Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you ever just thrown things out?

Have you ever just tossed things out because you didn't feel like you had the energy to go through and wash/clean/sell/donate them?

I was reading through the thread about the lady asking for help and someone said to get rid of things, but don't hold on to them to sell if they will never leave your house. This is me. If I hang on to something to sell, it collects in a pile and I never sell it. Same with donations.

Last week I threw out some of DD's old summer clothes simply because I knew that if they didn't leave instantly, they would sit in a pile and collect dust and never leave. Has anyone else ever done this? Am I alone? I know it isn't thrifty, earth-conscious or even helpful, but I am drowning in clutter and need it to just LEAVE.

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Anon-y-mouse
Banned

Re: Have you ever just thrown things out?

I have done a tiny bit of that. I saw piles of stuff that had a huge stain, and I know it was a little small, (say a pile of just-gorwn-out-of clothing that someone spilled coffee on) and I tossed the whole pile. I try not to do that because of the green thing, but yes, I've done it before.

Edited: One of the things I'm good at, is washing it, loading it in a bag, and putting it in the trunk of the car, and then getting it out of the house that way. It may sit in the car for a week before I figure out what to do with it, but at least it's out of the house.
Anon-y-mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:

YES!!! Totally there right now!! It may not be Earth conscious......thats why I donate it. My grocery store has one of those donation bins for charity and I just stuff things in a garbage bag and drop it off. Out of my house and off my conscience!!! Good luck!! I felt bad about it at first but I realized all these things I "could" sell, I wasnt. I just dont have the time and energy to get it cleaned up and boxed up, then go down to the post office and send it off. Too much work!!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
jcgreenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you have freecycle? I know some people have a love/hate relationship with it but I ind that if I post it and someone is asking about it then I feel obligated to give it to them. If the item doesn't go in a day or two it gets donated.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
LinnyLou02
Registered Users
seller

Hate to say I've done it too

I get overwhelmed easily and hate having things just sitting around and collecting dust, so I have just chucked some things. I try my very hardest now not to because of the environment, but I definitely know where you are coming from. For me if I know I won't take the time to sell it, I take it to a consignment/thrift store, and if I don't feel like doing that I just donate it.

Good Luck!
LinnyLou02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
OurAllenBaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am guilty as well. I try to at least give it away before tossing stuff, but there have been times when I am overwhelmed that things just have to GO!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I've done it when I've gotten overwhelmed with kids' clothes. I had a ton of dirty clothes and so just took out the best of them and tossed the rest. I felt a little guilty because they were still good clothes. I just didn't have the time or energy to wash them all.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:14 PM   #8
hezdwoody
Registered Users

I trashed a whole blue storage tote of cloth. MIL gave it to me and it sat in my barn for 2 years. I felt guilty because I know it could have been used but I really didn't know who to give it to that would use it. I felt bad especially since I tossed the storage box and all. I was too lazy to throw the cloth away out of the perfectly good container because I didn't want to wash the container or fill it with anything else! We all have our breaking point!
Old 12-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
jessica377
Registered Users
seller

No, honestly. I also need to get stuff out of the house ASAP, so I put it all in my trunk and that motivates me to stop and donate it.
jessica377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #10
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

no because I live in an apartment so I just put it downstairs with a free sign!

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote