Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #1
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

Basement- help!

We have donated so much stuff in the past few months while we convert our guest room/ office to a bedroom for our new baby on the way. The problem is that a good portion of our stuff also ended up in the basement. I need to purge more- please help!

1) I donated 4 boxes of books but we still have 2.5 bookshelves full. Should I be keeping my old college textbooks? (I'm a nurse). What about non-fiction and such? I'm having a hard time parting with them because I don't know if I'll regret it later.

2) I have 2-3 bins of cardmaking supplies/ scrapbooking supplies that I have not touched in 4 years. With young children I don't know when I'll have time again. Should I try to sell these and if so where? I spent quite a bit of money on these supplies and might keep some of the stamps for my dd, so I would prefer to sell vs. donate.

3) We have many, many bins of girl baby clothes that we'll never use again (we're only having 2 children and expecting a boy this time). Should I give them to my sister who might have more kids? That would free up a lot of space...

Thanks for your help!

Advertisement

Last edited by Lisa921; 12-09-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: subbing
Lisa921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
MilesSmiles
Registered Users
seller

Re: Basement- help!

I have all my nursing text in the basement too! I'm going to get rid of them the next time I purge--I've never once looked at them in the six years I've been a nurse--that's what google is for!
MilesSmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa921 View Post
We have donated so much stuff in the past few months while we convert our guest room/ office to a bedroom for our new baby on the way. The problem is that a good portion of our stuff also ended up in the basement. I need to purge more- please help!

1) I donated 4 boxes of books but we still have 2.5 bookshelves full. Should I be keeping my old college textbooks? (I'm a nurse). What about non-fiction and such? I'm having a hard time parting with them because I don't know if I'll regret it later. I would get rid of old textbooks and get down to 1 bookshelf or less

2) I have 2-3 bins of cardmaking supplies/ scrapbooking supplies that I have not touched in 4 years. With young children I don't know when I'll have time again. Should I try to sell these and if so where? I spent quite a bit of money on these supplies and might keep some of the stamps for my dd, so I would prefer to sell vs. donate. sell it at a garage sale maybe? or a big lot on craigslist? I would donate but I'm not having luck selling so that's why

3) We have many, many bins of girl baby clothes that we'll never use again (we're only having 2 children and expecting a boy this time). Should I give them to my sister who might have more kids? That would free up a lot of space... if your sister wants them then give them to her. or consign them

Thanks for your help!
HTH

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #4
PinkLemonade7503
Registered Users
seller

I would ditch the textbooks. If there is a general one you think might make a good reference (we have some of dh's med school emergency first aid stuff) save that, and if there is anything specific to your field, maybe save that. I know things change a lot, and a lot of people use websites or apps.

I have sold scrap booking stuff before, with much success. Look through it and gat rid of stuff you know you din't want. You don't have to get rid of all of it, but maybe get down one less bin, or so.

If you are sure about no more babies, then definitely let that stuff go. Either give it to a friend or family member (along with permission to give away what they don't want) or considering putting some if the nicer things in to lots and sell it. You could get some extra cash for babies room.

Generally when I am not sure about getting rid of something, I get rid of some of it. I al,ost always come back and get rid if the rest later, but it is less pressure that way. If you got rid of half of each of the things you mentioned you would have made much more space, but without the overall stress of getting rid of things you might need.
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #5
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

Thanks everyone! I come from a long line of "keep it in case you or your children might possibly need it some day", so I have the inclination to hold into things that I know I should probably get rid of
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #6
Lisa921
Registered Users
seller

I just found out that a lot of textbooks are available on Nook so I might just sell most of the paper ones knowing that I can repurchase that way if I really need them.