Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
dpelephant
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Books

I really struggle with books too. We are a heavy reading family. It does not help that our local library has amazing quarterly sales and I can get most books for 50 cents and kids books for 50 cents an inch (yes, they measure them).
Just today I went through my books and have 2 big boxes to donate to the library.

Advertisement

I earn extra $ with Swagbucks and Ebates! Join me
dpelephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I have a hard time with books too, when we moved I managed to cut my collection down to one diaper box full...and have already bought two more =( though I get them at a consignment store when I do buy them and they are 25cents a piece...I do donate them after a little while but still. I just have an easier time shelling out the quarter that way if I do somehow ruin it *cough drop it in the tub cough* I don't have to worry, unlike library books.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aithyne View Post
I know that if I was in a different country again, I would hold on to far more than I do now. Are your kids bilingual?
I speak English with DS and DH speaks only German with him. He is only a year but responds to both languages. We get the same response if we say no or nein

I do find my possessions to be more. Many things like my excersaucer for instance, I bought from an American, they are not even sold here so selling and getting one later is just not an option. And many items after being imported make more sense to hang on through the kids then to purge and replace later.

So in terms of books he has both German and english books. I found a bookcase and it has 2 shelves. I will keep one for each language and rotate out books.

I am actually going to send myself mbags full of english books from the US. Buying books here new, I can send myself 30 pounds of books for less then 10 new books here.

I do have a smaller amount of Germany books since we can go to the library. But I will keep some in the home as well for daddy to read with him.

Same with pretty much everything music, toys we have both languages. But it gets tricky nowadays with so many US toys being spanish/english bilingual, poor kid will already be confused enough

I wait for the day he starts school and fights with the teacher about proper english, they teach Oxford English over here and I have heard a lot of American kids struggle with the differences. They mark them down when they use words like pants instead of trousers. We will have to see how that plays out
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I used to keep every book. I've been slowly purging them. I've gotten down to bare minimum now because we have very little storage space and great libraries.
I have one large shelf in a hall closet for books. Most of my books are on my Kindle. We have a few reference books, special/sentimental books and then books that are rotated. DD has a shelf in her room, she's pretty good about getting rid of books in order to get new ones. The boys have a book case similar to this one that DH made. I keep favorites and seasonal books on their case and rotate them out every few months.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote