Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Senia's birth story

Since we're almost kicked out of here I figure I'd better get it up quick! I STILL don't have the regular version done, but here's a quick version I typed up.

Sunday the 14th of Aug I went to bed feeling a bit off. I didn't know why but I had a feeling something might happen without anything physical to back it up besides a bit of nausea. Normally my contractions during the night were more intense with needing to urinate, but every time I got up that night I had thoughts of "are they going to continue to be painful in the morning? Will this be it?".

I got up the morning of Monday the 15th and pretty quickly knew something was happening. I had bloody show and the first contraction I had was slightly painful and intense. I was also a bit crampy overall. I had been feeling bad that Luke hadn't gone to work that morning (he'd stayed home because he stays 3 hours away and I was almost a week overdue) but I was suddenly glad he did. I called my mom and told her something was happening. My contractions were 10-20 minutes apart. I started cleaning the house and finishing the rest of the baby stuff, bouncing on the exercise ball in between. We waited all day for them to pick up but they stayed pretty regular and didn't get any more intense. My mom was calling every 1/2 hour and I finally told her I WOULD let her know.

In the afternoon Luke's dad picked up the girls in case I did go into labor. Luke and I took a walk hoping to kick-start it. I had had more contractions just cleaning the house than I did from walking. My dad stopped by to get the dog. By later in the evening I started to hope that I wouldn't go into full-blown labor until the next morning so I could at least get some sleep.

I woke up the 16th at midnight and went to the bathroom. I had thoughts in my head of painful contractions but I wasn't sure if I had just dreamed about them. While downstairs I had another contraction and knew I was going into labor. I decided to go back to bed for awhile to get some rest and time them. After 1/2 hour I'd learned two things: they were still 15 min apart and there was NO way I was lying down any longer. The 2 I'd had while in bed left me clenching the sheets in pain. I let Luke know I was going downstairs to shower. I showered, got most of the hospital bags ready and napped on the couch for an hour timing contractions. At 2 I woke Luke up and he started getting ready.

A little after 4 I decided I wanted to leave soon and we made the long drive to the hospital, stopping when I felt sick. We got there a bit after 5 and checked in. A nurse wasn't on duty in OB so someone filled in until she got there. I was checked at 6am and was at 5-6cm. I was SO relieved that I wasn't just at a 2 or something after all the work I'd already done. At 7 my doctor got there and I was at a 7. I labored for a few hours, my contractions pretty painful and sometimes double peaking but still infrequent. Every few contractions I would throw up and have a few contractions on top of each other. At 10am I asked to be checked again, and I was still at 7cm. Well, THAT sucked. My doctor came in and told me if I wanted we could break my water to speed up the contractions and get things moving again. I thought about it for awhile and after a small nap decided to get my water broken artificially at 10:45. I was exhausted and didn't know how many more hours I could handle it. I had a ton of fluid for being 41w and it was colored from meconium.

The next hour was ROUGH. My contractions definitely sped up and were intensely painful. I even had a couple that I couldn't breathe through in my semi-meditative state that I'd used throughout the rest of labor. Bathroom trips were terrible- I'd have non-stop contractions that would make it really hard to get back out of the bathroom. At 11:45 I was feeling a lot of strong pressure and my doctor said I just had a tiny lip left. I started to push 10 minutes later after a mini breakdown where I was crying and saying "I don't want to do this". My doctor just said “oh, you don’t, huh?” and I was so mad at her for not feeling sorry for me!

I pushed and pushed. Right from the beginning they told me they didn't think it would take long and that I was making great progress but I felt like it was taking forever. I was later told she was trying to turn sideways the whole time she was coming out. Finally she was crowning, and then her head was out. She had the cord wrapped around her neck, so my doctor unwrapped it and then I pushed the rest of her body out. She was placed on my chest and I was in awe of my new baby girl. I immediately knew she was not nearly as big as we'd all thought she would be. The baby nurse kept working at getting her to cry because she was pretty blue, but she was content to just lay on me. I knew if something was really wrong that they would take her.

After a few minutes the cord was no longer pulsating so it was clamped and cut. I tried to nurse but she didn't want to yet so I just held her close to me and delived the placenta soon after. It was around then that my camera decided to break so I sent Luke to Walmart in a panic. It was actually a great time for it to break- after all the labor and birth pictures, and before the "first nursing", "first diaper" and other first pictures.

While Luke was gone I was stiched up while holding Senia, and my mom was feeding me. I was absolutely STARVING. He came back with the new camera and started taking pictures. The nurse took Senia over to the warmer to get her weight and footprints. Then she came back to me and finally latched on to nurse. She fell asleep nursing but didn't want to let go so it was about an hour before we were finally moved to our room.

Yesenia Scarlette
Aug 16, 2011, 12:16pm
7lb 14oz, 20.75 in

Oh my gosh, she was so small!

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
mommacass26
Registered Users

Re: Senia's birth story

Look at all of her Blonde Hair. My oldest had such blonde hair they thought he was bald intil they got him Dry. I love birth stories.
mommacass26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #3
smblake
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Crystal, I'm so glad you shared your story with us - so lovely and Seni is SO adorable!!! You are such a lovely woman as well, your dh is a lucky guy to have all those great ladies in his life
5 angels in my heart always
smblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awwww....she is adorable. I love her hair!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! Melissa, you're so sweet!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:15 PM   #6
Lifeisjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: Chatt-townmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow...glad to hear your story. I have to say the 2nd pic of you, you look gorg! Your skin is so beautiful right after birth! What cute girls too...
Mama to Malachi(12/31/08) and Micah(8/13/11) and with #3!
Lifeisjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #7
sugar_crystalz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Aw, thank you!