Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
FairyBeautifulMama
Registered Users
Formerly: j***imm
seller

My Mood:
Stop trying to make him talk....

I want o scream that like 3 times a day at least.

DS2 is delayed in speech. He has maybe a handful of words that he uses at home and most of those he has only said once and then never again. When we are out getting him to talk is even harder. Most people never hear anything out of him. Grandma and Grandpa are just now getting to hear him make sounds. He has ST and they are working on a diagnosis for him but want to wait until he is 2 before they really say.

When we were at Target last night an older lady came up to all the boys and was talking to them about Christmas. She kept asking DS2 what he wanted for Christmas. He started to panic and I tried polielty to get her to go away just saying he wants a Barney movie. She informed me "hes old enough to talk and can say what he wants. If he wants to get something for Christmas he has to talk."She kept trying to get him to talk which you could see plain as day was freaking him out. So I finally stepped between them and told her that "he doesnt talk so please go away". She informed me that it was because I baby him. I wanted to scream at her but just walked away. Poor DS2 was quiet the rest of the night.

I dont understand what makes people "doctors" and think they know why my kids do certian things....

Advertisement

Last edited by FairyBeautifulMama; 12-02-2011 at 07:57 AM.
FairyBeautifulMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
ayer79
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I feel for you. My son is very delayed also. A couple at the restaurant thought he was 18mo old last night bc of his "banter" as she called it....he's 3 1/2. I find I simply say he's shy and leave it that. Also, I say we don't encourage talking to strangers. If that lady would have been that rude to me, I would have lost it on her. I do not allow strangers to critique my parenting or comment on my children, especially in front of them. I'm sorry you had to deal with such ignorance! ((hugs))
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
CEVmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Stop trying to make him talk....

Ugh, so sorry you had to deal with that. My dd is also delayed in speech, and I also get people saying it's because I "baby" her. She's at a point now where she will "talk", but nobody understands what she says, but that seems to make people just think she is younger than she is so I don't get a lot of comments anymore. Every now and then she will say something really clearly and I'll be like, "You said XYZ!! Yay!" and people look at me funny because it seems very normal to them for a kid to say something like that.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

What the hell?!?! That is crazy town That goofy woman is lucky you held it together One day she is going to run her mouth to the wrong person. Sorry people are so ignorant.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #5
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Seriously, bummer. My DD is hearing impaired, so doesn't speak much either, and you can't see her equipment under her hair, so I'm always getting looks like 'let her talk' from strangers, but never anything like that. I also HATE when strangers TOUCH MY BABY WITHOUT ASKING!! Grrrrrr, I don't know you, you don't know us or our situation, just chill out, right???
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #6
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

that sucks mama. people don't get it. they are idiots. my friend told me dd (who has cerebral palsy) didn't drink from a cup (like bring it to her mouth wiht her own hands/arms) because i was "letting her be lazy". WTH!??! like i want to be feeding my 3 year old like an infant? or like we don't pay a ton to put her in really challenging therapies 5x/week so that she can be LAZY?!

honestly i've been waiting for someone (a stranger) to say somethign to me and i'm just going to say flat out she has cerebral palsy so stfu. its much easier when you have a diagnosis though. before we got her dx i had to say "global delays" and everyone was like...huh?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Seriously, bummer. My DD is hearing impaired, so doesn't speak much either, and you can't see her equipment under her hair, so I'm always getting looks like 'let her talk' from strangers, but never anything like that. I also HATE when strangers TOUCH MY BABY WITHOUT ASKING!! Grrrrrr, I don't know you, you don't know us or our situation, just chill out, right???
if someone ever touched my dd they would surely pull back a bloody stump.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
Illinoise
Registered Users

We have similar problems DD is 3 with HFA and she talks a ton but doesn't really answer questions.
It's so frustrating when we're out and random strangers talk to her and refuse to stop even though she isn't responding. That just makes her upset and the rest of the day is miserable.
Illinoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When people say things like that to DFS as he's spitting out food, I generally say something like, "His medical team of 13 has been working for 2 years to get him to swallow. If you know more than his team, they'd be glad to take you on board." It generally shuts them up.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #10
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

I just tell folks that my dd doesn't like people she doesn't know. Which is true, even if it's not the real reason she can't answer questions like "are you ready for christmas?" or " are you a good big sister" or whatever. I haven't ever had anyone try to force the issue, most just respond with "good for her, that's a good thing."
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote