Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #1
klamb528
Registered Users
seller

Used washer dryer opinions!!!

So we are about to move into a new rental home. They have included their own top loader washer dryer, I haven't seen the condition yet but they say they're good condition. We have our own front loading washer and dryer LG we used when cding my son but the dryer is gas and this house only has electric hook up. :/
So...what would you ladies do?
1) use the w/d comes with house and sanitize---if so how do I do this? I want to remove all possible build up before I wash my diapers in it! This would also mean selling our front loaders.
2) keep just my washer and try to sell my dryer alone. This way least I dont worry about build up. But then you have the top vs front loader debate and I don't know which is better for cd. May also be harder to just sell part of my set..
3) dont use either of theirs and try to sell our dryer in order to buy one of our own electric....

So mamas what would you do?
Top vs front loader?
Your own vs used?
Sell vs keep?
Lol I'm so lost!

Thanks!

Advertisement

klamb528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Used washer dryer opinions!!!

My wife and I always wanted a TL just for the diapers; as much as our FL works great and it's efficient but people seem to prefer TL for cloth diapers (but with their own TL/FL argument of course). Probably in the future we'll add TL if we have more kids

Is there even a possibility to keep both washers? In either case if you go with TL, I would just strip the washer with non-residue detergent like Sport-Wash or if you have soft water run few cycles empty with hot water and a cup of vinegar. It'll probably take few cycles before it rinses clean without sudsing. Most CD-friendly detergents should also help with stripping with the same method but depending on the amount of build-ups in the washing machine it may take two cycles or eight.

I guess depending on the condition of the TL/dryer I'd personally consider keeping both and try to keep your current if possible especially if it's newer.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #3
klamb528
Registered Users
seller

The FL we own are pretty new yes just 2.5 yrs old. My only thing was do we want to store the gas dryer for 3 yrs? Ten makin it like 6 yrs old and not even knowing if next house we be able to use it also. I'm not sure yet space wise if two washers would fit in the room they're in. I could look and consider that though I suppose. I also don't know yet if it's hard or soft water....

Thanks for the help though in terms of sanitizing theirs I guess we just run a few cycles empty with detergent? I use rockin green on my diapers. And all free and clear on clothes usually. Although I should prob just use RG on everything while cding....
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would keep my washer and use their dryer. You already know your washer and a good routine. I persionally would hate to start from scratch. I did love my tl'er. But to be honest here. I adore my sam!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #5
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

To sanatise. Get some of the tide washing mashine cleaner and use as directed. It will remove any buildup. Then run a sanatise/hot cyle with bleach. Then leave the door open to air dry. You should be good to go. I would sell the dryer, just because of not knowing if the next house would even have gas hookup or not. KWIM? The dryer can just be piped out with bleach then venigar after it is fry. Or wet a towel with both bleach and water and run it through to dry. HTH with whatever you do!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
samwise
Registered Users

My Mood:

Would you have to store the rentals washer/dryer to put back when you moved? Or I'm guessing you would have to leave your washer there as a replacement when you moved, if you switched them out? I would test them out first if you can. If they work good then sell your set.

When we moved into our rental. I just washed a few loads of clothes before the diapers with a little bleach on the whites and wiped out the dryer. I don't think you have to be too worried about build up.
samwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #7
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The last place we rented had a w/d and so did we. I wanted to use ours, so we moved the rental ones into strategic corners in the living room, covered with solid color sheets, and used like shelves...not ideal but we were only going to be there a year. We just moved them back into place when we moved out.
I'd probably sell your dryer though, if you don't know when/if/ever you will have gas hook ups for a dryer again.
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
klamb528
Registered Users
seller

They said they'd remove them if we wanted or can store in the garage. but ya were military so idk if next place would have gas or not well be there for 3 yrs til another move though. I guess I'll see how theirs are and prob plan to say bye to my set if theirs are decent. I'll miss them but guess means money in our pockets for other baby things thanks for your help!