Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

Pediatrician Help Please

We are switching pediatricians because I feel like our current one is not meeting our needs. He seems to blow off all of our concerns with DS. We are meeting with a new pediatrician tomorrow and I need some help with what questions to ask so I know I'm getting a good match with her. We try to do a lot of things all natural and organic to the best of our abilities. I want our pediatrician to not only understand this, but to also be supportive. We also sign with him and the current pediatrician could have cared less. So please help me.

Advertisement

akhwbj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sorry. We do the same thing but our pedestrian doesnt really have anything.to say about.it either. I guess what do you want this dr to do? I guess im not sure what medically you want from a pedestrian. I wouldnt care if they had an opinion on us teaching our child to sign or fed her organically unless they tried to tell me its.wrong.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

Re: Pediatrician Help Please

I guess I was just using that as an example in a way. I feel like he has brushed some of our medical questions of regarding DS. Monday at his 18 month well check-up was really bad. I had a few things I was wanting to talk about concerning DS, and I just felt like he was sticking to his check list and not worried or helpful with my issues.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhwbj1
I guess I was just using that as an example in a way. I feel like he has brushed some of our medical questions of regarding DS. Monday at his 18 month well check-up was really bad. I had a few things I was wanting to talk about concerning DS, and I just felt like he was sticking to his check list and not worried or helpful with my issues.
That's a little different. I guess i would list.the things you didn't like medically.speaking and them.derive questions.from.that. our pediatrians office is very busy so sometimes i will call before my wellness checkup and explain i have specific concerns and questions and would like to make sure that there will he enough time to address them.

Im also very upfront on things i believe in. We dont use antibiotics unless there are no other options. We dont do any meats the first year. We do our vaccinations on a slower and later schedule than most parents. So i would make sure they are ok with that decision.
ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

That's not ok - your ped should not be brushing off your concerns about your son. Obviously your needs aren't being met, having a good relationship with your ped is very important IMO. When we interviewed ours, we just asked about things we are passionate about. We asked how she felt about natural birth, breastfeeding, non circing, delaying solisa, delaying vax, ect. Our ped was very thorough with each issue, you could tell she was knowledgable on each subject, and even the ones where our opinions didn't match (she's pro vax, we don't vax) she was very understanding and supportive. Besides that, aask their avaliability (nights/weekends/emergencies) how often they like to see the kids, ect.
GL mama!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
akhwbj1
Registered Users
seller

I am just worried that I am going to make the wrong choice again. I do not want to be going through this again anytime soon. I loved our ped in the beginning, but something has changed and it is not the same. It has been this way the last 3 times we have went in. I thought the first time he was having a bad day so I gave him 2 more chances, and nothing changed. So it is time for us to find a new ped.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

What do you want from a pediatrician? I would answer that question for yourself and then go from there.

I would ask about how they make sure that parents have time to ask questions during appointments. Do they prefer a separate appointment or can you request an extended appointment to make time for questions? Do they have a nurse line that you can call with questions in between appointments?

I wouldn't worry about the doctor having no opinion on teaching sign to your child. It's neither a medical nor a developmental issue. As such, I wouldn't expect my pediatrician to have any input. I try to separate medical from parenting concerns. One is something I discuss with our pediatrician. The other I might bring up to see if he has any good ideas (after all, he's been taking care of children for a long time), but I don't worry if his suggestions or input doesn't jive with our parenting. So long as we are receiving excellent medical care for our children, I don't care whether he CIO with his kids or whther he is a strict vegan, etc.