Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
How much meat can you fit into a 7 cubic foot freezer?

For the past few weeks I've been really wanting to buy some local, grass-fed beef, with some of DH's relatives. The problem is we're a 3 person family living in a 1-bedroom apartment, and DH's job security has gone out the window, so we don't know if we'll need to move in a few months or not. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find a space for a small deep freezer, about 7 cu ft. Just wondering if anyone here has one, and how much meat they can fit into it. Would it fit a 1/4 cow?

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: How much meat can you fit into a 7 cubic foot freezer?

We have the about same size upright and we picked up a 7cuft chest freezer at a yard sale over the summer. I have fit 25 lbs plus other stuff (20 lbs butter, etc) in the chest freezer without a problem. At the bottom of this page it a chart on how much space beef takes up http://store.honoredprairie.com/Quar...CUT_p_128.html

We did find when we raised our own beef when I was growing up that we need more space than this indicates, but our steer were pretty big, one needed to be quartered to even fit in the butcher truck and we had all parts to it. (cringing thinking about my mom with the heart in a roasting pan when I was 9 trying to teach us about anatomy while the butcher was doing the quartering)
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you can get 1/4 of a cow but not much more then that. We got a side of beef and it took 4 of our compartments in our 19+ cubic foot freezer.

Good luck!
Old 12-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
blessedwifenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! That site was a big help. Sounds like it would be just a bit too small for a 1/2 cow, which would have been nice since we like to eat a lot of meat here.