Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
Jomoma
Registered Users
seller

Refusing Solids and in Daycare

This thread is for a friend of mine, but she needs all of the help she can get.

She has a 8 month old son who refuses to eat baby food, but isn't getting enough milk from her. She teaches full time, so he's stuck with whatever she can pump and now additional formula. He's been eating 4 or 5 ounce bottles every 2 hours. Any tips on getting him to eat solids?

Advertisement

Jomoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Refusing Solids and in Daycare

I don't have tips for solids, but the solution for us was to increase the amount of formula. Under a year, BM or formula is really where they should be getting most of their nutrition. Will he drink a bigger bottle to help satisfy him longer? My son was in ft daycare too, and dh and I are also both teachers. Daycare was uncomfortable "pushing" solids when ds was unwilling. So we just kept working with him at home and sent more formula in. I know that's not the help you asked for but it was our solution to the same problem so I thought I'd throw it out there. Hopefully someone else can help with the other.

Last edited by slimy72; 11-29-2011 at 08:23 AM.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
Bmomma2C
Registered Users

My Mood:

If he seems content with bottles at daycare, I don't see why he can't just have his solids when he is home, for the time being.
Bmomma2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

((hugs)) to your friend.

What kind of babyfood is she trying to feed the baby. At 8 months mine were eating a mix of cereal w/fruits and veggies. I made the cereals w/formula.

She could try making the food items thinner so the consistancy is more like the formula and then work on thickening it up.

Really at 8 months I would just do more formula and have her work on solids at home.

Both my kids are/were in FT daycare. solids were not a big part of thier diet until closer to a year. My Daycare wasn't a big pusher of solids until they were ready.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Not all babies will eat solids that early.

My child - to this day - (14months) - pretty much has to eat every 2 hours. When it was all milk, she drank 4-5oz 8x a day. Now, there's solids in there, but it wasn't until she was about 10-11months that she decided that solids were allowed to replace her breakfast milk. And it wasn't until 12 months that she agreed that solids were allowable for other meals.

so, I really wouldn't push it. Solids are not important - under 1 is just for fun. Even when my kiddo would taste solids 3x a day, she didn't reduce her milk needs until 11months or so.

In reality, I went from feeding her 8x a day to 11x a day (8 bottles, 3 solids).

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 11-29-2011 at 01:20 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Jomoma
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies! I think it was stressful for her because of the idea of breastfeeding your child and not introducing formula, but you've given good reminders that working and breastfeeding can be a bit tricky. Also I'm sure it will comfort her to know of others who wait a bit to eat solids. My kids all ate them readily between 4-6 months, so I was no help to her.
Jomoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As for pumping and teaching, give her a huge hug for me. I pumped FT until I went back to work (also a teacher). There was no way that I could fit it in. There just isn't enough kid free time in a day to pump all my son needed. Remind her she's doing great!
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote