Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-09-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
Tamee
Registered Users

bad rash + PF vs. pocket diapers, AIO's & 2's

my baby developed a horrible rash a few weeks of life using the prefolds and covers, so I've got her in disposables for right now. I've just now discovered pocket diapers, AIO's and AI2's. I'm thinking about buying some, but I don't know which ones I should get. I really want this rash to go

Advertisement

Tamee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
mama_2_two
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: bad rash + PF vs. pocket diapers, AIO's & 2's

I found that my dd got a rash if I didn't change her often enough. At first it took a while to get used to how often you need to with cloth. I have also noticed recently that she has had a rash off and on. At first I thought it was from Oxyclean but now after some trial and error I think it's from Sun detergent. So, it could be the detergent you're using too...
mama_2_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think newborns get rashes pretty easily - they poop so much and their skin is so new and sensitive. Ethan had rashes on and off for at least 2 months and now he's fine. I'mnot sure if it was the diaper itself or the things that I said before. Is the baby fine now in disposables?
Old 06-09-2006, 02:11 PM   #4
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

I normally put my dd in pf's when she has a rash cause they seem to help. I tend to avoid pockets and AIO's when dd has a rash. Are you using pul covers? If so, maybe you should try some wool to let you baby's skin breath. Lanolin and air time cure my dd's rash in a few hours normally. Did the rash go away in the sposies, if not could it be a yeast rash? What about wipes, are you using cloth or disposable? Disposable wipes can make diaper rash worse, so you could try using a wash cloth with only water. Hope some thing works and congrats on the new baby.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
massage mama
Registered Users

funny I'm doing the opposite using PFs to get rid of the rash instead of my FBs. I think my rash on DS is food related I think it is wheat. So maybe it is not the dipes but something else but rule out detergent first is the rash allover or just in certain spots. Also rule out yeast rash check with Doc if it doesn't go away in a few days. Let the little bum have some diaper free time that helped us and we switched to PFs and wool covers to let him breath at night and naps. Only use PUL covers when we leave the house.
T
massage mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Since prefolds don't have the synthetic fabrics like fleece, I can't imagine what the problem would be. Sposies couldn't possibly make it any better either. I would do what the others have suggested and change more often. Also, make sure you don't have detergent buildup. And just use prefolds without covers for awhile. This will really air out the bum.
SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #7
LilHippyMamma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the best thing to do during the rash is let the baby air out as much as possible. Try putting some baking soda on there it makes it go away really fast!

My son got them off an on when he was younger in cloth too but it was just a normal thing.. they get them. But he got them much worse in disposables then he would cloth
Old 06-10-2006, 06:43 AM   #8
Tamee
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_2_two
I found that my dd got a rash if I didn't change her often enough. At first it took a while to get used to how often you need to with cloth. I have also noticed recently that she has had a rash off and on. At first I thought it was from Oxyclean but now after some trial and error I think it's from Sun detergent. So, it could be the detergent you're using too...
I'm using Purex? Someone else suggested I just use vinegar and baking soda, which I might do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelolsen-and-Padawan
I think newborns get rashes pretty easily - they poop so much and their skin is so new and sensitive. Ethan had rashes on and off for at least 2 months and now he's fine. I'mnot sure if it was the diaper itself or the things that I said before. Is the baby fine now in disposables?
yeah but this rash is really bad and has been there for over a week, maybe two (I don't know)...? once the rash got so bad I put her in disposables and have kept her in them the whole time. maybe that's the problem? but it's gotten better, just not completely better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9800Emily
I normally put my dd in pf's when she has a rash cause they seem to help. I tend to avoid pockets and AIO's when dd has a rash. Are you using pul covers? If so, maybe you should try some wool to let you baby's skin breath. Lanolin and air time cure my dd's rash in a few hours normally. Did the rash go away in the sposies, if not could it be a yeast rash? What about wipes, are you using cloth or disposable? Disposable wipes can make diaper rash worse, so you could try using a wash cloth with only water. Hope some thing works and congrats on the new baby.
I was thinking maybe it's a yeast rash. What does that mean in relation to how I should treat it? or should I take her to the doctor? I was thinking maybe cloth wipes and only water was what may have caused the rash, but I don't know. I'll try going back to cloth wipes and prefolds. I don't have any lanolin or wool covers, but maybe I'll try to get some. I don't have or make much money (1.50 an hour for babysitting my little brother) and the money I do have is going quick. I think I only have under $200 left in my savings eek!
Quote:
Originally Posted by massage mama
funny I'm doing the opposite using PFs to get rid of the rash instead of my FBs. I think my rash on DS is food related I think it is wheat. So maybe it is not the dipes but something else but rule out detergent first is the rash allover or just in certain spots. Also rule out yeast rash check with Doc if it doesn't go away in a few days. Let the little bum have some diaper free time that helped us and we switched to PFs and wool covers to let him breath at night and naps. Only use PUL covers when we leave the house.
the rash is all over her butt, but not anywhere else on her body, if that's what you mean. it's on her butt and a little on her thighs and crotch. I've been letting her go naked a few hours after we wake up and a few hours before we go to bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveblessings
Since prefolds don't have the synthetic fabrics like fleece, I can't imagine what the problem would be. Sposies couldn't possibly make it any better either. I would do what the others have suggested and change more often. Also, make sure you don't have detergent buildup. And just use prefolds without covers for awhile. This will really air out the bum.
my mom and her friend were the ones who suggested changing to disposables and wipes for awhile. they don't know anything about cloth diapering, though. no one in my family does. how do I know if I have detergent build-up?

Last edited by Tamee; 06-10-2006 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM   #9
massage mama
Registered Users

Certain laundry soaps have aded agents in them to brighten and whiten but unfortunately they eat away at the babes bottom like enzymes and brightners. So you need to avoid those kinds of soaps the ones with enzymes especialy because once the baby pees the enzymes form the soap are engaged and go to work at breaking down the pee and poo and also starts eating away at the skin causing nasty rashes. So switch to something else if your soaps have this. And only use very little saop when washing the diapers like 1/10 of the amount is what I use with vinegar in the downy ball to rinse the extra soap out in the rinse water.
T
massage mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Tamee
Registered Users

well I just found out she has thrush. go figure. :P