Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
leesburgfam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
craft and art supplies?

We homeschool and my girls love to do arts and crafts, draw, color, etc....
Therefore, I tend to keep string, scrap paper, glue, glitter, pip cleaners, crayons, etc., etc....everywhere! I feel over ran by this stuff, but yet, I do not know what to do with it. I was thinking of some sort of "craft center"??? Any ideas? I want them to be able to access it easily (well, at least the paper and crayons)...but I don't know how to do it neatly. Right now when you look at our homeschool room which is also our dining room, it just screams out STRESS!!!

Advertisement

leesburgfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: craft and art supplies?

I have this same thing right now, every room has craft items of some sort...I want to get it all in one easily accessible, yet tidy, place! I have one of those plastic drawer things for a lot of our project items, but its the only plastic "furniture" left in my whole house and I'd love to be shot of it...
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a little cubby stand that blends in with our furniture. It's in the diningroom. It's smaller than this, and with nicer beige cubbies and no wheels. It has 4 small cubbies, and I have 2 side by side.

Since it doubles as furniture and storage, and everything is organized and hidden away, it does reduce stress/clutter elsewhere.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
We have a little cubby stand that blends in with our furniture. It's in the diningroom. It's smaller than this, and with nicer beige cubbies and no wheels. It has 4 small cubbies, and I have 2 side by side.

Since it doubles as furniture and storage, and everything is organized and hidden away, it does reduce stress/clutter elsewhere.
I have something similar.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm constantly battling this kind of thing myself. I love to upcycle, esp for kids art, but it requires hanging on to the darn stuff, on top of the new materials like pipe cleaners... and the learning activities, and the books... I'm sure there's a minimalist way to homeschool but I haven't figured it out yet

That said our school room is our dining room too. We just have a bookcase system with random baskets/bins/shoe boxes... it looks so cluttered a drives my crazy, so I guess I'm no help
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Sabriel
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was using a bookshelf with random bins and containers that I had around. It made me crazy too, so I bought all matching storage bins. Everything we need is still there, but it looks nice and neat. I put the things I don't mind the girls getting into (paper, stickers, crayons, colored pencils, etc.) in the same bins on the bottom shelves. Our homeschool stuff is on our enclosed back porch though, so it's not constantly in sight.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I have considered building one of these for my daughter: http://ana-white.com/2011/09/flip-down-wall-art-desk-0 If you have a lot of supplies just put some in there and let them be creative with what is in there. Then when they run low on something replenish it from your stash or replace it with something different you have in your stash. When they have worked through the stash allow them to pick out craft supplies that they want most from the store as long as they fit in the designated storage space.

I think the desk is cute but you don't have to have it just a designated area or box of "IN USE" craft supplies. Then they get really creative with what they can use then and look forward to switching it up later!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a shoe holder that I had haning on the back side of the DR room up untill recently (we moved to a BR), when it was full that was it, time to use some of it up or let some of it go. Also, its great to be able to seee everything at once....unlike MY craft supplies
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:

This was our overall supply area when we were doing homeschooling...baskets on top of the far left shelf held bottles of paint, books on next shelf down, coloring books in basket on next shelf down, clay & play dough in basket on bottom shelf. Each of the kids had a drawer in the pink boxes for the day's papers, other drawers in the pink boxes were used to hold small math manipulatives like unit cubes, coins, that sort of thing. Tan/brown boxes held art supplies, loosely sorted by type...paper, random stuff like pipe cleaners & pompoms & foam shapes & popsicle sticks, glue & scissors, crayons & markers. Little baskets on white shelf held paintbrushes, pencils, and colored pencils. Overflow supplies went into the cabinet in (obviously not as many as on the listing, you can get them individually for about $1.25 each)

Now that we're not homeschooling, I've purged out the supply area quite a bit...its pretty much in the same boxes & baskets, just we only use the shelf on the far left and the cabinet/cart.

Last edited by smashncakes; 12-01-2011 at 12:10 PM.
smashncakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #10
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have a tall (4.5-5ft) skinny plastic drawer organizer. It fits in my closet easily as it has a small footprint. Since most of the drawers are slim, it's been great for organizing different crafts and some deep drawers for all the piles of paper we have.

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote