Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Someone talk me out of this OB

So the OB I wanted is not accepting patients until 1 Feb... That would put me at 12w4d for my first ultrasound, first bloodwork, first step foot in a doctor's office... Is it crazy to wait that long? Do you think the doc will be upset with me that I waited that long?

With my first pregnancy they didn't see me until 11w3d (even after I protested - I was in the Air Force at the time so I had to go with the flow). I've heard of many women who never have ultrasounds or bloodwork done ever so wouldn't a few more weeks be ok?

The list of available OBs was 219 Docs long and I'm new to this area. I asked a few ladies I knew and he was the only one that anyone recommended... I dont know how to pick one?

Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
andyoly82
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny
So the OB I wanted is not accepting patients until 1 Feb... That would put me at 12w4d for my first ultrasound, first bloodwork, first step foot in a doctor's office... Is it crazy to wait that long? Do you think the doc will be upset with me that I waited that long?

With my first pregnancy they didn't see me until 11w3d (even after I protested - I was in the Air Force at the time so I had to go with the flow). I've heard of many women who never have ultrasounds or bloodwork done ever so wouldn't a few more weeks be ok?

The list of available OBs was 219 Docs long and I'm new to this area. I asked a few ladies I knew and he was the only one that anyone recommended... I dont know how to pick one?
With DS the drs saw me at 9 weeks. I was in the army then but was considered high risk. With my loss I wasn't seen until 11 weeks. Honestly I say do what you are comfortable with. Being new to an area is scary. You could always start off with a dr and if you don't like him then transfer to the one you like. Idk I'm no help!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Deanie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Someone talk me out of this OB

When I was pregnant with DD we were new to the area and I went to one doctor to have the official pee in a cup pregnancy test, then decided I wanted to deliver at a different hospital than the one she worked with. So I went to doc # 2. He was nice, but I was insanely rushed in each appmnt and the office staff was grouchy. So I went to Dr (midwife/RN) #3 (recommended by some people I knew) and was very happy with her, but not her assistant. I prayed that I would get the midwife I preferred for delivery and luckily I did.

However, this time around I'm going to ANOTHER person who is right around the corner from me and also comes highly recommended and also delivers at the best hospital in the area.

If there's no reason to suspect any problems, I don't think it's odd to not go to the doctor until later. Just ask a ton of people and I'm sure you'll find out who to go to and who not to. And you can always change, like I did!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:

I agree, I don't think there's anything wrong with waiting until 12 weeks.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

After I posted here I got hold of my mom and she suggested I call and ask if the doc would have a problem with waiting. The nurse suggested a going to a different doc in the practice and then switching if I still want to see the other one. So, I guess that's what I will do! Kind of dissapointing, but I guess I should give him a shot first. Thanks ladies!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DDC - I never had an early u/s, and didn't have my first prenatal appt (for labs and whatnot) until 12wk4d
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would have been just fine with waiting, but I was worried the doc would be upset when he realized I waited. I didnt want to start the "relationship" off on the wrong foot. Guess its good I asked them the question since they wouldn't let me!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
NikiG
Registered Users
seller

I'm in Canada, so it might be different if you're in the US, but have you considered just going with a family doctor? I'm seeing a family doc and have had a wonderful experience so far. Unless your having a difficult or high risk pregnancy, a family doc is just as capable (and easier to get) than an OB, which is actually a type of surgeon. Just food for thought and slightly off topic.
NikiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #9
RunawayBunny
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its completely doable in the US (several of my preggo budies last time used family doctors), but my insurance is very specific about who I can see. They are all OBs and I can't even see the midwives (NPs) in the same practice as the OB I am going to see! Its silly...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #10
lilbitcrunchy
Registered Users
Formerly: lovnbabygabi
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayBunny View Post
I would have been just fine with waiting, but I was worried the doc would be upset when he realized I waited. I didnt want to start the "relationship" off on the wrong foot. Guess its good I asked them the question since they wouldn't let me!
I thought the nurse just "suggested" it? Did she actually ask them? What would be the difference if say for instance you had just moved to the area a at 11 weeks and were starting care there? The first appointment is all kinds of boring