Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

Socks

OMGoodness. They are out of control. Someone point me in the right direction please. We have six people and hundreds of socks. I have thrown out dozens of socks and am down to 12-20 pairs for each person and a few dozen nonmateds. I wash almost everyday... laundry never sits more than 3 days. My boys are hard on socks and I know DH will need more because he needs work socks, workout socks, and everyday socks. How many pairs do you think each person needs?

baby
4 yr old
6 yr old
8 yr old
me (keeping my 6 pairs of wool socks)
dh

Do you have a sock policy or keep a unmatched sock drawer? I know this might seem silly, but I am seriously stuck on this.

TIA!

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Socks

i only do 8-10 per kid to keep track & the same for myself ( i wash every day)

we do the hanes w/the color-coded toes & then the babe has his own gripper kind
Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I used to have a sock basket, because that's how my mom did it. Then we'd have a big sock folding session once a week or so. I ditched that a long time ago though. I started putting each person's socks in their own stack of laundry. If the mate was there, I'd fold them, but otherwise they could match them up later or wear mismatched. Then I started buying all Hanes in each person's size and style they liked. That made it even easier. I've gotten off a little by buying other kinds of socks, but it's not a big deal. Everyone's socks still stay with their laundry. I think each person has 10-15 pairs of socks around here.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I ditched a bunch of socks earlier this year and bought 18 pair of white stride rites socks that both my 5 and 2yo can wear. Makes life easier.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

I dont have a policy yet but holey socks automatically go. If I notice a nonmated sock laying around for a while I boot it too.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
I dont have a policy yet but holey socks automatically go. If I notice a nonmated sock laying around for a while I boot it too.
Same here. I also pack up extras because my DH has cheetah claw toenails and goes through socks like nothing. I would just pay to replace any. So I keep extra in a box and replace any with holes. I keep out about 15 at a time, which I think is probably too much but we all have different kinds too like work socks dress socks, sport ect.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When my ODS was a baby I started buying all one brand of socks (which was because it was the cheapest brand but....) this has really helped keep things simple. My YDS and ODS's socks are all the same brand just in different sizes. If I need mreo socks I always buy more of the identical socks so that there is never a mix-matched issue.
My boys have about 8-10 pairs of white ankle athletic socks and 1 pair of black dress socks.
My DH has about 20 pair of all identical athletic socks because he has to wear 2 outfits a day. After he gets home from work he is gross so he showers and changes into all new clothes.
I have maybe 3-4 pairs athletic socks and they a few pairs of dress socks.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I read somewhere recently that this lady only buys the gold toe brand socks and just has a different pattern for each family member (to easily identify the size) and then they each have a sock drawer where she tosses that pattern, they mate them when they grab them to wear them... seemed brilliant to me! Already my girls' socks drive me crazy... so many teeny tiny socks! Ack!

DH is crazy (IMO) and has to have four types of socks; black work socks, black dress socks, short white socks (to wear with shorts), long white socks (to wear with pants). I'm trying to get him down to a set of white and a set of black...

For myself I have about 8 pr white ankle socks... but I hate socks so I only wear them when I *have* to, lol.
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

Oh I forgot we have winter socks too.

I think I am going to try to skim it back to 8 pairs, that is half, and put the others away.