Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Riverleaf1772
Registered Users
seller

Books

So I have majorly cut down on our books. Before we moved to our new apartment we got donated 16 boxes of books to the library. We also got rid of a bunch of bookcases that were falling apart. And I got a Sony reader last year so a lot of my books are electronic. I do paperbackswap for paperback fiction, then use the credits for birthday gifts and school donations.

We still have a lot of boxes of books. So I'm looking at getting bookcases so they aren't all still in boxes. And I value them and want my daughter to value them, so I'm not sure how much to still purge. Any tips and tricks for book purging? Any ideas on how to organize what I have so it will actually be used?

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
Bexo
Registered Users
seller

Re: Books

I would only keep the classic ones in good condition....maybe 1 or 2 shelves full, max. The rest can be on your IPAD/KINDLE, etc. I think we probably have 20 books for us, 10 for the kids, and the rest are ALL on the IPAD/Kindle.
Bexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Spicymustard
Registered Users
seller

I love, love, love my kindle because before I just had a crazy amount of books. We moved into an older home a year ago and this place has built in shelves. Things I put on there are books from my favorite serris. I have most of the old school nancy drew books for example from my grandmother. I loved those books and they are in pretty good condition. Other than that there are 3 other sets that I love so those got put out too. The rest have either been rehomed already for are waiting to be rehomed.

Join me on Swagbucks.
Spicymustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Personally I have purged and purged, and could probably get rid of all but a couple of mine, but the kids books are important to me- are people putting kids books on the e-readers too? I don't allow my kids screen time so that wouldn't work for me, but I guess it would make sense if that wasn't a problem for your family...

We're down to two big ikea bookcases (6 shelf) with a couple text book style books put away for when the kids are older. We also home school so we need more for that
As far as organizing them, the blog counting coconuts had a good idea
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

I just went through my son's books. He had way too many and he was getting overwhelmed. I got rid of over 40 and his bookshelf is still pretty full (maybe 50-60 left?). Over time I'd like to get rid of more books or replace them, but that shelf will be split between two kids so not too bad.

Don't forget, however, that there are libraries! DS *loves* going to the library to pick out a few books, keeping them for a few weeks and then bringing them back.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Macyllehub
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I went from 8 book shelves (6'x4' in size) to 2 this last year. It was HARD. I'm a serious book lover and still frequent the library weekly with my kids.

I kept: hard to find books, classics, specialty topics, and those books that are worth reading constantly.
Expecting someone small Sept 2014
Macyllehub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #7
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macyllehub View Post
I went from 8 book shelves (6'x4' in size) to 2 this last year. It was HARD. I'm a serious book lover and still frequent the library weekly with my kids.

I kept: hard to find books, classics, specialty topics, and those books that are worth reading constantly.
I think this is a great guideline. Books that are good, but probably won't be read again shouldn't be kept around. Seems so simple and obvious, I should've thought of that

I also have a hard time getting rid of the kids' books. But so far I don't mind the shelves and shelves.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I traded off 40 english paperbacks last month.

But I will hang on to all of my kids book for the fact that I live overseas in a non english speaking country and I paid alot to get the books here.

Library is a nice option for local language books but not english. And even then, many kids want to read the same books so I plan to have some on hand as well there.

I need to get a bookcase or shelves set up for my DS.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 AM   #9
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Forgot to add that we do rotate a lot- we have a bunch separated out for the seasons, so right now the spring, fall, and summer books are packed away. We also rotate holiday specific books, so for example the christmas ones are out now but the easter and halloween ones are packed away.

And we do generally check a book out from the library at least once (if not multiple times) before buying it, just to make sure it's one we really want around. The ones we really fall in love with are added to an amazon wish list to buy when we need gifts or whatever.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenajean1 View Post
I traded off 40 english paperbacks last month.

But I will hang on to all of my kids book for the fact that I live overseas in a non english speaking country and I paid alot to get the books here.

Library is a nice option for local language books but not english. And even then, many kids want to read the same books so I plan to have some on hand as well there.

I need to get a bookcase or shelves set up for my DS.
I know that if I was in a different country again, I would hold on to far more than I do now. Are your kids bilingual?
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote