Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Kitchen purge panic attack help.

Our kitchen is out of control. On some items we are lacking like only 2 bowls and otehr items we have like 30 salad plates, wt* dude.

So anyway Dh's younger brother got his first place and rather then buy him place settings he will never use as a high school student we are going to give him our eye sore miss matches.

So We went to ikea and got a cheapo simple stonewear 6 person setting with plates, salad plates, bowls and those deep rimmed plates.

I chose these because I wanted a set that you can buy individuals or extras without needing full new sets every time one breaks.

But now I am having a purging panic attack. I know what I want is a streamlined kitchen. Ireally want matching stuff, so many miss matched items are just visual clutter to me.

But I am stuck on keeping some. I bounce between keeping everything in good condition to setting a number like keeping 4 more of what I do have so I have like 10 plates ect. To creating a wishlist of how many more I should buy.

But I know that will still drive me nuts. I think 6 is enough for the 3 of us. I do not want to go buy another set or hang on to unneccesarry items. Having too much just means I will go longer and get backlogged more often.

I guess I just want support or suggestions. Should I keep some or let it all go?

We are a family of 3, do not host hardly ever and when we do it is maybe 2 adults and a child.

And what about cups. What is a fair number.

Help

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kitchen purge panic attack help.

Get rid of it all!!! I think 6-10 cups.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

cups is my next battle. Again nothing matches and it pisses me off. I already got rid of some, but I bounce back and forth on the following.

Juice cups:
I have one partial set with 4
One partial set with 5
and 2 that match (bar style)

Medium cups (not big tumblers)
I have a partial set of 5 (bar style)
and one random one that is similar but a coffee motif and the clash pisses me off
I already pruged a bunch down to 6, I really want 6 matching ones. Maybe I can just find one more bar style one somewhere. BUt I would want to take my cup in and compare and worried they would accuse me of stealing. ha.

Beer glasses:
I have 2 that match
and one oddball
we do not drink beer but the are the biggest cups we have, tempted to just gets some big plastic tumblers instead. Maybe just 2 one for each of us.

Then I have coke cups
2 partial sets of 4

ugh nothing matches!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wait no one thing does match
I have a 6 peice coffee cup, with those plates for under the cups and matching dessert plates that I will keep as that is the big social norm here to serve coffee. They do have ones that match our dishes, but since this is a nice set we already have I figure go with this, unless they break down the line then we will get matching, but these would be used for tea and cake so need not really match dinner dishes.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #4
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I would probably want to buy 2 sets of dishes. You can just ditch it all and try life out with the one set of dishes. If it works for you then great! If you feel like you need more later just grab another set and you will have plenty of matching dishes. I would ditch all the different size glasses. I am not sure what stores are available to you but they have sets of 12 drinking glasses at walmart for $8. They are simple, clear, and inexpensive. Plus they go with everything!

I would keep the set of matching cups, saucers and desert plates.

My problem is the several matching sets that I have....I started to describe them but realized how silly all the sets I have are, they are used but not regularly. Perhaps I should be minimizing the same area you are!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #5
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Let it go mama. I had similar worries, but really, what's the worst that can happen? You have to do dishes more often? You'll love opening your cupboard and seeing a neat clean space!
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
blane,j,&morgansmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I purged a ton of dishes in the past two weeks. But my dh insists on keeping the christmas plates. Why? I dont know.
The kitchen is where I spend a lot of my time, and if you do too, get it nice in there. Get rid of the clutter. The worst thing in a kitchen is the cabinet you have to shove things into, and hurry and shut the door before anything falls out...yes, Ive been there. To me, you have a lot of cups. But Im not really one to speak about cups. I tossed 28 sippys and 12 grown up cups last week.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #7
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Dh has agreed to just get rid of everything and use the 6 person dish set. His one request was to keep a special plate from his childhood in the GDR so we will keep that one.

I was thinking since it is special to him and it has a motif, that rather then use it as dishware maybe I could somehow hang it on the wall?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
booth2490
Registered Users
seller

I ditched mismatched glasses this summer and bought a set of pint sized glasses like are used in restaurants and bars. I already had a few from the thrift store, and they are a plain, classic style. I wanted a style that I can always find news ones to match if some get lost or broken.

(I also have several sets of glasses just for entertaining, which we do often enough to keep them, but the pint glasses are for everyday use and for company)

I see you have already purchased plates, but if anyone else is thinking of doing this, I love corelle plates. I have a pattern, but you can get the plain white, so if you need more or have to replace brokens, they are always available. They also are small and stack compactly. I have the luncheon sized plates, pasta plates and small cereal bowls in white and use them every day.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I wanted corelle, I really like those, but it is not sold over here.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:43 AM   #10
moms5angels
Registered Users
Formerly: moms4angels

My Mood:

we keep enough plates, bowls,silverwhear that will get us through one day. cups we have 4 sippy cups, 4 kids cups & 4 adult cups, 2 mug cups for hot drinks (we waight till its cool b4 we give it too the kids so they use there normall cups), for pots/pans we have 4 pots, 4 pans, (one for each spot on the stove cuz sometimes we do need to use them all)2 frying pans (dont get used as much) 2 cookie backing pans, 2 normall banking pans, & a turky roaster, one mixer & one toaster. i think thats all of it lol hth