Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

knitting/wool question (with a pic)

I went to the thrift store and found this HUGE knitted blanket/shawl thing. I bought it because it was cute, cost hardly anything, and wanted to make a bunch of wool soakers with it. All I have is upcycled wool that WAHMs made. I've never made one and am not too familiar with knitted things. See pic: can I use this thing as wool? It's made from yarn (see loose yarn ends). For the mommas that knit, is this the same thing? Do u knit with any kind of yarn and can I use just any yarn for a soaker? Is yarn wool? I know, a silly question, but I have no idea what this is, just that its knitted by someone. Do I have to felt this too? Any advice welcome. (I'm not even sure if I asked the right questions lol.) TIA!!

ForumRunner_20111204_192430.jpg

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's hard to see on my phone, but it looks crocheted. It's probably made from acrylic, so it won't felt. I'd have to see a bigger pic of it.

~~~~~~~
Don't worry, it's autocorrect, I know how to type in English. ;p

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: knitting/wool question (with a pic)

I also think it looks like crochet. If the fringe is made of the same yarn as the body of the afghan, snip off a piece & try to light it w/ a match or lighter...it'll burn if it's wool, but will just smolder & melt (& smell really stinky) if it's acrylic--which it probably is if you got it really cheap.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:39 PM   #4
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Here's a bigger pic. So crochetted (spelling?) things can't be used as soakers? How do you know if it's acyrlic? I hope it's not because it is ginormous, like it could cover me and DH! Or do I just have to try and felt it to see?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Sorry I forgot the pic lol. Here it is:

ForumRunner_20111204_194020.jpg

It was in the shirt section, so it was $3, same as all the other shirts
Old 12-04-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
JeDeeLenae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaby712
Here's a bigger pic. So crochetted (spelling?) things can't be used as soakers? How do you know if it's acyrlic? I hope it's not because it is ginormous, like it could cover me and DH! Or do I just have to try and felt it to see?
I haven't seen a recycled crocheted soaker/ longies before. I'm guessing on the acrylic because of the size, it's handmade & was in a thrift store, and there was a lot of yarn, wool is expensive, acrylic is not. So it's just a guess.

~~~~~~~
Don't worry, it's autocorrect, I know how to type in English. ;p

JeDeeLenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:54 PM   #7
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I also think it looks like crochet. If the fringe is made of the same yarn as the body of the afghan, snip off a piece & try to light it w/ a match or lighter...it'll burn if it's wool, but will just smolder & melt (& smell really stinky) if it's acrylic--which it probably is if you got it really cheap.
Is this burning? Sorry for all of the dumb questions. It's burning like a candle wick. Is this what u meant by burning? See pic in my next post. (My phone is acting up)
Skybaby712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:55 PM   #8
Skybaby712
Registered Users
seller

ForumRunner_20111204_195529.jpg
Old 12-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

If it's wool & if you felt it, you sure could sew it into a soaker (or longies or whatever). There's no way to tell just by looking at the pics if the yarn it's crocheted from is wool or not...as Cassie said, it's likely acrylic, but it could be wool, cotton, or anything else. You can try felting it, as wool is the only think that will felt up, otherwise there are a couple "tests" you can do. The first is the one I listed above, burning it. Do be careful, don't burn your house down, & make sure that you cut a piece of yarn off & use that. Otherwise, I gather you can snip off a piece of yarn & see if it dissolves in bleach; wool will dissolve but acrylic won't--I haven't tried it, but did read it online, so I don't know how well it works.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #10
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybaby712 View Post
Is this burning? Sorry for all of the dumb questions. It's burning like a candle wick. Is this what u meant by burning? See pic in my next post. (My phone is acting up)
I gotta be honest; I haven't had to do it, so I'm unsure...cotton would burn, too, I think, but I know that acrylic would melt. I think candle wicks are made of cotton, so that may be what your blanket is made of. Cotton wouldn't make a good soaker, of course, & it wouldn't felt, but I think it would still be a great buy for $3 as a blanket...heck, it's still great even if you use it as a dog blanket!