Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM   #1
AKM
Registered Users

MMR separate?

I've been reading up on vaccinations and told the ped today that I'd like to delay DS's MMR (he got his last dose of Hib) and not get varicella at all (until/unless it's absolutely necessary for school or something). I asked if the MMR could be given as individual shots, as recommended in Dr. Cave's book, since it sounds logical to me and he said that they don't come that way. Is that true? Has anyone been able to have the MMR as separate shots? I just want to be sure he's just not interested in looking into it.

After what I've read, I'm just real nervous about the risks. If anyone has any suggestions/advice for me, please let me know. I checked out a couple of sites from the sticky, but they are very anti-vax and just make me more scared. My husband thinks I'm freaking out (I probably am). I shutter to think, what if something happened?

Thanks in advance,

Advertisement

AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: MMR separate?

I asked this too and my Dr. said they do not come separate So I am delaying Noah's till he is 4 and then again right before school age I hth.

Here is the site I love to use for reference. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T085200.asp
Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #3
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Also we have had almost all of Noah's shots, I have delayed his MMR, Pox, and one other (hep b i think) anyway don't let anyone strong arm you but be prepared with your facts and also listen to what they (dr.'s) have to say. They are there to help you and provide you with info, however sometimes I think they are on the side of the vax makers. Just my 2cents
Old 04-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #4
madcowbaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKM View Post
I asked if the MMR could be given as individual shots, as recommended in Dr. Cave's book, since it sounds logical to me and he said that they don't come that way. Is that true?
it is absolutely NOT true! my ped said the same thing to me, but after researching it more and talking to other friends, i have found that they DO make them separate. what your doc probably means is that he doesn't order/carry it that way -- cleverly worded to make you think that it isn't a possibility at all.

jmo, but i left the practice who told me that...i won't put up with anyone who intentionally misleads me, much less PAY them to do so.
madcowbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #5
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

I also asked this when we were thinking about delay vaxing, and our Ped said they don't/won't do that.

They CAN get the vax's seperately, but it's a PITA for them, and most Docs don't see the need for it, so they will just tell you no.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
AKM
Registered Users

That's what I was in a way afraid of. I'm not good at confrontation. So, do I change docs, but then how do I find one that will be any more interested in my wishes to delay the vax schedule?

To those who have found good docs, how did you find them?

Last edited by AKM; 04-19-2007 at 08:53 PM.
AKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
singlemomto3
Registered Users
seller

I think its a serious thing, they can order it seperate, they just don't want to, so want us to think it isn't possible. I just decided if they won't order it the way i want it, then i'm not doing it til way later. He's almost 2 but i'm not comfortable with how they pressure you to do them all/now.

Do your research on MMR because those are the diseases that are the least worrysome, and also the shot that does the most harm and least amount of effectiveness.

Last edited by singlemomto3; 04-19-2007 at 08:54 PM.
singlemomto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It can be done, but I've never known a Ped that orders them as seperates. Some can't. Some have to order certain ones.

There's really not a reason in the world most kids need the MMR anyways. Measles, Mumps and Rubella aren't generally any more dangerous than Chicken Pox. It's a very reactive dangerous vaccine. The only one I'm more opposed to is the DTaP.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Check your local health department. Sometimes if you are willing to pay extra they will order them for you.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #10
Weezy6703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't know they could order it seperate ways. When I was checking into the ingredients and such in the MMR vaccine they gave me a package insert and that particular mmr vaccine certainly DID NOT come seperately. All 3 came in one vaccine. But being ds is on Medicaid and we do want vaxes so we are going with it.