Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #1
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
question on caring for uncirc

Hi all, this is NOT to be a debate on to circ or not to circ... want to get that clear straight off

I am pregnant with my 6th child... I have 4 boys that are all circ'd.... if this baby is a boy I will not be circ'ing BUT I need all the info I can get on how to care for it properly as I do not want any problems for him.

Do I need to look for a Dr who is going to be *intact* friendly? I have always had Dr's who were for circ!

Do I need to do anything special to keep it clean? or just leave it alone...

Any info would be great!

And if you have a horror story and you know what caused it ( to provide a solution) please post that as well.

My mind is already made up so just load me up with info

Advertisement

Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
zonapellucida
Registered Users
seller

Location: Diligently working on getting out of the hellish state of FL
My Mood:
Re: question on caring for uncirc

There really isn't much to care for as there hasn't been anything done to the penis. UMMM I found that later as the foreskin separates you may have to gently retract it....DO NOT PULL IT BACK FORCEFULLY, just what it will go it self and gently wipe the tip of the penis if there is a build up or poop ect in there. You can tell ig there is anything "wrong" if the foreskin gets inflamed or really red. It pretty much takes care of itself. For really big messes I just stick my two in the tub and wash him that way.

ETA we have only had one inflamation and it was cleared with a good squirt or two over a couple days with breast milk....

Last edited by zonapellucida; 04-17-2007 at 08:40 AM.
zonapellucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

My three month old isn't circ'd, and you truly don't have to do anything to care for it at this point. It's totally self-cleaning, and you don't need to retract him at ALL, and you need to make sure that anyone caring for him knows not to retract him, either.

As he gets older, you'll teach him about normal hygiene (retracting as he's able to painlessly, cleaning with water and washcloth)

You do want to try and find a health care provider that's knowledgeable about intact penises. It makes visits much easier.

We've never had any issues at all. I'm really glad we didn't circ.

Last edited by BunnyMcFluff; 04-17-2007 at 08:44 AM.
BunnyMcFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM   #4
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the info, I wasnt sure about the messy poo part.... I will be breastfeeding and they do have different poo LOL I dont remember any major blow outs...
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 3 now and is uncirc'd, we never had to do anything special to it at all. The only thing is, do not retract or let any health care retract it (and they will try). Just wash the outside at bathtime just like any other body part, it's very easy to care for. My son is at the age now where he likes to "play" with it and is retracting a little and pushing the limits on it but it's his body and he knows when to stop.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 AM   #6
akrab
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so at any Dr visit before they go to look do I tell them he is intact and hands off? how do I tell them? since they figure "they are the Dr and they know what they are doing" kwim? how do I tell them without being obnoxious about it...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
BRIDEN
Registered Users
Formerly: brveille
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab View Post
so at any Dr visit before they go to look do I tell them he is intact and hands off? how do I tell them? since they figure "they are the Dr and they know what they are doing" kwim? how do I tell them without being obnoxious about it...
Both my boys are Uncirc. (10m and 4y) and I have done nothing really out of the ordinary. I washed their Penis just like I would htier arm, nothing special. Adn to be honest, I have had noone try to retract it, including hteir pediatrician. I am asuming thier pedi would know he is uncirc considering it is becoming more popular. If someone was to check my sons and tried to retract it, I would jsut say that it isnt necessary. Then I would get a new dr who is more informed.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #8
Christina
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrab View Post
You would be surprised how many Dr's aren't familiar with an uncirc'd penis and how many will try to retract it and how fast it will happen before you can say anything. It's painful for the baby and not good for the penis either, I have heard too many horror stories about Dr's doing it and I watch my son like a hawk when we see the Ped. Luckily my ped knows by now that I would rip his head off if he tried it with my son.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, never, ever retract it and never let a healthcare professional do it either. The ONLY person that should ever retract it is your son. I do think its a good idea to find a "foreskin friendly" ped. If they aren't, then they A.) won't know WTH to do with it and B.) will recommend circ'ing for every little thing. What I do (every single time we go to the ped's, even though her own sons are intact) is just say very clearly "NO RETRACTION, AT ALL" as soon as the diaper comes off. Some doctors will think that by "no retraction" that you mean "don't expose the glans" but they shouldn't retract it all alll, not even a little bit. The BIGGEST cause of infection in an intact penis is premature retraction because when you retract it, you are tearing skin - the foreskin is glued shut like a fingernail. You just wipe the outide like the rest of his body.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:23 AM   #10
luv2recycle
Banned

My Mood:

I appreciate the info too!!! Big time

We are due soon with b/g twins and Isaac (our lil boy) will not be circ'd and I was told to retract it to clean it...Fourtinatly I read this thread. The person who gave me the info has never had a son let alone an un circ'd one...and I feel alot better know having read this

MUCH APPRECIATION!! mt son will thank you too
luv2recycle is offline   Reply With Quote