Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!
knitters, how much yarn (and what type) will I need for a STIH?

I'm wondering what type of yarn will work best for a Springtime in Hollis sweater and how much yarn should I be planning to buy/budget for? DD currently wears knits in size 24mo and 2T depending on the pattern but I'm thinking I'd like it a little bigger so maybe a 2T/3T if that's a size option or maybe 3T.

I've seen some photos on ravelry where it's done as a pullover? Do you prefer it as a cardigan or pullover?

And please don't say "ask your knitter" b/c I haven't chosen a knitter yet...I need to look at the list of licensed knitters before figuring out who I'll go with.

Oh, and feel free to post pics of your finished STIH sweaters for inspiration

Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
Queen_Celeste
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: knitters, how much yarn (and what type) will I need for a STIH?

You are going to need between 500 and 600 yards. If you are doing a colorway and a solid trim, I would have at least 8 ounces of colorway and 2 ounces of trim.
Queen_Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
amyltc
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by divabeadz View Post
I'm wondering what type of yarn will work best for a Springtime in Hollis sweater and how much yarn should I be planning to buy/budget for? DD currently wears knits in size 24mo and 2T depending on the pattern but I'm thinking I'd like it a little bigger so maybe a 2T/3T if that's a size option or maybe 3T.

I've seen some photos on ravelry where it's done as a pullover? Do you prefer it as a cardigan or pullover?

And please don't say "ask your knitter" b/c I haven't chosen a knitter yet...I need to look at the list of licensed knitters before figuring out who I'll go with.

Oh, and feel free to post pics of your finished STIH sweaters for inspiration
I think worsted super wash ideally but most worsted/ Aran yarns work too. I'd say 8 oz plus trim for short sleeve and 10 oz plus trim for long sleeve w hood I've never tried it pullover but I like the cardigan mostly because it's easier to get on and off. I think it runs a bit big. Here are some I've done :

This was Aran bfl, elliebelly teasure, I used about 7 oz plus trim, size 2t ( still fits and she wears 4t now)

Aatd thanksgiving on bbr

Mm vintage day gown, bulky Gaia

Last edited by amyltc; 12-15-2011 at 06:38 PM.
amyltc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
ShyViolet
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I recommend Worsted Superwash

I knit a 2T STIH for my DD last year and it took about 7oz of colorway and I forget how much trim but I believe it was over 2oz. Sorry for the bad pic

ShyViolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
boogamama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm currently knitting my daughter a size 4 STIH using 8 oz. colorway on Kona SW worsted and 4 oz. trim. The body of the sweater is finished, and I will have just enough colorway for long sleeves, but I am fairly certain I won't have enough colorway for the hood. I should have enough trim color for the hood, though.

The Kona SW worsted is 210 yards per 4 oz., so I should be able to knit a size 4 with 630 yards (but I'm thinking it will be close!). So, I would purchase at least 3 skeins (2 skeins main colorway/2-4 oz. trim) for a size 2 just to make sure there's more than enough yarn. Hope this gives you an idea.

Last edited by boogamama; 12-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.
boogamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #6
divabeadz
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: In a turn of the century farmhouse with my 2 favorite people!

Thanks Momma's...this is super helpful! I'm thinking of doing all colorway (no trim color) and without the hood because she already has a sleuthing hoodie and I also want to have a Wendy made for her so those both have hoods. I thought the STIH in a pretty spring colorway will be really nice. I have a colorway in mind already. I looked at the list of knitters and although the knitter I was hoping to ask isn't on the list, I see a lot of knitters I love so I'm glad I won't have to do much searching to find someone to knit it.

The other thing I'm dying to have made for dd this spring is the SMSS handspun pinafore. That is so stinking cute and stylish. I really wish I liked to knit. :boo hoo: (yes, I'm aware boo hoo isn't a real emoticon...lol!)
Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
JustAugust
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This was ours, knit by Connorsmama on here. She did amazing work!

I can knit now, and if I make one, I'll make the pull over version. Just easier when they are small, imo. But I think they are stunning either way!
Old 12-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #8
knit~it~good
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The STIH is my favorite sweater pattern to knit!

I've used MMW and pure wool on them so far and both are great!

Pure wool( 18 months, use less than two color way skeins and one trim)

MMW( 18 months and used two CW skeins and 2 oz of trim for both the sweater and hat)

My Facebook fan page!
knit~it~good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Lynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For her size, if you're going to do all colorway and no hood I'd do 3 skeins. Not the same pattern but the Malcolm Jacket I did for Malcolm in a size 4 (wide ribbed collar, long sleeves, no hood) took just a tiny bit over 2 skeins of Bartlett Yarn (similar to Cestari, BBR, etc.).

My knitting patterns|Licensed knitters
Lynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #10
Aidensmommalove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knit~it~good
The STIH is my favorite sweater pattern to knit!

I've used MMW and pure wool on them so far and both are great!

Pure wool( 18 months, use less than two color way skeins and one trim)

MMW( 18 months and used two CW skeins and 2 oz of trim for both the sweater and hat)
That purewool looks made for ghat sweater!!!!! Absolutely love!!!!