Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #1
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

help my poor finger: re knitting pain!

I am teaching myself to knit and I am using my pointy finger on the right hand to poke the needle and OUCH! it is sore. I have only been knitting 2 days so I don't have it down pat yet. Is there a special thimble or something? Thanks.

Advertisement

misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Bukawww
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would guess that you are knitting too tightly. Don't worry about making your stitches tight - it will only make the project hard to work and hurt your poor finger! The needle size is what determines gauge - let it.

As soon as a good friend pointed this out, my sore finer healed right up and now I knit easily and pain free
DS WAHM thread
Bukawww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 01:31 AM   #3
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: help my poor finger: re knitting pain!

I have had this super bad habit and you need to break it before you do like I did and poke a hole in your finger that takes weeks to heal. Ok, so, pinch the top of the left needle and push down that way. It wont break your knitting tension or stride, and it SUPER saves your finger, which will get worse as you knit more and more.
EskimoStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I had that problem using too pointy needles. And I am not a tight knitter. I was using Boye interchangeable which have a nice sharp point, and they just didn't work for me. I haven't not had that problem since changing needles.

My solution was a band-aid. It covered the hole and worked, and I would make sure to lotion regularly because that helped too.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
mmmarmalade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yup... bandaids. Now my finger is kinda callused, so I don't need anything unless my hands get too dry. I also saw some disposable stick on thimbles at my local yarn shop. I think they're more for embroiderers, but they work for knitters who push their needles too. They were like $5 for a pack of 20 or something. I've tried to break the habit, but it just works better for me to push my needles. I'm a pretty fast knitter so I don't want to change my stride now. Don't want to slow myself up . Bandaids (especially the fingertip ones) work great.

Marmalade Baby
mmmarmalade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
misidawnrn
Registered Users
seller

Thanks ladies. I have practiced today without poking the tip of the needle and it is working much better. I am only on day 3 of this knitting thing and it is probably good to break a bad habit now. It is still hard to not poke but I am going to practice not doing it.
misidawnrn is offline   Reply With Quote