Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #1
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question to start foods or to not start foods...hmmmm

Ok, well, Andrew will be 4 1/2 mths old this weekend.... I started the other 3 on foods at 4mths, BUT I am wanting to wait as long as possible this time. (& I kind of get a kick out of how big he's getting on BM alone.)

He only nurses about 3-4 hrs during the day and sleeps 6-8 hours at night... (until this week- he has been waking at around 5-6hrs for a snack, but I wonder if its more for attention.)

He is still gaining wieght, etc.....

He is pysically ready though- he's lost the reflex where they push everyhting out of thier mouth, he can sit up, he stares at me when I eat and chews on his fingers viciously...lol.

I also know its one of those things that once you start, you cant go back, and its expensive. Right now, b/t CD and BM, and hand-me-down clothing from his brothers, its really not costing us much.

He was 6lbs 11oz at birth and now he's about 13 1/2lbs today.

Soooooooooo, I need some encouragment to keep from giving in.... how long did YOU wait b/f starting ANYTHING other than breastmilk? (looking for others who waited awhile)

Advertisement

christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Re: to start foods or to not start foods...hmmmm

Oh my gosh, you should look at my thread "I know this has been covered before" because I have the same feelings!

My dd is 7 months, and I love that she is growing on just my milk! It's a wonderful feeling. But it's hard to break away from the feeling that baby food starts at 4-6 months, I know!

I actually didn't try baby food until 6 months (because really, their little tummies have trouble digesting food before then). She didn't care for it, I tried a couple more times, she still didnt' care for it. I went back to breastmilk and she's still growing and thriving at 7 months with no supplements!

You can do it mama!
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

I waited to give solids until 6 months(I formula feed though), Mil kept feeding her when I wasn't around and majorly pissing me off. She wasn't ready yet. I started with just a bit of cereal once a day until she got used to eating.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:01 PM   #4
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My advice would be to wait as long as you can with solids!

I wanted to wait until about 12 monthes to start solids due to my own allergies & research showing allergies are more likely to start with food introduced earlier/too early...

but even when (stinker-butt) friends & family tried to sneak foods, he wouldn't take them... I have since heard that a babies body can be able to detect foods that won't agree with their little tummies/bodies, thus they will refuse it!

to make a short story long... he didn't eat more a bite of solids til 15-18 mos & still now eats minimal solids! & is STILL growing big & strong!!

edited to add: my ds has always nursed quickly, only minutes at a time & infrequently, usually only every 4 hours by his choice! & only wakes on average once a night, but has always gained & been healthy!! It really is amazing what breast milk can do/does!!

Last edited by mommy2zander; 06-01-2006 at 11:04 PM.
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
boingo82
Registered Users

My DS did not eat solids until 8-9 months, because he wasn't interested AT ALL. (We originally tried them at 6 months but he wouldn't have it.)

Here is some incentive for you....
Right now, you're changing bm-only diapers...you have older kids, you know that you've got to appreciate the non-solid poops while they last!
Also, it seems like as soon as you start solids, the sweet baby breath starts to disappear.
boingo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
upstategirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't start Bruce until he was 6 months. My ped said at four months their stomachs are not really ready for soilds yet. When I did start him on soilds I made it. A lot cheaper and I knew what was in it. Good luck!
upstategirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #7
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

i didn't even try until 6 months but she didn't want anything to do with it really until 8-9 months. she had all the usual readiness signs except for interest in our food. i tried to take a very laid-back approach and probably the next time the only thing i would do differently is to try to not stress about it like i did some with dd.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks gals! I was getting ready to go buy some but made myself come check my thread 1st....
Old 06-06-2006, 10:20 AM   #9
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: to start foods or to not start foods.UPDATE at bottom

update

Ok, well, since I 1st wrote this, Andrew has gotten MUCH more interested in food- I cant even eat in front of him, regardless of what it is w/o him crying & reaching for it...I have tried nursing him when he does that and he just wont have anyhting to do with it...(& he has finally doubled his birth weight) so, alas, last night, I gave him about a tsp of of rice cereal just b/f bedtime, he devoured it & seemed so proud of himself....he then slept 8 1/2 hrs straight & I woke up in a puddle of milk...

And then it happened... I caught myself thinking hmm, I wonder how he'd like ____ or _____?....uh oh.... didnt help when I went to the grocery store & found gerber baby food on sale for 22c each and I have coupons for it too...think I am going to have to go back with my coupons later today..

He is almost 20 weeks. I guess i did do better than with my other boys & I am going to restrain giving him much more than just a tad of cerea at bedtimel... the final temptation was that his IRON level had dropped alittle and WIC said that was another sign that he was ready for cereal....but I am also going to add some more IRON to my supplement too b/c I went to the doc today & they said my red blood cells are really tiny-which could be a sign of low IRON...I really dont want to start the whole baby food thing yet....too much work...

Last edited by christinewith4; 06-06-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #10
ChurchPunkMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've never started solids before 6mo.. I don't see the point. I also don't really use baby food either. With Torrin, he didn't start eating food regularly until about 8 or 9 mo and he had NO interest in baby food. He'd eat cheerios, apple suace, crackers, and anything we were eating that didn't require a lot of chewing. He did great - never had any problems and none of my kids have any allergies. As long as you're nursing, food is really "just for fun" and to help them get used to it. They don't need it for nutrition until they're over a year old.
ChurchPunkMom is offline   Reply With Quote