Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Reduce catagories or reduce items (toys)?

So I am getting ready to work with my girls on their room- they share and it is FULL of toys- they play with the different things they do have regularly, everything has a "bin", but all the bins are FULL.

For example they have a bin (like shoe box sized or the big cubes that fit in Ikea shelves) of each of these:

* Polly Pockets
* Littlest Pet Shop
* Barbies
* Playmobil
* My Little Pony
* Snap and Style Dolls
* Zhu Zhu Pets
* Osthiemer Figures and wooden blocks
* Baby doll and 18 inch doll clothing and accessories

Would you reduce the amounts of items (say instead of the 25 plus barbies, thanks to a friend who had given them an entire bucket FULL- we've already reduced it by 1/2, keep 5 each?)... OR just decide we aren't going to have "X" in our home any more?

I am downsizing their wardrobes, to make that more manageable (went through the 3 year old's drawers today).

They are both very attached to "things/treasures" - but my oldest is willing to get rid of some things if she can get money for them.

Have to get it under control before Christmas!

I have already decided to sell the duplo collection since the 3 year old is getting her own box of little legos for Christmas (she plays with her siblings legos much more than the duplos)

MUST GAIN CONTROL!

Advertisement

Last edited by weareborgswife; 12-08-2011 at 05:29 PM.
weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Reduce catagories or reduce items (toys)?

I would rather have a lot of a few things than a few of a lot of things, if that makes sense. For example, Polly pocket and all her stuff is more fun than one barbie and one my little pony and one littlest pet shop.
However, here is a really good shelf at Target that has cloth bins that goes in it. You could put 9 different things, and it holds a good amount.

http://www.target.com/p/Circo-9-Cube...r/-/A-12193101

Last edited by annb; 12-08-2011 at 05:07 PM.
annb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have Expedit shelves from Ikea with bins as well as the plastic bin holder shelf (like the cloth one only plastic).

So we have lots of storage and it all is organized IF they put it away.

Last edited by weareborgswife; 12-08-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
annb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Anyway, I have the same kind of issues here as you do. I know I want to keep Barbies, Polly Pocket, and My Little Pony. My girls claim to like ZhuZhus, but never play with them. We only have a few Littlest Pet Shop. My daughter liked the In My Pockets better, but I don't even see them at the stores anymore.
I just wish that there was a set number of what you should keep of everything...this many games, this many DVD's, this many books, etc.

Last edited by annb; 12-08-2011 at 05:25 PM.
annb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annb View Post
I just wish that there was a set number of what you should keep of everything...this many games, this many DVD's, this many books, etc.

Agree!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
babykp08
Registered Users
seller

I try to think of the purpose of the toy or item. Is it building, house-play, dress-up, imaginative play, crafting, educational etc. Then I reduce within each category. For example, for building I purged some blocks and duplos, but kept our good wooden blocks and the lincoln logs. The costumes were minimized, but I kept favorites and more open-ended items which can be used in a variety of ways. We had a ton of cars and figurines for imaginative play, so I cleared out quite a few and kept the little people for the babies, the Ryan's room & plan toys people which go with the doll house, and some GI Joes & our quality wooden cars. So I guess what I'm saying is evaluate the purpose of each toy and then reduce the quantity of toys that serve the same purpose. That way your kids will have a collection of toys which serves diverse purposes, but does not overtake your home. Does that make sense?
babykp08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #7
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes- that makes perfect sense- now to get my girls to "buy in" !