Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #1
SelenaJean
Registered Users

Not sure what to try next det wise.

I've been CDing over a year now and have never found the perfect detergent for washing my diapers. My stash was half microfiber when I started out and after a few months I fazed those out as they always smelled. I have a top loader reg washing machine and have tried Planet, Rockin Green, biokleen powder and Tide. The planet and rng never worked and rng makes my diapers smell worse even if I've stripped before switching. Biokleen worked ok and so has tide(I think the original worked better than the ultra). My diapers smell clean out of the wash but when I open the dryer and they are hot they smell yucky and kind of like a faint poo smell. I run a short cold cycle to rinse, a long hot cycle with extra soak with det. and another full hot cycle to rinse. So they are getting rinsed before and after plenty. I've also tried bac-out in the first cycle, and adding washing soda and oxiclean with the det wash. Today I tried using the full amount of powder tide to the 3 line as a last ditch effort. Still smells funky in the dryer though(when they cool off they don't smell and they do not smell like ammonia when peed in). I'm at a loss of what to do or try next! My stash is all cotton, mostly bg elementals, prefolds and flats. Also I've been told that our city may have slightly hard water but still in the normal range. My det suds up and I have to do alot of rinses if I use a lot of det though. Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
plumpkin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not sure what to try next det wise.

Try a short warm cycle for your first rinse because warm is better at thoroughly getting urine and poop out. Then try Gain. I have a TL and hard water and use these amounts for haed water: line 2 for med.; line 3 for large. I also add about a tb to the 1st rinse. It very rinses clean and theres no funky smell after dried. I used Tide in the past and it worked fine but I feel Gain cleans and rinses better. My routine is exactly the same as yours but I add the extra detergent in the first short wash and use warm water for that and it works great. HTH

Last edited by plumpkin; 12-07-2011 at 11:34 PM.
plumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
OneDayAtATime
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Don't be afraid to add a little bleach! It has always solved any stink issues I've had.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 12-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #4
SelenaJean
Registered Users

Do you use liquid or powder gain? I'll try doing a warm rinse first too. Will bleach hurt my AIOs? How much do I use? I do not use bleach on my regular laundry so I do not have much experience with it.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad you posted! I will be trying this with gain! I do the exact same cycles as you and sometimes I open the wash and they smell clean and then other times they don't. So frustrating!

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would add some bleach. I use a few capfuls. No it will not hurt anything at all.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #7
faiths13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i would use a stronger detergent that what you have used. most "natural" detergents just dont do the job when it comes to diapers. i have been using country save for a year and love it. i use a full scoop though - sometimes you just need a lot of detergent. if your diapers smell like poop in the dryer, they arent clean.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
DrusL8y
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Beth, I'm just a-following you around today!

I, too, use Country Save and love it! I get it from Amazon's subscribe & save. Depending on the week we're having, I use either an almost full scoop or a couple tablespoons. But usually, I use 2-3 tablespoons. Country Save is great because it has a baking soda in it and it's great for all water types! Other detergents can't boast about that! I know it's not mentioned much but using too much "stuff" can give waste molecules something to cling to. So I would first try a squirt or 2 of dawn in my wash to strip. Then I would start a new routine using less detergent and max water level washes. Another thing is, if you're washing too much in there, that could prevent diapers from getting cleaned and water draining properly.

Have you soaked them with Bac-Out in the water? I love Bac-Out and I can't imagine after a good soak, you still getting the stinkies.
DrusL8y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

If they don't smell clean when washing, add more detergent .... It shouldn't be this complicated for anyone, I'll never understand it!

I rinse poop diapers well before the pail. I wash on warm with tiny bubbles, I do a second rinse, and dry. Yes I have hard water. I have done this for 3 years, no issues.
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:56 PM   #10
madiganandpupsmom
Registered Users
seller

hmm, country save. I will have to try it again. It never worked for me but maybe i didnt' use enough. I really want to use some thing more "natural". Tide is just too harsh on my dipes! do you use bleach with the CS or just plain ol' CS really gets things clean enough?
madiganandpupsmom is offline   Reply With Quote