Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #1
mamaveve
Registered Users
seller

favorite travel diaper system? gdipe, grovia, flip or other?

we're going to thailand, dd will be 18 months. we ec but she's not that into the potty lately, i tend to only get post nap pees since she started walking.

we love our gmd pfs. we use a thristies cover when out and wool at night. she tends to sleep through the night dry.

i am uncertain of the diaper situation in thailand. i think most people use sposies. i would like to do cloth but it seems like with the humidity my best option is to do flats and wash them by hand...every night and hang to dry overnight. that doesn't sound much like the vacation i want.

as opposed as i am to sposies i know they have their place and am wondering what people like and why for travelling for a few weeks...i need breathable b/c it will be hot and i like the idea of the biodegradable inserts. she's a trim 17# at 15 months currently and wears brown edge gmd. i just don't know where to begin, there are so many options out there. tia!

Advertisement

mamaveve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
cloth4allofus
Banned

Re: favorite travel diaper system? gdipe, grovia, flip or other?

I would probably just get seventh generation diapers for a trip that long if it were me.
cloth4allofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
FrannieM
Registered Users

following the conversation as we plan to travel a lot with our new babe One thing to consider is the fact that tourism brings a ton of trash to developing countries! I would feel good if somehow I could be a good traveller that way... at the same time I would worry about my time on vacation too.

What about coin operated laundry? I have been to Bangkok and it is definitely available.
FrannieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
averysydneymommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always travel with Flip and Econobum covers and biodegradable/flushable Gdiaper inserts. If I need to wash a cover in a sink, its no big deal. I get about 3 uses from each cover. The inserts work overnight for me too as I don't have a super heavy wetter. I think this combo is super easy to use!
Wife, Educator, Christian, frugalista, and trying to be more GREEN mama to DD1 (6/07) and DD2 (4/10)and TT#3!
averysydneymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
MomBecks
Registered Users

If you're staying at a hotel they probably have laundry facilities that you could wash your flats in. But if you'd like the hybrid route, I really like gdiaper inserts in Flips, Thirsties Duos, or Weehuggers. Sounds like an awesome trip! Have a good time!
Old 12-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
From my recent weeklong trip in Grovia sposie inserts in my regular cover, and flats at night and in evenings, and part time ECing...

Grovia sposie inserts ONLY WORK IN GROVIA COVERS. Grrrr. I mean, you can put them in, but they will leak, bunch up, not fit snug enough, etc. Maybe the gdiaper or flip ones are better in other covers. But I'd test it first.

Flats are awesome to have on hand and use sometimes. Like for rash or ECing or at night. If you don't use them full time there is less laundry. I ended up using them a ton.

Full time in sposies might be bad for her body awareness and relationship with the potty. I would go at least part time in flats or diaperless if ECing is still important to you. JMO

Good luck and have fun, what an adventure!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
annagirl900
Registered Users

My Mood:

GroVia disposable inserts are definitely my top choice when I travel internationally (either that or flats and I just handwash if laundry isn't available). For overnight with heavy wetters, you can actually use a GroVia disposable with a flip disposable insert laid on top for maximum absorbency! I've never had a leak or blow-out with GroVia's disposable inserts, thanks to the gussets. Can't say the same about disposables.....

Old vs. BumGenius Elemental Comparison
annagirl900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
MommyJen_11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Grovia when travelling. We love the Biosoaker option for travel! Very absorbent! We have also used the shells over some biodegradable sposies we had to keep things clean. Sposies always seem to leak poo so the covers were a savior! The one time I didn't put a cover on we had an explosion in the carseat. Learned my lesson!
MommyJen_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
lil_filly
Registered Users
seller

I use gDiapers bio inserts for travel. Have never had a leaking issue (as long as I put the plastic insert on DD correctly ) I can usually keep the same cover for 24h then change only because I feel guilty puttng the same cover on her for another day . The bio's hold an amazing amount of liquid! You can double up bio inserts or double a bio and hemp insert if need be. I have never needed to double bio though. They keep moisture away nicely...At 2 months DD can sleep through the night only in bio inserts (wish I could afford bio's for day-to-day use).
lil_filly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 AM   #10
mamaveve
Registered Users
seller

thanks for the input mommas!
i'd love to cd while travelling (we've done it while travelling in the us) but now the more i think about it the more it stresses me out. i don't speak thai. i don't want to spend every day searching for a laundromat or washing by hand if it ends up being a pain...plus i'd have to fold flats which doesn't seem plausible for train/plane travel on the lap.
do you really think a few weeks out of cloth will mess up her body awareness? she signs and makes the sound while she pees on the floor or in her diaper. but doesn't really seem to think it's important to tell me beforehand. but she doesn't outright refuse to sit on the potty anymore which is an improvement.
i've heard gdiapers leak easily...
i love the option of biodegradable. i'm leaning towards grovia but i just found out about these: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20 60% biodegradable and pull on style which seems very travel friendly. any input there?

so i guess my new fear is rashes. it will be hot and humid. how often do people change these diapers? we change her prefold immediately but it's obvious when it's wet. i have no idea if i'll be able to tell if she's wet or not with these diapers...
mamaveve is offline   Reply With Quote