Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ugh...what would you do?

We seemed to be kind of keeping ammonia at bay during the day, but we have to use bleach with every. single. wash. If I don't they smell unbearable in the morning. DS was in sposies overnight for a few months because of these problems and he's back in, but we're still having issues.
Would you still continue to CD overnight if you had to use bleach in EVERY cycle, and your child still woke up a little red and the diaper stunk strongly of ammonia/pee (even his cotton pjs smell like it when he doesn't leak.)
I feel silly as I write this, hearing myself I KNOW I need to switch back to sposies, but I just hate them! I spent so much money on my stash and spending the extra money on sposies is just such a bummer!

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Lanasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ugh...what would you do?

I use bleach in most loads? I'm not opposed to it. We have hard city water and that keeps my diapers clean and my babies bum not red. Now I don't use much, but I often will take out all my pocket shells and bleach the heck out of my microfiber inserts. And sometimes I use a teeny bit of bleach on the shells too. I always line dry and haven't had any problems. A bottle of bleach every now and then is a heck of a lot cheaper than sposies! Thats just my two cents!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

But even WITH bleach in every cycle he wakes up red and very stinky. Not rashy per se, just red.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would try breathable covers over the nighttime diaper to help prevent redness.

I have to soak nighttime inserts in a wet pail and run a rinse/spin cycle with bleach with the contents of the wet pail EVERY wash, it's like the wet pail pre-wash. Then add the rest of the diapers. To me it's just the routine and it works. So yep, I'd continue!

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
AthenaHandKnits
Registered Users
seller
seller

if it works, then continue...

have you tried vinegar instead? do you rinse the night dipes first thing in the morning?

there's a thread somewhere about vinegar soaking to get rid of ammonia. lemme see if i can find it....
Old 12-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #6
mrsashleyo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thee was a post on here not too long ago with an article about how bleach makes ammonia worse. There is a reaction when there is bleach residue in the dipes then they get peed in. I have this issue from time to time as well. I usually use oxy clean ( generic usually) every load and rinse rinse. When I get build up I wash then do another wash with a bit of blue dawn. Then rinse rinse! I have also boiled all of my inserts once and you wouldn't believe the crap that comes off!!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
thirdtimemomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
We seemed to be kind of keeping ammonia at bay during the day, but we have to use bleach with every. single. wash. If I don't they smell unbearable in the morning. DS was in sposies overnight for a few months because of these problems and he's back in, but we're still having issues.
Would you still continue to CD overnight if you had to use bleach in EVERY cycle, and your child still woke up a little red and the diaper stunk strongly of ammonia/pee (even his cotton pjs smell like it when he doesn't leak.)
I feel silly as I write this, hearing myself I KNOW I need to switch back to sposies, but I just hate them! I spent so much money on my stash and spending the extra money on sposies is just such a bummer!
I can tell you what I did.. I boiled my diapers to strip them totally clean. Then I changed my routine to keep them that way. And Now we use flushable liners at bedtime to be sure.
thirdtimemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
firsttimeclothmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysniris View Post
I would try breathable covers over the nighttime diaper to help prevent redness.
this is my thought, too.. what is your current nighttime stash? maybe it's just the type/material he's in for so long that causes the redness...

It's about what's simple, too.. if it's gonna cause you stress to try new options and/or buy new/more expensive nighttime cloth, than go to sposies. Not worth the headaches
Old 12-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
AthenaHandKnits
Registered Users
seller
seller

Here it is:

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...hlight=vinegarWe also use oxy clean every other wash or so.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
minneapolisite
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A couple hours soaking in vinegar made my ammonia disappear.
At-home mom of DAK (Oct 2011) and #2 (Oct 2014)
minneapolisite is offline   Reply With Quote