View Poll Results: Did your DH/SO stay the night at the hospital?
Yes 160 71.75%
No 32 14.35%
Other 31 13.90%
Voters: 223. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #21
BESMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your DH/SO stay with you

No, but that was only because that was what I wanted. Quite honestly, I felt better he was watching over the other kids (as opposed to a friend/grandparent/babysitter) and I know both he and I would get better sleep if he went home.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

For DS he stayed both nights after DS was born.

With DD we went in at night for the induction so he stayed that night and the night after she was born.

This time around I think after the baby is born he can sleep at home. He always hates sleeping on the coach there.
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #23
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Yes, both times. 4 days the first time and 3 days the second time. The last time he went home each afternoon to be with DS1, eat dinner, put him to bed and stayed there part of the night then came back to the hospital to be with me and DS2.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #24
Psychomom
Formerly: Boomer
seller

My Mood:

Only for the first one. For the others, he had to get home to the kids at home. We didn't have the luxury of having someone else to take care of the kids overnight.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #25
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS1: yes
DD: no
DS2: yes

I don't remember why he didn't stay when I had DD, we were in the process of moving from an extended stay motel into our house and I think he went and tried to finish painting or something like that. He should have just went home after I had DS2- I think he forgot how uncomfortable the pullout bed was and didn't get any rest.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:45 PM   #26
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

My DH stayed at the hospital the entire time I was there. I was admitted before the babies were born and he was going to stay for the long haul! We don't have older children though.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #27
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope. I let him get good and rested since I have the nurses to help if I absolutely need it. This way, he can help me tag team it the next day and do everything I need him to do. My kids usually stay with grandma for the whole hospital stay and then brings them to visit as well as before discharge so we can all go home together.
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #28
carolineb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted other. With our first, he did stay overnight but we were having our whole house refloored (smart on us, huh? We were convinced baby was going to be a week late and it would be done before baby arrived). So, he did lots of running back and forth trying to get the house prepped by moving clothes and furniture around. So, he wasn't around as much during the day but he did spend the night.

With our 2nd, I went in at 10:50pm, baby was born at 11:30pm. The next morning he went home to get his parents and ODS and did a little back and forth driving them around since they are from out of town and don't know the area. He spent that night with me then we went home the next morning.

With the 3rd, DS was born at 3:30am and I was checking out by 3:30pm. He stayed with me until about 8am and went back to our neighbors to get our older boys to come visit me. He took them to lunch and my neighbor came and got them, and he helped me get checked out.

So, with all 3, I was alone for decent amounts of time, but I was okay with that. He was taking care of our house or our other kids. The room was tiny every time and you can't rest anyway.

I wanted a natural birth for my first and would have been okay with a birth center but DH really wanted the hospital for that rare chance of something happening. I tried to talk him into a birth center for the 2nd one, but our insurance wouldn't have covered as much and he didn't want to pay out of pocket for it, and still wanted the "safety" of the hospital. My 1st was about a 15hr labor, the 2nd was 6 hrs and he was born 40 min after checking in. My 3rd labor was 2.5 hrs total and he was born 30 min after check in. If we have a 4th, I just may get that home birth I've always wanted!
Old 11-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #29
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My only hospital birth - our first - yes. It was very traumatic and I'd probably have fallen over the edge if he left at all.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
Crow Mountain Crafts
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, both times. He wouldnt have gone home if they had tried to make him. He had to sleep on a plastic recliner, but we did have out own room so it wasnt awful.
He will stay this time too. My mom watches the other kiddos when I am in the hospital.
Crow Mountain Crafts is offline   Reply With Quote