Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
Formerly: ReiSapphireJade
seller

My Mood:
Harvest Babies Weekly Chat 12/5-12/11

I know we are super slow around here because everyone is busy with their newbies!!!

How is everyone doing PP?

Advertisement

*i* Loved and Lost (6/12), (9/12), & (2/13) *i*
AcrossTheUniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Harvest Babies Weekly Chat 12/5-12/11

oops i just posted on the old thread! lol

well we are doing good if anybody could answer my questions i posted i would appreciate it
Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pumping- I don't pump well. I exclusively pumped for DS2 for his first 6 weeks of life because he was a preemie and I was only ever able to get about 1oz combined per pumping session! I do have low supply normally but I know I make more than that (especially now since Levi is doing fairly well BFing with minimal supplementation). I would get about 10oz a day and DS2 had to have the rest supplemented with formula. Pumping is very painful for me, even with the bigger horns. I'm just not a fan at all!

Nichole- Don't feel bad/weird! I have been in the same situation with my other kids not having nursed for quite some time but then peaking interest when the baby is nursing. I think really they are just looking for a way to be close to you because the new baby is getting so much attention. They see the baby nursing and being close to mommy and they think "if I nurse I can be close to mommy too!" Also, I think they are just fascinated with the fact that there is milk coming out of there. I know my girls think it is so cool. I would just do what you are doing, tell her the milk is for baby brother. Maybe read her some stories while BFing the baby so she can get some mommy time at the same time.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
ChelseaGirl7
Registered Users

Pumping- I hate pumping. I had to pump for dd1 since she was a preemie, I quit as soon as I knew she was latching well and gaining. I have been hand expressing though, I much prefer it.

Bottles- well, the official advice is 4-6 weeks, but a good rule of thumb that I've heard is to just wait until baby is latching well without pain and your milk supply is established and balanced. Really to make sure your supply is balanced you should probably try to wait on bottles until at least around 2 weeks, b/c in the first 2 wks is when your body is adjusting its supply. This of course is all advice that is for babies who are gaining normally, obviously some need to suplement before that.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
naura
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm tandem nursing. it does feel weird to me because now ds seems like such a big boy compared to dd... maybe you can give the expressed milk in a cup while cuddling and having mommy time.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Sally's Red Meadow
Registered Users
josycat
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortdrawbryant View Post
oops i just posted on the old thread! lol

well we are doing good if anybody could answer my questions i posted i would appreciate it
Maybe you could tell her that "pick a word here" are just for babies and she is a big girl. You could compare them to a baby who wears diapers if she is potty trained enough that she would not request diapers again.
My dd likes to rub the baby's back while he nurses and sometimes pats his head. She is about 20 months old. She also likes to point out body parts that she knows like nose, belly, toes, and ears.
I hope this helps.
I did nurse two at a time but it was not for me.
Sally's Red Meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #7
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks everyone. For now I am just keeping on and explaining to her that mommy's milk is for bubba and she is a big girl. when i nurse she likes to crawl on the couch beside me and cuddle with me or give her bubba kisses it is too cute

Also anyone feel like a leaky faucet that won't turn off? I imagine it is because I'm not regulated yet but it seems yesterday and today I have leaked leaked leaked!I've went thru so many sets of nursing pads i don't know what i would do without cloth LOL I am currently feeding DS on demand and pumping twice a day for 10 min each. I am thinking it is because ds is starting to sleep for 4 hr stretches now instead of only 2-3 hrs
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
AcrossTheUniverse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sally- My 2.5yo does the same thing. Pats the baby's head, rubs his back, and he loves to play with his feet!

Bottles- I would say definitely wait until at least 2 weeks. We had to introduce a bottle around 1 week due to weight issues and we were fortunate enough it didn't affect his latch, but when I introduced the bottle with DS1 around the same time for the same reasons, his latch went to heck!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Truckerswife
Registered Users
seller

I introduced a bottle around 6 weeks with all 3 of mine DS took it fine DD1 wanted nothing to do with it until almost 10 months but last week DD2 took a bottle of pumped milk for my mom no problem
I don't mind pumping a little bit with DS I would pump one side 2 times a day and get 12oz a day now I'm tandem nursing and have pumped a few times I pumped 2 oz on one side today as I woke up very full DD2 was still sleeping so I was leaking on the other side when DD1 was nursing I dripped ounce in like 5 minutes than I pumped until I stopped dripping and got 2 oz total this is the second morning I've done this so I now have 4oz frozen
Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #10
shortdrawbryant
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With me pumping twice a day i already have about 40 oz in the freezer. I'm saving mine for when robbie gets old enough for me to comfortably leave him with a sitter part time for me to go back to college (I'm thinking 6 months to a year)

Last edited by shortdrawbryant; 12-06-2011 at 12:58 PM.
shortdrawbryant is offline   Reply With Quote