Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Have a hard question about nursing after C-section

I am going to have to have a PET scan before I leave the hospital after I deliver. I am about 90% certain that this will make it so I will have to pump and dump for about 12 hours after I get the radioactive dye. I am having a planned c-section with NO labor.

Assuming a normal c-section hospital stay, when would you recommend I do this PET scan if I have a choice? In other words, when would you think is the best time to have a 12 hour break from nursing?

I am trying to figure out what I need to ask my oncologist and my OB in the coming weeks about my birth plan, which I know this after birth, but still there.

Thank you!

Advertisement

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
NeilsRene
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
I am going to have to have a PET scan before I leave the hospital after I deliver. I am about 90% certain that this will make it so I will have to pump and dump for about 12 hours after I get the radioactive dye. I am having a planned c-section with NO labor.

Assuming a normal c-section hospital stay, when would you recommend I do this PET scan if I have a choice? In other words, when would you think is the best time to have a 12 hour break from nursing?

I am trying to figure out what I need to ask my oncologist and my OB in the coming weeks about my birth plan, which I know this after birth, but still there.

Thank you!
I'm thinking day 3, if you go home on day 4. That way you can start nursing again before you go home.
NeilsRene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
myclanof6
Registered Users
seller
seller

I delivered by c/s on Friday morning and would have been sent home Sunday if dd wasn't jaundiced. Usually it's a 2-3 day stay. I would probably do it on day 2 just to be sure I had one extra day in the hospital, but I'm not sure if your situation requires more than a typical stay. My suggestion would be either day 2 or 3.
I lift my eyes unto the hills, Where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, The Maker of Heaven and Earth. And I'll praise You in this storm and I will lift my hands, For You are who You are no matter where I am, And every tear I've cried You hold in Your hand, You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise You in this storm
myclanof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Have a hard question about nursing after C-section

My prior c-sections were a 5 day stay because I had great insurance and a NICU baby(ies) and a 1 hour drive home. I think standard at this hospital is 4 day (including delivery day). I am hoping for NO NICU this time, and it is a bit early to tell if I will need extra time in the hospital. However based on what they are telling me I think I would be standard even if the worst happened (full term baby but needing a hysterectomy at the same time).
Old 01-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I would talk to your OB and insurance. I was covered for up to 4 days for an uncomplicated c section. I was asked if I wished to go home on day 2 but wished to stay the full 4 days for maximum recovery time.

I would have the scan done with 24 hours still remaining of your stay to get whatever aid you need to resume nursing.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I should also say that both of my prior nurslings took to it like a duck to water. DD was intubated for her first 2 months and they said that she would have problems. She didn't. DS didn't even wait for the lactation consultant to come before he latched on. He was HUNGRY! Kind of like now only without a boob!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hmm. I would probably do Day 2, so you have days 3 and 4 to ensure everything is going well and the lactation consultants can see you in case that break does compromise things. Plus the first two days if you cannot nurse they only get like half an ounce of formula every feeding so it wouldn't be much formula, if you are not into formula.

What day did your milk come in with other babies? I would rather pump and dump first milk than colostrum, so if your milk doesn't come in quickly my answer would change.
Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #8
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I delivered the triplets at 24 weeks. I think it took a good week or more for my milk to come in with them. I remember taking the bottles with only a drop in them. It was really sad.

With my son I think it was a day or 2. He couldn't eat for 3 days and I know I couldn't build up any stash for him in that time. By the time he came home at 6 days, I had I think one or 2 bottles in the freezer (2 oz bottles though they were not filled). However that was just from the night I wasn't with him. I was released on a Wednesday and he was released the next day. He was given formula for a couple of feedings because of this.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 AM   #9
Pampered Mama
Registered Users
Formerly: JASMommy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you know which dye they will be using?
You have probably already seen this page from kellymom, but in case you haven't-
http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...radioisotopes/

It has a table with the different radioactive isotopes used and the lactation risk level of each.

It also states "Important note: If you do suspend breastfeeding due to use of radioactive isotopes, it is important to pump regularly during this time. See also Maintaining milk supply when baby is not nursing. You do not need to dump this milk. It can be dated, frozen and used after 5+ half-lives of the radioisotope have passed (after 5 half-lives, 96.9% of the radiation is gone; after 10 half-lives, 99.9% of the radiation is gone). You may also get your milk checked for radiation by your radiology/nuclear medicine department."

Pampered Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks that helps! I think I will print that off to bring to my oncologist office next week. I would sort of like to figure this out now rather then waiting till later.

I know I have a small amount of barium with my PET scan but I also am given something that is really radioactive. The test itself isn't radioactive comparatively though. My oncologist said that I actually get less radiation with the PET scan then I do with a CT scan (the other test that she orders on me). I just don't want to leave my newborn baby for 2-3 hours after I leave the hospital so I want the test done before I leave.