Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
purpledayz
Registered Users

Re: Severe Reflux

It took awhile for us to get allergy testing done on DS but apparently it didn't matter anyway since he shows up nonreactive to everything. We are pretty sure he has multiple food protein sensitivity or intolerance.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/931548-clinical

He can't eat dairy, gluten, soy, peanuts, or red dye. We've been mostly avoiding eggs as well since he did react to those once when he ate them straight up. When he gets a food he shouldn't have even in the tiniest quantities he starts screaming round the clock, gets rashes on his booty, doesn't eat anything other then formula and that is in mass since he is pooping it out every 2 hours. It takes exactly two weeks for him to return to normal after a bad food exposure.

He was on reflux meds when he was under 9 months and they helped a bit with the spit up but not completely. Each time we removed another trigger from his diet he improved drastically.
Before removing dairy we had to sit down with at least 3 burp cloths/receiving blankets. After cutting dairy we were down to one burp cloth.
After cutting wheat we went to no burp cloths.
After cutting soy he stopped screaming all the time and started sleeping for the first time. The first time he slept 3 hours straight I woke up 3 times to check if he was still breathing. Before removing soy he would drink 6oz bottles every 2-3 hours around the clock and refuse almost all table food. In less then a week on a whey based formula he started eating table food and drinking bottles less often. He even leaves a couple of ounces in a bottle and runs off to play.

Good luck with your diagnosis!

Advertisement

Last edited by purpledayz; 12-12-2011 at 09:01 AM.
purpledayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have already been diagnosed with severe reflux.
she is 13 mo. is a 100% bf baby (no bottles of formula) i can get her to sip almond milk and she will drink water. i cant get her to eat much of anything. (goldfish and cherrios and apples and nursing are her main source of food)
She has always been a very frequent 5 min nurser.
The waking at night and screaming is new. Again we havent been to the GI in 2.5-3 months due to our insurance suddenly changing. This is just so hard. I am going to try removing things from her diet. Hopefully that will help
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
pcjs
Registered Users

Try some mylicon directly even though she will be mad at you before bed and when the screaming at night happen. We had the night screaming regularly. It would go in spurts for weeks, then get better then come again (and its exhausting). I'd do mylicon, pat the back or do bike legs if he'd let me and then a sippy (or for you breastfeed). That is what we did. It could take 1/2 hour or more for the screaming to stop. Maybe you should look at your diet instead and cut out all the things on the reflux list. Just keep trying with the food. Offer variety and the staples as snacks/back up. Hopefully it will get better. Ours did at about 18 months and at 2 its better but now we have a super picky eater.

If the weight is ever an issue, I'd try to supplement with toddler formula vs. using water. We do very little water as we want the calories. (otherwise she's probably fine if you are nursing and I wouldn't stop till 2/when you know you are in the clear).

We were told at age 1 if it didn't get better/off meds (it did enough where we didn't really follow up as we could handle it), they'd have to do a scope.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:45 PM   #14
AshleyLD
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

i actually asked them to scope her because i just want answers. They refused because shes gaining weight on the curve. shes 21 lbs and 29.5 inches tall at 13 months.. (right at 50th%ile for both)

I have been researching a lot and my coffee drinking probably has a lot to do with it.. which has gone up with the recent awful nights.. and i need to go get gas drops!

thank you so much!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #15
pcjs
Registered Users

CVS has the dye free Mylicon that is a bit more $$$ but I prefer the no dye. That's strange that they will not scope her if she is in that much pain/not eating. Maybe its a good thing you have to switch GI's. My son gained wait but was always on the very low end till recently (he's had a huge jump). That shouldn't be the only factor as it just means you have good breast milk.

Hang in there with the night stuff. We found it went in spurts. It would happen for a few weeks/we'd hit exhaustion and then it would stop for a while.