Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Mummandherboys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Your Favorite Wool Longies...that are a bit less $$??

Hello!

I was doing some searching on here to find some ideas and answers to this question, but coudn't find a similiar thread...so I thought I would just start one!
We are long-time wool lovers and users...but are new to longies. I have gotten a couple on trades and would love to find a few more for 2 of my boys in dipes. There seem to be so many knit/yarns styles/types/prices... can you tell me what the differences are?? I know that some are probably much softer and nicer... which are your favorites? We love interlock already...but are new to interlock longies... again, your favorites?
I would LOVE to know some that are still great quality (less pilliness, soft, not scratchy/etc...) but that are a little less money...is that possible?? I am amazed how much these things go for...and wonder how people do it with mulitple kiddos and a tighter budget!!...

Any ideas and thoughts would be so helpful! Thanks Mamas!!

Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
hibiscus869
Registered Users

My favorite and least expensive wool longies that I have are from Chickadee and Me on Etsy. She makes them from upcycled sweaters and they are very cute. She will sew in a booster for you if you want and will send them lanolized (love that). As wool goes they are pretty affordable and they are actually the lowest maintenance of all my wool- they never get fuzzy, they wash and dry really easily, and they are great for night or day.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Your Favorite Wool Longies...that are a bit less $$??

My "one that got away" is Bumby. Their play woolies are reasonably priced, & if you catch a co-op, they're 20% off, so a really good price. And there's a co-op scheduled for Jan . But I'm pretty sure DD is moving toward PTing, so I don't have an excuse to buy them ...Boo!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For knit longies, I like Kozy Designs from Ebay.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #5
noranuks
Registered Users

I love recycled wool for affordability, function, and cute factor! You can check out my shop, or even just search "recycled wool longies" on Etsy or Artfire. There's so much fun stuff out there!

** Soakers, wool changing pads, legging style longies, holiday longies and NEW cargo style longies! Use coupon code dsmama for free shipping!! Happy Holidays!
noranuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

LOVE the ones we have from Jenn Cat's Meow. My son is in a pair right now. She does upcycled and we have a couple pairs, as well as a pair of crocheted longies which my son wore home from the hospital. She is amazing to work with and everything is well made and adorable. I have picked sweaters off her site for plain longies and she's also made us a full custom set (longies, shirt with embroidery, little baby wool beanie, and matching diaper) that we just got and even my husband thinks is the cutest thing he has ever seen.

She is on Hyena Cart or you can google Jenn Cat's Meow.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
moonlitmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have to agree that recycled is the way to go if you're looking for cheaper. Yarn is expensive and knitting takes time - knitting WAHMs don't make all that much of a profit.
For recycled, I love OweWhoaWhen, Kangadu, and WoollyBottoms.
moonlitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
kaceyk
Registered Users
seller

I love my Twee Baby longies, but the owner moved this fall (I think) and hasn't had any for sale for a while....
kaceyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
Lammy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For hand knit longies/shorties I love Little Knit Knacks and for interlock I really love Woollybottoms!
Lammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:44 PM   #10
hcokasil
Registered Users
seller
seller

i agree, recycled is the way to go if you want to save $$. The problem is, it can be hit or miss, even among the same seller as to how well your wool is going to hold up because what they make is based on the sweaters (or whatever they're recycling) they have in stock, so you may get a pair you love for their durability and one that pills horribly after the first wearing from the same seller. However, i have found that recycled generally holds up pretty well because it is felted first and that kind of cuts down on pills.

i used to think people were insane for spending so much on knit longies, so i started to knit them and then i totally GOT it! Good yarn is pricey and it takes a lot of work to make them...that being said you can still find pretty good deals on FSOT especially if you buy in play condition and "clean" them up yourself. a good shave will do wonders to a pair of knit longies!
As far as cheap yarn, there is pattons, cascade and purewool. If you can find longies made on these, chances are they'll be less expensive. i don't like pattons or cascade becuase they pill horribly (though i know some people really do like them) and they're not super soft...Purewool is super soft, but can also be hit and miss on pillyness. As a general rule i'd say purewool pills a lot, but i made a pair of shorties on PW last summer that were AWESOME, held up great (even got thrown in the washing machine once) and not many pills.
If you really want to keep pills at bay you'll probably want to look for cestari or MMW/MMR. i think cestari is the BEST for non pilling and still soft, but mmw is a close second.

As a general rule, the softer it is the more pilly it will get. i can't stand pills, which is why almost everything i knit is on cestari...Also, cestari solids aren't too expensive, so that could be a cheaper option...