Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #1
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Too early?

Ever since DD was about 2 months, the women of my family have been pushing for me to give cereal saying it would make her happier but I always said absolutely not and breastmilk was plenty for her. DD has always been a big eater and I exclusively pump so she is getting breastmilk only. In the past week she's been having 7-8 4 oz. bottles so I figured I would try some cereal to see if she would be more satisfied (she was 4 months on Nov 22). I don't want to hold her back but I work hard for her milk so I guess I see everything else as a "threat" per se. Crazy maybe but am I doing the right thing? She did really well taking the spoon and swallowing. I worry about 4 months being too early. I gave her organic rice cereal from Earth's Best as I read that they need the iron in commercial cereal. Any input is appreciated.

Advertisement

Laylas_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
amykay44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Too early?

My first DS was a big eater and was totally ready for cereal at 4 months. He took to it really well and it really did help him be more satified. My second DS wasn't really interested and waited until more like 5 1/2 months. I say if you offer it to her and she seems content and interested, she is ready. Just follow her lead, if she wasn't ready or interested, she would have let you know. Good Luck Mama
amykay44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

APA guidelines are exclusive BF or FF for the first 6 months. After that solids are optional and as your baby shows readiness until the age of one.

Is your lo unhappy? How is food the answer for that? My son always took 4oz bottles of bm, until he was one and we weaned him off the bottle. We did 8 sessions a day so that sounds like an average intake. Kellymom.com has a calculator that can help determine how many oz a day your lo needs.
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #4
homeschoolingmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think that it depends on the baby. 2 of mine didn't eat solids until 6 mos, 1 ate them at 2 weeks (huge mistake he was my first), and my youngest is almost 5 mos and just started yesterday, but he was constantly grabbing food from me and totally wanted to eat. I didn't do cereal though, and probably won't until later if I do at all!
Old 12-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

A breastfed baby shouldn't need the iron. So, take that out of the equation. And cereal is, for the most part, pointless. There are some very refluxy babies out there who benefit from grains at an early age.

My daughter had 4-5oz bottles every 2 hours until she was 1 (except for STTN). Just like your daughter. It's actually recommended to feed small amounts more often rather than to give the large 8oz bottles. It's better for their stomach and digestive systems. I didn't force the smaller bottles on her, though, that's just all she ever wanted at a time.

Your daughter sounds perfectly normal.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
Is your lo unhappy? How is food the answer for that?
I am not giving cereal to soothe her or anything. She is not unhappy whatsoever.

Thanks mamas for all the input. We will continue cereal as she really liked it.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
cacasey1981
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylas_Mom

I am not giving cereal to soothe her or anything. She is not unhappy whatsoever.

Thanks mamas for all the input. We will continue cereal as she really liked it.
That was just what you said. I think that people say things to us like "your lo will be happier if you do X" but what they really mean is "your lo will be less of a burden/hassle"

BF babies eat often and relatives think it must be uber-inconvenient to have to sit down and nurse/pump however many times a day - when really it's more of a pain (and $ drain) to buy food/cereal, prep it, spend what feels like eternity trying to get 2 tablespoons into them and off the floor, washing up afterwards...
Wife to Brandon - my high school sweetheart (Oct 00), delaying vaccs as best we can and WOH parents to Trent (Nov 08) our intact, formerly ERF, slightly son and Lilly (May 12) our , maybe one day , and (for now) daughter (my hypnobaby).
cacasey1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Whipple
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacasey1981 View Post
That was just what you said. I think that people say things to us like "your lo will be happier if you do X" but what they really mean is "your lo will be less of a burden/hassle"

BF babies eat often and relatives think it must be uber-inconvenient to have to sit down and nurse/pump however many times a day - when really it's more of a pain (and $ drain) to buy food/cereal, prep it, spend what feels like eternity trying to get 2 tablespoons into them and off the floor, washing up afterwards...
Whipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's not happier as in mood happier, but more as in more satisfied since she eats so often and at such a high volume. So yea, you had it right. I thought you meant like babies cry and it seems all people want to do is feed to get them quiet. I guess 32 ounces isn't that high of a volume now that I see that others are taking in the same thing.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #10
LivingaSweetLife
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would say that's a normal amount and I wouldn't start cereal yet, but that's just my opinion.
LivingaSweetLife is offline   Reply With Quote