Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Registered Users
Re: Balancing Being Green and Being Minimalist

Originally Posted by burgler View Post
This is all so helpful!!!! I agree with the 'getting things that last' principle (as opposed to one in and one out). The thoughts about crafting are also really helpful -- not just thinking about the process, but also about the product. Thanks!!!

I guess where I still struggle -- if anyone has tips -- is that DH loves to keep around lots of old stuff that others would throw away, because he will often dip into those bins for something to fix something, rather than having to go out and buy a new part. Does that make sense? So, just when I want to purge all the cardboard boxes we have, then he needs them for some project that would reduce the need to buy something new. But, in the meantime, we have lots of (what I see as) clutter sitting around.
My husband likes to keep old computer parts and printer motors and things like that, he enjoys electronics as a hobby and he and the boys are 'planning' to build a robot. He's often tinkering with the bits and pieces and my boys like to pull it all out and build their own things. However, he now stores all that in the garage, in a few boxes. Our car does not fit in our badly designed garage, so dh has fitted it out with shelves, cupboards and a work bench and these things go in there, along with all his tools. The garage is HIS area and he keeps the stuff well organised, because he's as anal as I am

So, is there some place your dh can keep his things without them being in an obvious part of the house, where they feel like clutter? Dh originally had the boxes in our bedroom wardrobe and I hated it.

Mum to 3 boys, Hunter '05, Rowan '08 and Lightning, stillborn 2011

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #12
Registered Users

I can see where the canning supplies would be really irritating, because they DO take up a lot of space. I use the same space to store canning jars as I do to store the canned goods, figuring that one jar = one jar, empty or full, and just rearrange the shelves as needed. But canning jars last forever, and you can recycle them if you ever change your mind about it. I think even if I went totally minimalist, I would keep my canning stuff. Now, in terms of canners, I'd keep just my pressure canner. It uses less water, takes less time (energy), and holds more jars than my water bath canner.
Amy ~ Everything in moderation, WOH, glass half full, not committed to any labels, try, try again mama to 3! H 11/07 and M 8/10 and B 8/12
badmisterkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

So, regarding the canning supplies - I built a shelf in my shed outside to store the canning supplies!!!!!! This really helps because I just put my huge canning pots and equipment and more than 6 dozen empty jars outside! That freed up a lot of room. Now I have more room to organize the jars that are still full in the house.

If your wondering.....yes I do need that many jars. I think I have about 11-12 dozen total. Maybe more< and I still want to buy MORE....... but I have a huge garden and I can a lot. Last summer I canned 16 jars of enchilada sauce, and 16 jars of marinara, plus countless diced get the idea. I'm working towards being totally self-sufficient on my own tomato products.
Proud mama -July '08 and April '10 my and EDD 3/31/14
OurAllenBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #14
Registered Users

Originally Posted by hezdwoody View Post
haha thanks! Now if only finding things made to last was an easy task!
...or at least at an affordable price!!

Also, never buy anything that only serves one purpose! Like a waffle maker!
Emily, wife to Jon and mama to Joshua (11/05), Gianna (5/10), and Isaiah!
Baby 4 coming in May!
jemilyon is offline   Reply With Quote