Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #11
NY716
Registered Users

Re: Too early?

7-8 4 ounce bottles is pretty normal for a breastfed baby. I don't think there's any reason that you need to feed her cereal. She's getting all the nutrition she needs from the breastmilk (and the breastmilk is way more nutritious then cereal). That said if it makes your life easier to feed her cereal I don't think it's a bad thing to be doing. You have to do what works for you.

Advertisement

NY716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #12
luvmybubs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
IME it totally depends on the baby. My third absolutely needed to start solids at 4.5 months. He was STTN and then changed to waking every 1.5 hrs. Then after lots of suggestions to start solids, I finally relented. And it helped him STTN again! He was also super fussy. I thought he was teething. Now I realize he was hungry!

As the mama, you instinctively know what is best for your baby. Of course if you have doubts it never hurts to ask the pediatrician.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #13
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Babies tummies under 4 months cannot tolerate solid foods, even if she seems to enjoy it, it's really bad for their digestion. The AAP recommends breastfeeding exclusively until 6 months, but 4 months, absolute minimum. It's so much healthier to wait, mama
Old 12-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
FairSailing188
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cereal provides very little if any nutritional value. Since your LO is BFed iron isn't an issue. If she truly is hungry I would try some pureed sweet potato or avocado instead of cereal.

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.
FairSailing188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #15
stevensmommy2011
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My grandma started pushing at 2 months too. The doctor my mother was seeing for my brother when he was born suggested solids at 2 months as he wasn't gaining weight properly. My son, however, was past the 95th percentile of growth since he was born (regained his birthweight 2 days after birth) and was draining me dry by two months (I was still BF at the time, and overproducing averaging 8 oz every couple hours on my right side). I decided to try him on solids and he took to it like a duck to water. It was the only thing he hasn't reacted to yet as well, he reacted adversely to both formula and my breast milk. He's seven months now and loves (real) oatmeal with pears, and quinoa with mild curry. Take in mind, the people in my family are freaks of nature and don't react to things like normal people would.
stevensmommy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote