Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: ATTS: November 30, 2011

You can officially move me to waiting to O...

Advertisement

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #22
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacifer View Post
no, I don't. I haven't yet been able to wrap my mind around washing out blood and feeling that they'd get sanitary enough.

I don't ever rinse mine, just stick them in the wet bag until I have to dump them in the wash. I always add a little bit of bleach to make sure everything is super clean (just a drop or two). Personally, I think it far out weighs the chemicals found in disposable pads, ya know? I used to keel over in pain with menstrual cramps- had to call in from work. I would take medicine around the clock when I used disposable products. Now when I have my period (2 years ago lol) I hardly had any cramping and my period was so short and manageable!

ETA: It's not too much different than washing dirty cloth diapers!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 PM   #23
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Christy Sorry

Heather - do they wash out easily? I have the same feeling where I've been a little grossed out by them because it seems like blood wouldn't wash out as well as poop. Don't they get stained and yucky? Do you wash them the same way you do diapers? With diapers? I might be convinced to try it sometime...I did look at some trainers for DD at our local CD store the other day and thought "that looks so soft and cozy...i would just love to wear that!"
Old 11-30-2011, 07:22 PM   #24
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thank Eileen. I LOVE my momma cloth! Because it is just blood and not fecal matter that DOES contain bacteria (blood is by far *cleaner*) I wash mine with my dark towels in hot water and dry on high heat. I have used them since my 3rd child was born and have never had a problem. I however have not seen a decrease in my flow rate or the length of my bleeding time, but I am definitely not as crampy as I used to be.

It is funny how differently we view menstrual blood, but wouldn't think twice about blood from any other area of our body. Once you can wrap your brain around the fact that it is JUST blood, I think momma cloth would make just as much sense if not more, as cloth diapers. And they are FAR easier to care for than cloth diapers!!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok I'm totally sitting in on the mama cloth discussion here! Been wondering some of the same things that have been asked. Was gonna try some but had no idea what kind was best or what style to get for the different flow days?????? So clueless yet very interested!
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Christy Sorry

Heather - do they wash out easily? I have the same feeling where I've been a little grossed out by them because it seems like blood wouldn't wash out as well as poop. Don't they get stained and yucky? Do you wash them the same way you do diapers? With diapers? I might be convinced to try it sometime...I did look at some trainers for DD at our local CD store the other day and thought "that looks so soft and cozy...i would just love to wear that!"
I have a 50+ stash (don't judge lol jk some people have a diaper addiction, this is my addiction). To me, they're easier to care for than diapers and I feel like they wash up better than cloth diapers. You can wash them with cloth diapers, but you know the "wipe front to back" rule? I'm funny about having my cloth pads washed with cloth diapers, I know people who DO that though and it works fine for them.

My personal favorites are Homestead Emporium and Pampered Mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christylkeller View Post
Thank Eileen. I LOVE my momma cloth! Because it is just blood and not fecal matter that DOES contain bacteria (blood is by far *cleaner*) I wash mine with my dark towels in hot water and dry on high heat. I have used them since my 3rd child was born and have never had a problem. I however have not seen a decrease in my flow rate or the length of my bleeding time, but I am definitely not as crampy as I used to be.

It is funny how differently we view menstrual blood, but wouldn't think twice about blood from any other area of our body. Once you can wrap your brain around the fact that it is JUST blood, I think momma cloth would make just as much sense if not more, as cloth diapers. And they are FAR easier to care for than cloth diapers!!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM   #27
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjess View Post
Ok I'm totally sitting in on the mama cloth discussion here! Been wondering some of the same things that have been asked. Was gonna try some but had no idea what kind was best or what style to get for the different flow days?????? So clueless yet very interested!
I linked to some of my favorites up above. Everyone is shaped differently, however, I would recommend a 9" for the day time, and a longer size for at night for extra protection. However, my friend who is so tiny and skinny used a 9" for night time b/c that's big to her. So, everyone is different

Old 11-30-2011, 08:06 PM   #28
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will chime in on the mama cloth bit, too... Heck, add me to the group, I had probably peed on 50+ HPTs in the last 2 weeks... Anyway, DH said NO WAY to mama cloth, period. I told him to take some duct tape to his pubes and then tell me "no". So anyway, I use a diva cup with cloth as backup, and for pads I use what I made out of Gerber brand prefolds. Cheap, easy, and awesome. Oh, and I wash them with my regular undies, no special treatment. The only time my diva cup ever failed me, so to speak, was my ppaf when DS2 was 23 months old, and the Hoover Dam wouldn't have stopped that leaking (<<<< TMI alert). But really, it is just blood, no biggie. I also wash all of our undies and socks in one load, because I hate folding underwear and matching socks, so I reduce it to one load to trick myself into thinking it is easier. We wash on cold, because I am too cheap to use hot water (we have been out of the diaper phase for almost a year) and we use our own homemade laundry soap.

ETA: somewhere here on DS is a tutorial that I did on making mama cloth out of prefolds. I think it is in the craft section, if you can't find it lemme know and I will hunt it down.

Last edited by Green Decals; 11-30-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #29
boekesec
Registered Users
Formerly E***n
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Decals View Post
I told him to take some duct tape to his pubes and then tell me "no".
LOL
Old 11-30-2011, 08:51 PM   #30
justjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Myall4him2- thanks for the links!

About that diva cup.....I wanted one and saw it at rei but dh said that if I was to purchase something like that then I would need to do it when he wasn't standing around with me!lol
Jessica wife to my sexy soldier SAHM to THE BOSS(9) THE SCIENTIST(8) THE CLOWN(5) THE CRAZY(3) and MISSY MOO(1) and #6 arriving summer 2013!!!
find me on FBmy ISO/IHA
justjess is offline   Reply With Quote