Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:
Getting poked in the rib.... so painful! Any ideas?

This has been the most painful part of pregnancy for me both times.... somehow I feel like I have a constant bruise that is there all day every day. Has anyone found relief from anything for this? I just had BW done for liver function, so though I have had HELLP previously, I think it is just the baby and position. I figure it is a grin and bear it kind of thing, but if someone has suggestions, I would welcome them!

Advertisement

Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
SeaChellsRun
Registered Users
Formerly: ChellySnow
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Getting poked in the rib.... so painful! Any ideas?

I walked around with my base of my thumb on DD's foot all day long while she was awake to keep it out of my ribs. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say

DD1 1/09 *** DD2 4/12
SeaChellsRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaChellsRun View Post
I walked around with my base of my thumb on DD's foot all day long while she was awake to keep it out of my ribs. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say
Yeah, I am constantly pushing on my right side to try to shift him. It is always the right rib for whatever reason.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Squig'sMumMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

I push her away, tell her it hurts, and she generally moves... She's good like that so far LOL I know I'm a month behind you, but I have adhesions that cause deep bruise-like pain when touched (by me, baby or a random object, or the cat, which actually caused stars and tears last time), so I know what you are talking about.
DD used to shove her head (or butt) into my ribs all day and I would just walk around with my hand pressing her away :P Another option I used is to get on my hands and knees and let the belly hang (adding a little sway once in a while), sometimes it is enough to get just a bit of rotation to relieve the pressure on the spot bothering me.

I have also threatened to stand on my head if the offender doesn't stop with the ribs

If there are any typos or grammatical errors I was probably NAK, apologies in advance!
Squig'sMumMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
BabyJ1122
Registered Users
seller

I had this as well. The two to three inches below my boobs, the skin was so sore to the touch it almost felt like really bad sunburn. I would push him down with my hands and constantly be trying to stretch my belly out by bending backwards. Sadly the only thing that helped relieve the pain was stopping work. Do you sit alot at work? I was doing a 2 hr each way commute plus 8-12 hour days and as soon as I stopped that (about 3 weeks ago) the pain almost completely disappeared. I think the lack of sitting in the same position plus being able to move/lay down whenever I felt like had to help.

I was so frustrated with no one understanding how I felt and my doctors "yea that's normal" shoulder shrug reaction, I could've screamed. After lots of online research the only thing I could come up with was that it was my uterus rubbing against my ribs. But personally it just felt like my skin was refusing to be stretched any further and the baby was way too high up in my ribs.

I'm 10 days late, and haven't really dropped at all. (though I'm short-5'2"- and have a short torso so I heard I might not "drop" at all). The pain has drastically subsided though. Good luck, I feel your pain!!
BabyJ1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I sit a fair amount I guess but I am a SAHM so it isn't always in the same position. Being able to lie down whenever would be nice, but it doesn't seem to work that way in our home.

Threatening to stand on my head That would be pretty funny! At least it would amuse DD!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #7
wyoming butterfly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I hope you figure it out. With DD she would rub the bottom of her foot on my ribs. To the point where you could see her toes. It felt like I had bruised ribs from the inside out.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
GrazieGirl
Registered Users
seller

I stand up and bounce up and down a little, I'm sure I look like a crazy woman. I have a longer torso so it gets him to drop down some. Sorry for your pain mama!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #9
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I'm also due in January and yep, feel her in my ribs ALL the time lately. DH laughs, but he remembers me complaining about it with DS, too, so he doesn't laugh too much.

I find that if I lay down for 2 minutes, she'll shift and I do better. Days like today I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen, though...
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh no! I know that can be uncomfortable! What you do is...stand on your head and then stick your toe in your nose. Hold that position for 5 minutes then sit up right.

Ok, totally just kidding Try laying in a different position for a little while, then roll to the other side. Maybe by switching back and forth the baby will change positions also. If not, be encouraged that a kicking baby is a healthy baby!

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote