Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:32 AM   #1
MarchMama2x
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ammonia in hemp

We haven't CD'd at night for about 2 months because I got tired of fighting the ammonia in our night time diapers. We were using Kawaii goodnights pockets stuffed with thirsties hemp prefold + 1 large hemparoo insert. Our current living situation has us using an HE top loader. I have tried all kinds of things to cure the ammonia (overnight soaks with detergent or vinegar, boiling the inserts, stripping with various methods including dawn, rlr, and sport wash, changing detergents between strips) and nothing worked so I just gave up.

We move into a new house in 2 weeks that comes with an old fashioned NON HE top loader! Yay for cleaner diapers!

I'd like to fix my hemp inserts once and for all and start CD'ing at night again if I can.

How do you suggest I rid these hemp inserts of ammonia once and for all? They've been sitting for 2 months unused and it makes me sad. They smell clean but I know they will burn my guys bottom if I try and use them.

Like I said I will have a top loader that has the ability for soaks and warm rinses. I will also have a huge double utility sink for soaking if needed. Should I try Dawn again? I still have the bottle of original blue dawn I hunted the entire state of maryland for.... or should I shell out the cash for RnG's ammonia bouncer? I have seen tide f&g powder in the store that is not ultra (both liquid and powder) so I could try some washes with that also. Someone also mentioned to me an overnight baking soda soak.

Where should I start?

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
hadassah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ammonia in hemp

I had some issues with my covers in my HE washer. I called Cotton Babies and they suggested I use half the amount that I usually use with a cold wash cycle, and then the other half with a hot wash. After I tried RLR etc as you. It sounded too simple but for some strange reason it worked. You may have not used enough detergent and do you guys have hard water? Yo may want to try a water softener.
hadassah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you given bleach a shot sweetie? I wash every load with 1/4 of it and have never had an odor. Sometimes it takes a cpl washes to get all of the odor and odor causing bacteria out. Natural fibers don't nornally get buildup. It could have however started with buildup of minerals in the urine. You have stripped though so I don't see this as an issue. Just a note, rlr is mainly washing soda. Don't know how it can even be labeled for sale other than plain washing soda? Sad. Anyhow. I would just give the bleach a shot. You may need more than 1/4 cup with an old style tl'er. I used more when we had one years back. Remember, it may take a cpl washes to kill everything. Hemp can be know to be a little stinkey. You can then just use the bleach every week or just once a month to keep the stinkeys out. Be sure to use chlorine bleach though. The oxy bleach is just that, oxygen cleaner. Not a bacteria killer.

HTH!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
Mommyk8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'd bleach them to get them nice and fresh now that you have a non HE washer and then you shold be okay with whatever wash routine you use
Old 12-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
MarchMama2x
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ya know, I cant remember if I tried bleach or not! It seems like I tried everything though. I guess that is a good place as any to start once we move!

We have normal water here (not hard or soft) but moved from a state with very hard water just before this started, so perhaps the change in water plus using an HE top loader did cause some buildup.

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
silvermaille
Registered Users
seller

I use Bac Out and sometimes RnG's Funk Rock in the prewash (double rinse). Then I wash in extra RnG then do an extra double rinse. I have extremely hard water and a softener. I haven't had problems with my hemp since I started that process.

Married to DH for 18 years, Mom to a little miracle queen bee (3/10)
silvermaille is offline   Reply With Quote