Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ugh...what would you do?

I've tried oxyclean, vinager soaks, boiling inserts and dawn.
I just rinse the pee diapers with warm water right now, then do a splash of TTO in the diaper pail. It seems to work as good as anything else, but not exactly "working" either. Maybe I could try bac out? That's the only thing I haven't tried.
I'm using an sbish snapless with 2 extra sbish bamboo doublers at night with a fleece liner and WCW soaker, so it is breathable. He seems to leak out of anything else.
My wash routine:
1 warm short cycle with tide original powder and bleach
1 hot long cycle with tide original powder (full amount)
1 warm short cycle with nothing (besides ecover on occasion) to get the bubbles out.
I don't have hard water, but my machine is a water saver (opn rinse cycles only.)

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Seriously, I just feel this morning. I feel like I've tried EVERYTHING. He just has super strong pee or something.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #13
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Try a wet pail for the night diapers, then a rinse/spin with bleach on wash day. I add a little dish soap to the wet pail. IDK why it works but it's made the biggest difference for us. I think the wet pail soak helps get the diapers rinsed well/slows bacterial growth (not as much oxygen available) and then the bleach helps disinfect. For us, vinegar makes things worse. I have an HE FL washer!

ETA -- my wet pail is just a small bucket next to the washing machine...nothing fancy

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've actually considered that, I'll definietly give that a try! It's basically my last option, so I hope it works!
Thanks!

ETA: Any dish soap, or dawn? Right now we just have generic stuff. I think it's ajax.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #15
luvinmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use to have this problem too. I put a thin layer of cjs butter all over his diaper area before bed and we use prefolds and flats (they are easier to get clean and anytime I use microfiber at night it stinks) at night with a fleece or wool cover. I dont do anything special with the night time diapers. they go in the pail with everything else. I would boil your inserts like PP suggested (if thats what your using?) and start from there.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #16
bigmamakelsey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I've tried boiling with no avail. We use CJ's every night (which DOES help!) but we still have redness. Flats and prefolds are out of the question though, DS is a super soaker. Even with a fitted with 2 inserts PLUS 2 large doublers and a wool soaker, he is completely soaked in the morning.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 AM   #17
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just use dish soap -- whatever we have. I think I've used Sun and the Kirkland "environmentally friendly" dish soap. Just a little squirt to keep it from smelling yucky

Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinmommy View Post
We use to have this problem too. I put a thin layer of cjs butter all over his diaper area before bed and we use prefolds and flats (they are easier to get clean and anytime I use microfiber at night it stinks) at night with a fleece or wool cover. I dont do anything special with the night time diapers. they go in the pail with everything else. I would boil your inserts like PP suggested (if thats what your using?) and start from there.
I used to boil every so often, but it got to be kind of a hassle of coordination for me AND it was reaching the point where I would have to boil every 3-4 uses or else my son would get ammonia burns. I think it's his stinky/strong toddler pee (he's 2 1/2) and the fact that we use big BabyKicks hemp PFs in the nighttime diapers.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:28 AM   #19
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamakelsey View Post
I've tried oxyclean, vinager soaks, boiling inserts and dawn.
I just rinse the pee diapers with warm water right now, then do a splash of TTO in the diaper pail. It seems to work as good as anything else, but not exactly "working" either. Maybe I could try bac out? That's the only thing I haven't tried.
I'm using an sbish snapless with 2 extra sbish bamboo doublers at night with a fleece liner and WCW soaker, so it is breathable. He seems to leak out of anything else.
My wash routine:
1 warm short cycle with tide original powder and bleach
1 hot long cycle with tide original powder (full amount)
1 warm short cycle with nothing (besides ecover on occasion) to get the bubbles out.
I don't have hard water, but my machine is a water saver (opn rinse cycles only.)
Try your first cycle as a cold wash- warm can set stains as well as odor. I also wouldn't add anything to your initial rinse. Try your additional rinse in hot water and see what happens.
I also use a squirt of original blue Dawn to every long hot wash in addition to my Tide.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #20
apeacefulway
Registered Users
seller

Is your machine rinsing enough? I think some ammonia issues are caused by poor rinsing in the machine. I often will add some extra water before the cycle and then run and extra rinse too. No stink/ammonia issues whatsoever.
apeacefulway is offline   Reply With Quote