Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

repurposing baby clothes to Am. Girl doll clothes tutorials-pix heavy

I got DD-8 an AG for xmas and the clothes are out of this world $$$. I found some baby clothes (sized newborn to 6m, the red dress was an 18mo shirt) at the Goodwill and knew I could make them work....better yet, I got ones that were 1/2 off so about 99cents a piece! I love to sew but hate sewing doll clothes. All of the little tiny pieces drive me crazy! This was super easy! A few pins, a few seams, some elastic...done! I will have to fix her hair when I put her back in her box!

First is a cute pair of pants with a cute ruffle on the bottom. Put them on the doll inside out and mark one leg with pins. Also mark a little above where the waistband will be for your cutting marks.

Cut the one leg. I used a straight edge to mark my line. I cut just at the bottom of the waistband that was there. Place the cut leg piece over the other side and cut it, too. Pin the seams and sew. You can serge if you want or zig zag or do nothing. (I serged but didn't take picts of the sewing or serging) I used 1/4 inch seam.

Turn the waist band over to the width of your elastic plus about 1/4 more inches and sew. You can serge the top of the waist band before turning but you don't need to. Put in your elastic like you normally would and sew the ends of the elastic together and sew the opening shut (I didn't take pictures of all of these steps because they are pretty basic sewing steps). Here are the finished pants.

I did the same steps with a pair of shorts.

Here is a little dress or nightgown. Put it on inside out and pin to fit. The pins will be your sewing line. I sewed them first then serged off the edges. You can cut it first and then sew if you want.

Here is the dress all done. It is already the right length! No hemming, no lining, no facing, no sewing buttons! Just 2 little seams!

Here is another one I did in the same fashion. I like this one because it has bees on it and DD's last name has Bee in it.

Here is a red bandana dress. I marked the seams the way I did above. This shows the seam sewn.

Now it fits AG doll. Again, just the right length! 2 seams...done!

Another pair of pants. These had 2 cute little pockets on the front that would have been cut in half. I seam ripped them off and will sew one on the front of a little shirt when I find one. Mark one side of the pants and cut. Place the cut side on the other leg for marking. Cut off right under the waistband (or where needed...remember to leave enough to be able to turn.

Sew both of the leg seams and serge if desired. turn down the waistband and sew, leaving an opening for elastic. Insert elastic, sew elastic shut, and sew opening shut! Tadaaaa... cute pants.

This little dress was trickier because it has a slip attached. Do it in pieces...don't be afraid, it's for a doll!

I actually turned the slip pieces right sides together and the dress pieces right sides together and sewed, very carefully, right up to the waist for each side. Then the little bit of bodice by the armholes. It turned out cute!

Now I have to find a few shirts to match the pants and DD's AG doll will have some clothes for about $7.00!

Advertisement

Last edited by misidawnrn; 11-29-2011 at 06:28 PM.
misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
TheGreenBee
Registered Users

My Mood:
One word......

BRILLIANT

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Mommieof2
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: repurposing baby clothes to Am. Girl doll clothes tutorials-pix heavy

Great Job Mama
Mommieof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #4
amehrkens
Registered Users
seller

Wow! Those are awesome!!!! Way to go! I might have to copy you. I have never made doll clothes but I can only imagine how putsy it is. I often can pick up premie clothes at my walmart for $1 or $3 so I mgiht have to give this a try!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fluff...26110884116529
amehrkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
WoodSprite
Registered Users
Formerly: TangerineFlamingo
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh awesome! We have 3 AG dolls in our house and clothing is sparse due to the cost.. this is gonna be really helpful
WoodSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #6
BlackRose
Registered Users
seller

Great job. This is how I learned to sew. My mom would never by barbie or doll clothes for me when I was little so I made them myself.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
lolson3
Registered Users
seller
seller

amazing! I was wondering the other day if nb clothes would be similar in size. Thanks for sharing.
lolson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:18 AM   #8
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

Fun stuff... your DD is going to enjoy those so much!
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
3boys_mom
Registered Users

Great job! Love it...going to have to borrow the idea. I made ODD a doll last year for Christmas. The poor thing only has one nightgown as I really didn't like sewing the smaller things. But this idea.....BRILLIANT! Most of the work is already done.