Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Help with stink / repelling please?

We're 7 weeks into cloth diapering our newborn and we're having major repelling issues and some ammonia stink. Please help me figure this out!

Here's all my specific info, in case it helps with troubleshooting!

Washing machine: HE front loader
Detergent: Rockin Green Hard Rock
Diapers: Kissaluvs Newborn AIOs (PUL outer, ployester microfleece inner)
(We also use SoftBums on occasion, but these aren't repelling because they haven't been washed as many times.)

Wash Routine:
1. Rinse + Spin (Cold/Cold)
2. Rinse, No Spin (Cold) (this soaks the diapers, adding extra water)
3. Heavy Duty + 1 tbsp Rockin Green Hard Rock (Hot/Cold, Extra Rinse)

Advertisement

At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

Re: Help with stink / repelling please?

How many diapers are you washing at a time? 1 tablespoon seems too little to me, but I use EcoSprout. I typically use 3 to 4 tbsp per load, and I throw 1 tablespoon in my prewash.

Second question - Are you using any diaper creams? If you are, be sure that you are using only ones that are compatible with cloth diapers.

Third question - Do you have hard or soft water? I have hard water and that is why I use 3 to 4 tablespoons of detergent.

Fourth question - Are you sure they are repelling and that the baby is not just peeing through? My son would pee through newborn sized diapers pretty early on so we had to switch. Also, if the fit isn't tight around the thighs then they tend pee out of the leg opening regardless of how absorbent the diaper is.
poskozim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #3
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yay, thank you for helping!!

I wash about 15 diapers at a time. Rockin Green website recommends 1-2 tbsp for HE machines.

We have used CJ's. I think we used Grandma El's once or twice before we realized it's not 100% CD safe.

I THINK our water is hard, but we do have a water softener. I'm not sure if the water that goes to the washing machine is softened. :S

I'm confident they're repelling because he used to SOAK a diaper. It would be super heavy and still contain the pee. Now the diapers are really light and instead of holding the urine, the urine has to escape somewhere (usually a leg opening, sometimes up the back.)
Old 12-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

I would try using more detergent...the harder the water the more detergent needed. Also, are the diapers smelly after you wash them or do the just have a strong ammonia smell after the baby pees? If the latter, then you may want to try stripping the diapers. I have an HE as well so I fill the bathtub with a couple of inches of water (just enough to soak the diapers) and put in 3 to 4 tbsp of detergent and let soak overnight. After they soak, I wash them w/o any detergent. This should help pull out any ammonia residue build up you have in the diapers. You may have diaper rash as well if you have ammonia build up.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just went and took a sniff. Clean diapers have a faint sweet smell to them. The ammonia smell only happens when they've been peed in (and not every diaper every time).
Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

If the smell is bad after they have been peed in then you probably have a build up from not using enough detergent in your wash routine. I would strip them and then alter your wash routine. Mine is as follows:

1. express wash (28 minutes), I select heavy soil to increase the water amount, warm/warm with 1 tbsp of detergent
2. Hot/Cold normal wash, heavy soil, auto soak and second rinse (this takes around 2 hours to complete) with 3 to 4 tbsp of detergent depending on how many diapers I am washing. If I wash more than 20 then I use 4 tbsp.

I use warm water on step 1 as stains come out easier at the temperature they were made

Also, stripping them may help remove any residue that is still there from using the unsafe diaper cream.

Did you buy these diapers new or are they used???
Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bought new, prepped according to manufacturer instructions, used for 7 weeks.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #8
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

Last comment ( I promise )... are you sure you are getting a good fit around the leg openings??? If you see any gaping at all, then the diaper will leak.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Confident it's a good fit. They look the same they did a few weeks ago when they were performing perfectly.

I REALLY appreciate your help. Do you think I should start with a soak right away tonight? Would it be a bad idea to soak the dirty diapers along with the clean ones, or should I get them all washed up before soaking?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
poskozim
Registered Users
seller

I would clean them then soak them otherwise you will just be soaking them in urine water. I did all mine at once, which means I had to go get a bag of disposables liners to use with my GroVia Shells as these didn't need to be stripped. Good luck!