Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Food rut-need new ideas!

We are in a major food rut so I need some ideas! We do not eat any red meat due to an allergy (ds2) or most processed foods (bad reaction to preservatives). We mostly eat stir fry, casseroles with fresh ingredients (no canned soups), chili, soups, etc. We do eat chicken, turkey and fish but are growing tired of the same things all the time. I could use some fresh recipes. Vegetarian would be nice, something that would stand on its own that I could add meat to if we wanted to.

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 10:05 AM   #2
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: Food rut-need new ideas!

This recipe is fairly new to me, and I LOVE it! It's called Delicious Ham & Potato Soup. It takes about 45 minutes start to finish, it's easy, uses "real" ingredients, and the leftovers are good.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Spinach lasagna is a favorite here. Sauté 1 large bunch of fresh or thawed drained spinach with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 finely diced onion (or you can sub onion powder), and 1 clove minced garlic. Stir in one brick cream cheese.

Layer lasagna noodles, spinach mixture, mozzarella cheese, and favorite pasta sauce. Bake at 350.

I'm not incompetent. Autocorrect is. Sent from my iPad.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM   #4
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
This recipe is fairly new to me, and I LOVE it! It's called Delicious Ham & Potato Soup. It takes about 45 minutes start to finish, it's easy, uses "real" ingredients, and the leftovers are good.
He has a pork allergy . I guess I could make it meat free though?

Quote:
Originally Posted by veveland View Post
Spinach lasagna is a favorite here. Sauté 1 large bunch of fresh or thawed drained spinach with 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 finely diced onion (or you can sub onion powder), and 1 clove minced garlic. Stir in one brick cream cheese.

Layer lasagna noodles, spinach mixture, mozzarella cheese, and favorite pasta sauce. Bake at 350.

Thanks! That sounds tasty!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
veveland
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have you tried lentil tacos (search for the recipe on allrecipes.com)? My meat-and-potatoes DH LOVES these!

We love omelets with all sorts of veggies and cheese (we like to grill tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and peppers first). Everyone gets to choose what they want.

You could use ground turkey for cheeseburger meatloaf (meat, onion, egg, oats, worcestershire sauce, cheddar cheese, topped with BBQ sauce).

Butternut squash and apple soup

White chicken chili

Taco soup (can sub ground turkey or chicken)

Bean and cheese burritos or quesadillas

Chicken nachos (we use any leftover chicken)

Veggie pasta Alfredo

Baked potato bar

Loaded potato soup

If you want any of those recipes, LMK

Last edited by veveland; 12-13-2011 at 11:54 AM.
veveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Bummer about the allergy. Feel free to check out my blog for other ideas. If you click on Recipe Index at the top, you can find sections for dinners, snacks, etc.

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

I'm a new vegetarian and this afternoon I'm putting together a recipe binder of meals that are vegetarian friendly I'm pulling out recipes from a cook book I borrowed from the library, and here's one I'm typing up to include in my binder (I haven't tested it yet but the picture looks really good!)

From the book Taste of Home Casseroles:
Meatless Chili Bake-
2 1/2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
1 can (15 ounces) vegetarian chili with beans
1 jar (12 ounces) chunky salsa
1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained (I'll use frozen corn or frozen peas for this)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. In a large bowl, combine the chili, salsa and corn. Add pasta; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 2 qt baking dish/ sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered at 400' for 25-3- minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.

I'll add more if I find other recipes that sound good

Last edited by myfrugalfunlife; 12-13-2011 at 12:43 PM.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

From Taste of Home Casseroles
(this sounds like it would be a good breakfast/brunch casserole)
Grilled Cheese in a Pan
1 tube crescent rolls
4 cups (1 cup each) shredded Muenster, Monterrey Jack, Swiss and Cheddar cheese
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, sliced
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp sesame seeds

Unroll crescent roll dough; divide in half. Seal perforations. Line an ungreased 8-inch square baking pan with half the dough. Layer with the cheese. Pour egg on top. Top with remaining dough. Brush with butter; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake, uncovered, at 350’ for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yields 9 servings
Old 12-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Nightowl Jan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

try this:buy some puff pastry, roll it out alittle...
the u can fill it with anything: cooked shrimp and a dallop of seasoned cream cheese, fine diced medley of veggies mixed with seasonings and sour cream or shredded cheese, pieces of precooked poultry with sauteed mushrooms, etc....
you put a bit sized ammount on the puff pastry in rows of 3 with 4 in a row making twelve evenly spaced dallops. cut around each dallop and bring pastry up around the filling pinching it completely closed then turn it over seam side down on your baking sheet, i like to use parchment paper or a sil pat. arrange them leaving space between them.
bake at 400 for 20 minutes until light golden brown and puffy.
let cool and eat! I like to do 2 dozen at a time because the puff pastry box comes with 2 sheets.

It is also a fun party ours d' ouvre. (spelled that wrong)

I recently made mini beef wellingtons this way, precooking 1 inch cubes of beef only by searing them quickly on 2 sides them i minced and sauteed mushrooms with garlic and put a little dallop of that mixture with a piece of beef on top and they were sooo good.

The variations are endless! Just remember to precook your filling cuz it is only in the oven long enough to heat through and cook the pastry.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

From Taste of Home Casseroles
Tortellini Broccoli Bake
1 pkg (19 ounces) frozen cheese tortellini, cooked and drained
1 pkg (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
2 tbsp chopped onion
Cheese sauce:
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
In a large bowl, combine the tortellini, broccoli, pimientos, and onion; set aside. In a saucepan, saute garlic in butter for one minute. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Gradually stir in milk until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese until melted. Fold into broccoli mixture. Transfer to a greased 2 qt baking dish. Cover and bake at 350’ for 40-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly, stirring twice. Top with remaining Parmesan. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield 4-6 servings