital, and that is all I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #35
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I had staples as well and my scar is just a very faint string thin line. They really did a good job.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #36
xO_mommaK_Ox
Registered Users

My first c-section was unplanned. Though not exactly "emergency" per say, it was treated as one. DH got to see DS right when he was born, held him, brought him over to me to see him, then he was whisked away to the nursery. I was told by the time I got back to my room, which at this hospital, the maternity ward was on a different floor than the labor and delivery, so I didn't end up getting DS into my arms until about 2 hours after birth. Needless to say I was unhappy.

With DD it was like night & day. It was planned and they planned it for 39 weeks. They told me everything I was to expect before I even went into the hospital for my appointment. When I got there, they gave me a room, which would be the room I stayed in for my whole visit. The room was like a studio apartment and was amazing. (different hospital btw). When I went into the OR I was alone, they prepped me and then went to get DH prior to beginning surgery. They talked to me through the curtain and told me everything that was going on. The anesthesiologist was not in my face like the last one, and it was just so much more relaxing. When DD was born, they told DH to come on over and he assisted with everything in the cleaning, weighing, etc. they offered him to cut the cord, which they did not at the other place, he declined, but at least they offered it. After she was all cleaned up they brought her to me and I got that skin to skin contact the entire time they were putting me back together, although it was a weird position and I did end up having DH take her for the last 5 mins or so. Right before they were finished they brought her right into my room with DH. Five minutes later they brought me in and she was there. From that time until the time I left, she was out of my sight for tests or what have you, not more than 2 hours total.

So, there is a way! It may not be the hospitals "policy" but it should be their goal to keep you 100% satisfied and 100% comfortable. And if they will not tend to your needs, then maybe you should find a new OB that is with a different hospital. You are still early enough in pregnancy to do so, it's only a matter of whether you want THEM to tell YOU what to do, or if you'd like to be in charge. GL mama!
xO_mommaK_Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #37
TexasRachel
Registered Users
seller
seller

They'll schedule your csection for sure when they get the dr's & hospital's schedule done. Usually a couple of months before the actual date.

If your DD is in your room the entire time then you using cloth won't be an issue. The problem if she's in the nursery will be the nurses' won't know how to use cloth. It'll be one more thing for them to take care of so they'll drag their feet on it. With DS3, I just used disposable in the hospital, the meconium had gone through by the time we left so I didn't have to worry about staining.

Mom to DD(16), DS(7), DS(4), DS(2), and one waiting in heaven for us.
TexasRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #38
Lilmeow
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ive read over and over the the meconium doenst really stain... im okay with it if it does for some reason having girly parts seam more exposed then boy parts.. I really dont want to use sposies on her at all... if it were to happen.. then fine.. BUT really if i can avoid it I will... She will not be in the nursery at all.. They sleep so much when they are nb anyways im sure ill get my rest.. IF i do have to send her there (if no family is there with me) then ill just send them with an easy diaper or something.. and make sure they arent like busy there.. its a super small hospital so its hit or mis..I still have yet to have anyone call me back i bet she wont till tomorrow

Jessica- mama to 3 boys and a girl in march!!

Get Free Twitter Followers
Lilmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #39
skolbut
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my section, my DS had to go to the warmer to get weighed, etc. but it was in the OR and DH was right there... I couldn't see much (a little) but I could hear. After that, he was placed on my chest and stayed there!! He never went to the nursery. We nursed (or tried to) right away in recovery.

A couple things stand out I wish I had thought of:
DH didn't get to cut the cord and he would have liked to.
I prefer nothing by IV unless I say OK. They gave me antinausea meds that actually make me vomit after my section, I shook and vomited and they put me on a liquid diet (which is the exact wrong thing to get me to stop vomiting -- I need little bits of food to make it stop) and I had a hard time with both milk production and bonding.
B... newly type II diabetic, wife to B 9/16/05, mama to B 1/23/07 H 9/27/08 (after three years of GI issues FINALLY getting a celiac diagnosis!) and our miracle baby C who joined us 9/6/2011, and is forever greatful to his "milk mamas" who pump for us! We do lots of crunchy things and some soggy things, too.
skolbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 AM   #40
magoose
Registered Users

This is a great thread! That youtube video was amazing!! I had a very traumatic experience with DS. I got stuck at 5cm dilated and the epidural wasn't working (tried twice). I kept feeling the urge to push and was retching and vomiting like crazy, I evenutally was begging for a c/s, anything to make this all stop. The only option was a c/s under general anesthetic. I was unconcious, intubated, DH couldn't come in....it was awful and bothered me for a long long time. I still feel a disconnect between the birth and my son. We decided to go for a repeat c/s because I have zero desire to every go through a trial of labour again. According to u/s, this kid is gonna have a big head like DS and I don't want to risk getting "stuck" again. I have some very clear ideas of what I'd like to happen, but I never really thought of making a "birth plan" because I figured everything would just go according to what the docs said. I'm a nurse, so I know the other side of things, but this is probably our last baby and I want to enjoy the experience as much as possible. I want DH to watch and take pics of as much as possible, I want DH to announce the gender and to cut the cord, if I can't stay with the baby, I want DH to never ever leave the baby's side and I want to breastfeed/skin-to-skin as soon as possible and for as long as possible. I'm so so hoping that this experience will give me better memories than with DS. I'm a bit worried that my section is scheduled a little bit too soon, but we had to go according to my OB's schedule.