Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Why lock threads?

Can I ask this without coming off as a "pot-stir'er"?

I would just like to know, what is the point of locking a thread? I can understand why certain posts get deleted if they are offensive, and I can understand why entire threads get deleted if they are ridiculous/drama/against TS etc... but how does locking a heated thread benifit anyone? In every single 1000 page drama thread I have ever seen on DS, it all gets hashed out and DIES on it's own eventually, and everyone gets to say what they want to say. When the thread gets locked prematurely it seems like everthing is left unresolved and lots of people are angry, that's when DS business gets taken to other boards.

I really wish that the policy here was that threads either get deleted if they are unapropriate, or they stay open forever, I can't think of any problems that that would cause.

Advertisement

#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 PM   #2
hapi2help
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Why lock threads?

Awesome question. Totally agree on the 'not being resolved' part.
hapi2help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

IMO... I don't like the whole locking thread system. Whether that be on this board or any other board I go too. I see no point in locking threads. it does not solve anything at all.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
Shay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapi2help View Post
Awesome question. Totally agree on the 'not being resolved' part.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:53 PM   #5
CrunchyClark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I haven't been here long, but do you think that it's because if they get deleted or removed, then people think admin is 'covering up' things?

I'm on several other non-diaper boards that has a 'lock' policy when threads get heated. It seems to work there. That way it's still 'in the open' and available, but no more discussion. The issue gets stopped and everyone moves on. Haven't been here long enough to see if that is how it works here or not!
Site ~ Bountiful Baskets Food Co-op ~ Etsy ~
CrunchyClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:54 PM   #6
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good question, especially in a thread where its not violating any rules.
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #7
shell015
Banned
seller

Yup yup yup. I was wondering the same thing. Oh and WB Ooooooeeeeeyyy I missed ya.
shell015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:57 PM   #8
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post
I haven't been here long, but do you think that it's because if they get deleted or removed, then people think admin is 'covering up' things?

I'm on several other non-diaper boards that has a 'lock' policy when threads get heated. It seems to work there. That way it's still 'in the open' and available, but no more discussion. The issue gets stopped and everyone moves on. Haven't been here long enough to see if that is how it works here or not!
I'm sure it can/does work. And, just throwing this out there I'm a member of a board that has a no edit/no delete policy and things get hashed out, and people get to say what they feel when they feel it and it gets worked out all of the time.

Just sayin.
OneFabMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #9
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyClark View Post

I can see how that would work well in a small community, but DS is huge and the online CD'ing community is huge, the issue does not stop and everyone just moves on, it just gets taken somwhere else and gets gossuped about, sometiems things even gets blown way out of proportion because of this.

There are a lot of people on here who have valuble info and viewpoints to contribute to certain issues, but they might not see the thread until it has already been locked. It just seems wrong that only the people that happen to be online and see the thread before it gets locked get to contribute to the disscusion.
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #10
Samantha
Goodness gracious he's hot!
seller

My Mood:

We took the situation into mediation. We are hoping for a resolution there.
Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote