Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
NorahsMom
Registered Users
seller

What sports and other activities do your kids participate in?

This includes music, art...any organized activity outside your home. At this point we just sign dd up for random little dance and art classes at our community center (mainly for the social aspect), but she is approaching the age where we are becoming interested in getting her involved in team sports like soccer, tee ball, etc. I'm just tring to come up with other ideas for things to consider. Dh and I both played the usual sports (soccer, baseball/softball, basketball) and played the usual instruments (piano for him, flute and piano for me) and we loved them, but I want to have the option of choosing other things for dd if they seem like a better fit or if she might be interested.

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
kaimon
Registered Users
seller

Re: What sports and other activities do your kids participate in?

DD does gymnastics once a week

Both kids do swimming lessons once a week

They are both in daycare full time so that is more than enough for now!
DS will get another activity when he's old enough to express a desire for one. DD was almost 3 when she started gymnastics.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have 2 in violin. (6 and 8) once a week.

My oldest daughter does a photography class through her online school, and so does my 13 year old.

I have 3 that will be taking fencing in january.

That really is it. We keep extras to a minimum here.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
silvaheyes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest (4) is in ballet, tap, and tumbling at a local dance studio. She took swimming lessons during the summer. I just found out we have an art/pottery place in town that I plan to go check out for maybe some art lessons for her.

Our almost 2 year old will start ballet and tumbling when she turns 3 at the same studio.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #5
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DD is 4-- ballet, gymnastics, soccer, swimming lessons, and preschool.

DFS is 2 and does soccer and preschool ( and OT, PT, ST, feeding therapy, visitation with bios).
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both of my boys (10 and 6) are in Taekwondo. I hated sports outside of street hockey which is a far cry from an "organized activity" and dh smashed his ankle requiring two surgeries playing school football in 8th grade. Neither of our kids have shown any real desire to become involved in team sports anyway. Tharen (6) would like to do rollerderby (we skate at least once a week as a family) and he has been invited to join a co-ed league that just started locally but it is in the town north of here and one of the required nights is Wednesday when DH teaches TKD classes. Even if I could drive that far (technically I can drive I just don't often and never on the highway any more) we only have one car so obviously this is not presently an option for us. We are trying to figure out a way around this. He would also love to do dancing. He is not loving TKD but he desperately needs a physical outlet and he could use the discipline. It is also next to impossible for us to involve one of the kids in an activity separately from the other at this point. Having dh and both of the boys doing the same activity, especially with dh teaching part time at the studio makes TKD incredibly affordable for us as a family and though the time commitment is steep at least they are all together not us trying to run from place to place all of the time. I do need to find some sort of music lessons for both of the boys. Kearnan wants to play the violin and Tharen wants to learn an instrument of some sort.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
amberdawn723
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We put our 4 year old in soccer. She enjoyed it. In the beginning of the season she was super interested in running and waving at us on the sidelines....by the end of the season she was super interested in picking flowers and talking to the opposing team members during the game. Silly silly girl. I definitely want her to participate in something every year that is physical but I'll let her decide what it is (within financial reason anyways).
Gwendolyn (6-30-15)
amberdawn723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

7 year old DS1- TaeKwonDo (includes separate extra patterns classes, sparring classes, forms classes, etc), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Cub Scouts

4 year old DS2- TaeKwonDo

We all do TKD 3 nights a week, DS1 & I do BJJ 5 nights a week, CS is once a week with different activities each meeting & outings (sports, camping, etc) about every other weekend. You could say that DS2 also does CS since he comes along to all events, but cant be actively enrolled until next year. TKD & BJJ is year round, CS is only during the school year. The TKD school offers teams and weapons at older age groups, but he isn't old enough yet.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
ARogers
Registered Users
seller
seller

5 yo DS - soccer, karate, will be doing tee ball in the spring
2yo DD - ballet, will be doing soccer next year

I will probably enroll them both in swimming during the summer.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5 and 7 y/o boys do swim lessons
My 7 y/o son is also in cub scouts and he thinks he wants to try wrestling, I think it goes for 1.5 months.
We have tried soccer a couple of times and it was fun but neither one of them wanted to stick with it.
My oldest ds did dance for 2 years (ballet, tap, tumbling combo) but then he decided it is only for girls and quit
Kindermusic was awesome. I took both boys to that for 3 years.
We gave gymnastics a try with oldest ds for 4 weeks, he didn't want to continue