Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #1
oakmom
Registered Users

Help with keeping baby dry at night

We are a few weeks in to cloth diapering our month-old son, and while it's going well during the day, we have trouble keeping him dry during the night, when he (theoretically) sleeps for four hours at a stretch. The problem is that if his diaper is wet during that time, it wakes him up and then he can't go back to sleep so we have to start the feed-calm-sleep process all over. (Ditto if we wake him up to change it, since he hates diaper changes.) If we use disposables during the same stretch, he sleeps right through, presumably because he's not noticing the wetness since it's getting absorbed. Wondering if any of the experts here can help with a solution, since this forum has been super useful as we've gotten started on this road.

I'd love to ditch the disposables but am not sure what the best strategy is to keep the cloth diapers relatively dry for several hours at a time. (They're not leaking so I don't think it's a size issue; just getting wet enough that he feels it against his skin.) An added challenge is that we use a diaper service, and while I'm very open to adding additional diapers that we launder ourselves (we can adjust our prefold weekly number and pay accordingly), my first choice is to work within their system to find a solution so we don't have to worry about keeping track of which diaper goes into which bin. They offer prefolds (standard sizes---we have green-edged infant right now for an almost-8-pound baby), GroVia BioSoakers (it's a combo cloth/compost service so these go in with the prefolds for pickup and subsequent composting), and EcoGenesis compostable diapers (which might be a solution for nights---he's not quite big enough for their newborn size to fit well yet, so hard to tell). We have a mix of Thirsties and GroVia covers, but are open to adding other diapers if there's a good nighttime solution separate from the service. Also curious about the various inserts for GroVia---they have a new Stay Dry soaker pad coming out plus various boosters that could work well with the covers we already have as a complement to the options through our service while not adding a huge amount of laundry. Just not sure whether these will solve the problem or not!

Would love any advice from those of you who are more experienced on this front---anything you'd try to start with? Thanks!!

Advertisement

oakmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
FancyCloth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help with keeping baby dry at night

you need a diaper with wicking materials against skin , stay dry liners would work too, over inserts....
fabrics like like suede cloth, micro fleece, crushed panne velour wicks mositure away...not anti pill fleece against skin..pockets diapers would be perfect for you too!!
FancyCloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
rachelanne820
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the pocket diapers. I generally use wool at night but always use a fleece (stay dry) liner at night. If you are already using PUL covers, I would def. pick up a couple pockets to try. Pockets have a stay dry liner built in and you can customize the absobancy. I recommend BumGenius 4.0 and FuzziBuns.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
MomBecks
Registered Users

I find wool to be the best nighttime cover. Wool helps regulate temperature and lets baby's bum breathe so they don't get rashy. And you might just try adding a fleece liner to your prefolds for a stay-dry effect. HTH!
Old 12-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
Kelly3139
Registered Users
seller

To make any diaper feel dry on the inside all you need is a fleece insert to lay between the baby and the diaper. I also use the fleece as a poop catcher when they are older instead of a disposable liner. You can buy a yard of fleece for $7, buy a light color so it doesn't bleed onto diapers on in wash (learned that first hand) and then just cut it to size of the inside of the diaper. It does not need to be sewn because fleece does not unravel. You can even layer a few on top of each other for more dryness. These are also great if you have to use rash cream to protect inside of the diaper. One yard should make at least 25 liners and you just wash and reuse so its very economical too.
Kelly3139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #6
crunchyNurseMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Cas***29
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmom
We are a few weeks in to cloth diapering our month-old son, and while it's going well during the day, we have trouble keeping him dry during the night, when he (theoretically) sleeps for four hours at a stretch. The problem is that if his diaper is wet during that time, it wakes him up and then he can't go back to sleep so we have to start the feed-calm-sleep process all over. (Ditto if we wake him up to change it, since he hates diaper changes.) If we use disposables during the same stretch, he sleeps right through, presumably because he's not noticing the wetness since it's getting absorbed. Wondering if any of the experts here can help with a solution, since this forum has been super useful as we've gotten started on this road.

I'd love to ditch the disposables but am not sure what the best strategy is to keep the cloth diapers relatively dry for several hours at a time. (They're not leaking so I don't think it's a size issue; just getting wet enough that he feels it against his skin.) An added challenge is that we use a diaper service, and while I'm very open to adding additional diapers that we launder ourselves (we can adjust our prefold weekly number and pay accordingly), my first choice is to work within their system to find a solution so we don't have to worry about keeping track of which diaper goes into which bin. They offer prefolds (standard sizes---we have green-edged infant right now for an almost-8-pound baby), GroVia BioSoakers (it's a combo cloth/compost service so these go in with the prefolds for pickup and subsequent composting), and EcoGenesis compostable diapers (which might be a solution for nights---he's not quite big enough for their newborn size to fit well yet, so hard to tell). We have a mix of Thirsties and GroVia covers, but are open to adding other diapers if there's a good nighttime solution separate from the service. Also curious about the various inserts for GroVia---they have a new Stay Dry soaker pad coming out plus various boosters that could work well with the covers we already have as a complement to the options through our service while not adding a huge amount of laundry. Just not sure whether these will solve the problem or not!

Would love any advice from those of you who are more experienced on this front---anything you'd try to start with? Thanks!!
Mother-ease stay dry liners are nice! I also like baby beehinds size minkee AIO/pocket. It has suede cloth that touches babies bottom (stay dry) & a mircofiber soaker sewn in. The pocket allows you to add another layer for absorbency! Also bummis makes a fleece stay dry liner that is super cheap!
crunchyNurseMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

My favorite night diaper for a young baby is a Fuzzi Bunz. Their one size is actually quite nice on young babies - the leg gussets keep everything in and the fleece inner is stay dry. The smalls fit for a good long while, too. You could just throw them in with towel laundry as long as you don't use fabric softener on your towels.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
mallotalvo
Registered Users
seller

you might want to try Grovia's disposable stay-dry liners, also can be composted. they helped when i started CDing.
mallotalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 AM   #9
oakmom
Registered Users

Thanks all! Sounds like I should get some fleece liners to try, and also maybe a couple of pocket diapers to see how those work. I'll also check out the GroVia stay dry liners---thanks!
oakmom is offline   Reply With Quote