Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:
How to purge without upsetting DH?

I have a lot of junk to purge. Tons of clothing...etc.

How can I purge it without DH getting mad that I'm "throwing out" stuff we "paid for?"

Thanks!

Advertisement

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #2
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How to purge without upsetting DH?

Can you donate to charity? Then you're not throwing it out, and you will be helping someone else out.
Lots of charities resell things and use the money for their programs. There is a charity for everything, maybe find one that is important to you.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
MayasMommy
Registered Users
seller

Donating is always a great option, but if your DH is concerned about the financial loss, perhaps you could hold a yard sale, or sell some things on Ebay/Craigslist/etc to recoup at least some of the money? *Ahem* What sort of clothing do you have to get rid of anyhow? I may be able to help you out with that, lol!
Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
BottomOfMyHearts
Registered Users
Formerly: NewFoundFaith
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
Can you donate to charity? Then you're not throwing it out, and you will be helping someone else out.
Lots of charities resell things and use the money for their programs. There is a charity for everything, maybe find one that is important to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayasMommy View Post
Donating is always a great option, but if your DH is concerned about the financial loss, perhaps you could hold a yard sale, or sell some things on Ebay/Craigslist/etc to recoup at least some of the money? *Ahem* What sort of clothing do you have to get rid of anyhow? I may be able to help you out with that, lol!

Thanks mamas...

Nothing good I assure you. Old Navy and Targets finest. lol
The kids toys etc I think will sell well. We have a community yard sale comming up in the spring.

New Contest coming Soon!Please visit my Facebook store! <--Click
BottomOfMyHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #5
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I had this issue in January. I explained to my husband that we were giving these items to others that could use what we can't. I reminded him about how when we were in desperate need, somehow we always ended up fine due to the generosity of others. He agreed & off it went.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #6
megkmc
Registered Users

Plus, when you donate, you can claim the amount it was worth as a tax deduction. I have heard as far as clothing goes if you actually itemize everything you donate and use the IRS guidelines as to what they are worth, it will be a higher value than you would have estimated on your own. So everyone wins come tax time!
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
themamageek
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

Tell him it's costing more money to keep it.
themamageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #8
pieceofjess
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

get rid of it when he isn't around, lol.
sometimes if I really want something gone but don't want to give it away I just sell it for super cheap on craigslist.

pieceofjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

My DH is not the type to purge or declutter. He's a major saver and pretty frugal too, so everything has value. I get rid of things when he isn't home. I box up stuff and put it in the car for donation. He rarely every says anything or even notices, but I am careful not to mess with his actual belongings and just focus on general household items, the kids stuff, and my things. So I say do it when he's not around.
babykp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #10
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I purge whatever I want to of mine. Clothes that I like I tend to wear until they are no good. So if I donate clothes I just tell him why and let him know its not something I am going to wear so I might as well donate it. For most things I really just use my own discretion. If there is something he really doesn't want me to get rid of I hang onto it for a while. If it still isn't being used later I readdress it and let him know I was hanging onto it to make him happy but it really isn't getting used so I would like to get rid of it.

There are always bumps along the road. For example, DH was asking me for a computer cord he thought he needed the other day. He was going on about how he knew we had one and his cords were in one of the blue totes. I almost burst out laughing as I told him we haven't had those blue totes of cords for years! I was nervous I was going to be in trouble. Luckily he didn't end up needing the cord after all. I just sat beside him and smiled and said "aren't you glad we haven't been hanging onto those blue totes of cords we don't need." In the end there are very few items that I have purged and later regretted it. Even those items I have had to buy twice don't justify all the clutter that would be in my life if I hung onto everything knowing it might be used one day.

I wasn't being sneaky getting rid of the cords just at the time I knew there was a slim chance of them getting used. DH doesn't organize he stashes stuff. He use to save every receipt. They were not organized, just thrown in a duffle bag. It was hilarious, finding a receipt in there would be like finding a needle in a hay stack!