Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

Is there a list?

Of stuff to keep/save/etc?
I feel silly asking as everyone will be different but I just need like a checklist of crap to weed through. Like for instance, I went through my cookbooks tonight, only one of them I'd feel comfortable getting rid of, but the others I havent used in ages either! I am trying to get the whole house done before January 23rd, when I go back to school. yikes. i just feel like my life is in a constant state of chaos and I am searching for clarity! I need less stuff all around me, and the stuff that I do have needs a home! badly!

Advertisement

Last edited by mom2ally06; 12-11-2011 at 11:28 PM.
mom2ally06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:23 AM   #2
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.
Re: Is there a list?

I would love a list. I love lists.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 AM   #3
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

If a list is what will motivate you then go for it, but it seems like an extra step. Cut out that middle man. Start with one area and just pack a box of anything that you haven't used in the last 6 months and doesn't have sentimental value. Look at your new clean, organized, clutter free space. Ooh and aah, then get that box out of your house! But again, if you need a list, sit down and write it out. Then immediately go get a box...
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Maybe go through the cook books and put your favourite recipes on cue cards? I mainly just use google, it doesn't take up any space.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
percussionsmith
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you should make a list of the things that you think are top priorities and go from there. Also check out some of the minimalist blogs. Here's a good one http://www.becomingminimalist.com/

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Here is my list. Only keep stuff that you have used in the last 30 days. With the exception of some seasonal items such as beach or camping stuff, this is a good way to only keep what you need. Only keep those cookbooks that you use all the time. Otherwise, use the Internet for recipes. The 30 day rule is harsh, but good.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
SageR
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that every list is going to look different. People need different things depending on their work and lifestyles. In general though, I think limitingyour possessions to useful things is a good place to start. We have very little that doesn't get used every week if not every day.

But even within that group you can have things that, ultimately, you don't actually need or use. What I do is similar to pp - I have a box going all of the time and whenever I am in that "place" of feeling like there is too much stuff I put things no one has used in awhile in the box. It sits in my closet until it is full. When I cannot cram anything else into to I try to remember what I put in. If I can't remember I take the whole thing to Goodwill. If I can remember, and there is anything I am not sure I want to pass on, I take that out and donate the rest. That rarely happens, though. I have a box ready to go in my trunk right now and I have no idea what is in in!

I do have cookbooks (and lots of other books too - out book collection is not particularly minimalist!) but only ones that I really love - I might not use a tons of recipes from them but they are the types that are good reading in themselves. If you don't want to keep any at all then the internet is a great resource, and libraries often have great cookbooks you can check out for inspiration and ideas.
SageR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:49 AM   #8
Silver)O(Moon
formerly 4boysMomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnsmom View Post
Here is my list. Only keep stuff that you have used in the last 30 days. With the exception of some seasonal items such as beach or camping stuff, this is a good way to only keep what you need. Only keep those cookbooks that you use all the time. Otherwise, use the Internet for recipes. The 30 day rule is harsh, but good.
I agree. The year rule makes it too easy for me to stay cluttered.

My list is made up of questions that I ask myself, like:

Does this item's usefulness justify the space it takes?

Does it fit in with the philosophy and current goals I have for my family?

Can I borrow one if need it?

Is there something smaller or simpler that can do the same job?

Does it get in the way of me enjoying my life, my home, my kids, etc?

Is it expensive and/or difficult to replace?
And wife to my amazing DH who supports me in all I do!
Silver)O(Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have seen lists that people have posted. A certain # of this and a certain # of that. Don't know where it is at the moment though.
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

I would love to see a list like you mention pp with suggested quanitities.