Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #1
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Cloth wipes ~ please help

Ok, I am new to cloth diapering ~ been exclusive for about 6 weeks. I would like to try cloth wipes too. Please tell me some of your favorites, I am interested in making my own, but not sure what type of fabric would work best. I also want to make my own wipe solution, (I saw one post where a momma used lavendar/vanilla ~ sounds great!!) and would like some help there too. Thanks so much! This site is so much help!

Advertisement

mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Brandy1010
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommagruber
Ok, I am new to cloth diapering ~ been exclusive for about 6 weeks. I would like to try cloth wipes too. Please tell me some of your favorites, I am interested in making my own, but not sure what type of fabric would work best. I also want to make my own wipe solution, (I saw one post where a momma used lavendar/vanilla ~ sounds great!!) and would like some help there too. Thanks so much! This site is so much help!
I made my wipes out of all my receiving blankets! I love them!
Brandy1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
grinnellian2001
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cloth wipes ~ please help

My favorite homemade wipes are receiving blankets on one side (the flannel seems to hold up better than the brand new stuff from JoAnns) and thin stretch terry from a cheap baby towel on the other. I cut them into 8x8 squares and serge. I also sometimes make them with poly/cotton velour (look for 75%+ cotton content) from old track pants, nightgowns, etc. I've given wipes to various friends and some prefer the terry some prefer the velour but both are really popular combos. You can get the stretch terry by the yard at JoAnns in some cool tropical prints and solids too.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

I made mine from receiving blankets. The flannel is awesome for wiping up messes. I cut up 2 squares of flannel and sew them together. I think its 7x7 or 8x8 in. Because of making cloth wipes, I've learned how to use a sewing machine I like the receiving blanket wipes because the prints are actually cute!
Old 12-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Ramsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought these Grovia wipes from Amazon.com...they are so soft. But you can make your own like the ladies said..I use a wipe warmer and love it. These wipes are sooooo soft....love them!
Ramsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
mommagruber
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mommas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsmomma View Post
I bought these Grovia wipes from Amazon.com...they are so soft. But you can make your own like the ladies said..I use a wipe warmer and love it. These wipes are sooooo soft....love them!
Do you use a homemade solution in your warmer??
mommagruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
lucysgreenmomma
Registered Users
seller

I just use one 7x7 layer of flannel with a zig zag stitch around the edge to keep it from fraying. I made some two layer ones but I feel like those are too thick, maybe when she starts solids I'll like them. (she's three months old now)

For a wipe solution I fill an old gallon milk jug with water, a squirt of fav baby wash, a squirt of baby oil and some drops of witch hazel. I love the way the witch hazel smells so clean but you could put any essential oil for fragrance. Then I put about a dozen wipes in one of those plastic travel wipe cases and pour enough wipe solution in it to get them all a little damp. I don't worry about getting every last inch of each wipe wet.

That's what works for us!! HTH
Old 12-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

I've used flannel and I had some with terry cloth. I hated the terry cloth, but the flannel ones were wonderful.

I don't remember who made them, but she was on diaperswappers. I bought them from her a few different times, and she did a great job. Each set I bought held up for about four years. (I use them for daycare kids)
Old 12-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
HollyS
Registered Users
seller
seller

My favorites are flannel on one side with velour, terry, or sherpa on the other. I also have some flannel/flannel that are great for wet diapers. I also have some single layer velour that I love for cleaning messy faces.

For solution, I mix a few drops of Naturally Luxe baby wash and a few drops of olive oil with a cup or two of warm water.
Mommy to DD (11), DS (8), DD (6), DD (3), and #5 due 2/14
HollyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #10
CWHmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

The only wipes I can use are GMD cotton velour wipes. Love them and we use for everything.