Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Minimalist Cleaning!

SICK and TIRED of STUFF! It's wonderful that DS has developed a forum for people who don't want to waste life taking care of/organizing/arranging/cleaning stuff!

I've gotten to the point where I don't even go into stores unless grocery shopping (and I prefer a co-op for that, but they're too expensive around here in dh's opinion). It's overwhelming. You walk in and are immediately bombarded with products that you do NOT need...which brings me to the point of cleaning.

How do you stay simple w/ your cleaning supplies?

I use baking soda/lemon juice paste for the bathtub (works wonders on oil soap residue), and a condensed natural cleaner I mix in a spray bottle with a bit of eucalyptus oil for multipurpose cleaning (kitchen counters, table, rug spills, sinks, outside of toilets). For floors/dusting I use a condensed natural enzyme cleaner. For sanitizing white vinegar and/or hydrogen peroxide

Under my sink you see a pumice stone, baking soda, 2 bottles of condensed cleaners, a tub of vinegar, and a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide (lemon juice stays in fridge). I just use rags to clean with.

Advertisement

Old 12-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Minimalist Cleaning!

I feel ya mama, I actually can't stand whole foods for exactly this reason, it is so overwhelming, and honestly it is so NOT green to market all those unnecessary products to people!

We use vinegar/water for just about everything from surfaces to spills, bathroom, kitchen, you name it. We use baking soda for toilets and tubs. We use baby mild dr bronners for hand soap/dish soap/body wash/DHs shampoo (lol). We use rags and microfiber cloths for dusting. We make our own laundry soap and dishwashing detergent and use a bac-out/water solution for stain treatment... that's it. We love it
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

My friend makes a kind of soap that we use for cleaning everything. Aside from the bathroom, DH will not give up his bathroom cleaners. I use vingear in the kitchen.

This is my friends soap. I use it for just about everything.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgkcb13 View Post
I feel ya mama, I actually can't stand whole foods for exactly this reason, it is so overwhelming, and honestly it is so NOT green to market all those unnecessary products to people!

We use vinegar/water for just about everything from surfaces to spills, bathroom, kitchen, you name it. We use baking soda for toilets and tubs. We use baby mild dr bronners for hand soap/dish soap/body wash/DHs shampoo (lol). We use rags and microfiber cloths for dusting. We make our own laundry soap and dishwashing detergent and use a bac-out/water solution for stain treatment... that's it. We love it
This EXCEPT for the bolded (we don't make our dish soap....yet and I don't usually use stain stuff but when I do I use shout since I still have some hanging around from forever ago)

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
chimichanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Miracle II for just about everything. Bathing the kids, shower gel for me, brushing my teeth, washing my hair, mopping the floors, doing the dishes, etc. (though I do still have some left over Mrs. Meyers from last Christmas, and some bioKleen for laundry)
Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimichanga View Post
I use Miracle II for just about everything. Bathing the kids, shower gel for me, brushing my teeth, washing my hair, mopping the floors, doing the dishes, etc. (though I do still have some left over Mrs. Meyers from last Christmas, and some bioKleen for laundry)
Hmm, I'm going to look into this when I run out of my current stuff!
Old 12-08-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
I use vinegar & water with essential oil for scent for most cleaning. I have a Bissell steam & sweep for mopping. I have Flylady's purple rags for cleaning windows, mirrors & televisions instead of Windex type stuff. I am not green with dish soap. Sorry, must be blue Dawn or it doesn't work. I had such terrible residue from other types. As for toilet cleaner, I squirt some diluted Dr Bronners (from the sink foamer soap pump) most days I swish the toilet. I do use Lysol toilet cleaner once a week or so. I have 2 diabetics using those toilets & they don't always flush so it gets gross fast.
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
greenMImama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I use Norwex and it has really minimalized my cleaning, a LOT.

240/2014
greenMImama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
jemilyon
Registered Users
seller
seller

good food for thought, ladies!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
mookie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenMImama View Post
I use Norwex and it has really minimalized my cleaning, a LOT.
mookie is offline   Reply With Quote